Our partner

Narcs the Future Jobless

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Narcs the Future Jobless

Postby BRI22 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:55 am

While on the alone and aloof side of narcissism I've quit my work for a while to heal since I went on a narc rampage and my last job and my boss was catching on as he tied all the strings to problems at work to me. Which was true completely, and pathetic it took him 2 miserable years.

While job hunting it's been to my misfortune that psychologists have really marketed this witchhunt on us which is in the form of personality tests for job applications.

In my horror it asks just questions to target us narcs...naturally I don't cave into what my natural instincts would say but the answers can get specific and I can't get into a non's head for the answers, I don't know if this is my own deficiency or all of us.

Questions pose as this:

33. ...Does things efficiently:
Strongly Disagree 1 2 3 4 5 Strongly Agree

34. ...Remains calm in tense situations:

35. ...Prefers work that is routine:

36. ...Is outgoing, sociable

37. ...Is sometimes rude to others:

38. ...Makes plans and follows through with them:

39. ...Gets nervous easily:

40. ...Likes to reflect, play with ideas:

The whole point of this test is to root out "unfavorable personalities" which ends up being us as enemy #1. I...fail at these tests and I'm trying to find a way to pass them, as I have no issue in interviews but I don't know what non's say?
Do these damn shrinks want to sculpt us out of jobs entirely since we have "undesirable personalities"

Is this test just a mere tract of personified perfection? At this rate might take me awhile to find a job...what about questions for non's! Where's their test (lol). Non's can be overly emotional scheming prats too but we get the brunt of blame.

My question to the community non's and narc's and questionables alike...what's the future for us in the job market, there's a lot more personality dimension going through job interviews and it's to find us, and avoid us. Are we going to have to get better at hiding our identities or someday will it be easily assessed!
Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Borderline PD, Adjustment Disorder and a pinch of Anti-Social PD = Yours truly.
BRI22
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:03 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Narcs the Future Jobless

Postby ambitiousinspiring » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:03 pm

Haha aren't those stupid empathy tests a bitch? I failed a couple of those when I tried to get my first job. I remember this one question that was geared towards integrity, It was covertly asking if I would steal a coworkers sale, I said hell yes lol!! Idk how the future job market will be for narcs because I think every narc is different. For example I had to learn what was right from wrong and now I can take those test for days and pass with flying colors. I think it depends on the individual narc and how he/she deals with the different environments their in, some will do better than others.

Bri22 why not just ask your non husband to go over them for you? Don't worry, it's very hard to find employment in this economy but keep trying and you will. I have faith in my narc comrades.
ambitiousinspiring
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:03 am

Postby rivergirl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:44 pm

I'm a non (I'm pretty sure, I am anyway), and I think that narcissism is the diagnosis of the day. It's everywhere. Every other day or so I see another story about how to spot a narcissist and avoid him (these stories always say "him"). So yeah, there does seem to be a bit of a witch hunt going on.
rivergirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:03 pm

Postby uniquelyme » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:06 am

Those questions àre geared for customer service oriented jobs as far as I know. So maybe not good for a narc. Even me, I cannot do it.
Its not just the N witch hunt. Its the mentality that the customer is always right and we must offer tissues to the custmer and say "Im sorry" a bazillion times even though things may or not get resolved.
Would you like fries with that?
uniquelyme
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby dherpin » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:18 am

I don't think ive ever passed one of those and I specifically didn't answer how I think but rather, the answer I think they want. eh, if a place of employment wants to dismiss my skills based on my personality, then maybe I don't want to work for them.
dherpin
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby BRI22 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:23 am

I have my non-husband helping me out (who laughs at what I would really answer) yet since he is foreign he tends to have a difficulty to answer on what an American would say.

I don't know if you are supposed to answer like confidently, or what they want, do they want me to say I am extroverted, I prefer to work in teams or alone? Is it likely a coworker would steal if they make low money?

I'm guessing I just have to toy around with it for awhile, I find it a bit funny I'm googling how to pass this damn test. I'm a bit limited on job choices since I'm career switching and in school so it's not like I can have some of your fun narc jobs that you guys have.

The thing is, I mean there are a lot of jobs that are just forbidden to us, anything in the government, military, psychology fields (obviously)...and now some upper-corporate levels and they are bringing this down to even blue collar fields!

Why is everyone so butt-hurt about us? What about those of us who are wanting change, is their a type of word for prejudice against personality disorders? No, well I'm about to make one.

I admit I ###$ up my last job on narc'ing out like a champ but I really learned to not toy with people and plan to not do it (or put off as long as I can).

How do you narcs survive in the work force? I'm thinking to go to a psychologist and trying to get a clean bill of psych (aka #######4 since most are just dumb as hell) health since I do want a really decent job someday and I imagine this psych profiling will be even more popular in the future.

Can I declare it unconstitutional since it prohibits my freedom of expression? Muahahhahahaha.
Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Borderline PD, Adjustment Disorder and a pinch of Anti-Social PD = Yours truly.
BRI22
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:03 am

Postby usr » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Unfortunately, the way I see it in the current job market, personality tests are a filter for a lot of jobs, just as requiring college degrees or certifications are. I have had to look for work within the last 2 years, but only had minimal personality test questions and nothing very lengthy.

I know when the personality-related questions are numerous, they try to find where you are inconsistent on your answers, Narc or not. I would imagine such particular personality questions are trendy and modified by some HR departments. Maybe N is now the current "trendy" focus of some of them for such tests.

I believe if you somewhat know what kind of work you want to do, apply for those jobs. I try to be as honest as I can on job applications and personality traits, but yes, it can be hard to jump through some of the hoops the hiring managers throw at you. I believe it is probably better to find work where you are know overall you are a "good fit" from the start, than to get fired quickly due to your own personality traits.
usr
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby dherpin » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:38 pm

I think rather than single us out, we should be a protected right. I mean, it's not like something we made a clear and cut choice about. I think it's as much choice as your race, you were born that way.
dherpin
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby dherpin » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:52 pm

Yesterday I was hired and fired the same day. I know I did something I don't realize, but I know it wasn't excessive bragging or anything. The problem is I am very qualified at what I do and until I find a respectable job in that field, i'm going to have to work $#%^ jobs, which doesn't make sense for someone of my caliber. So heres what happens, I work some place that I am obviously overqualified for because I need a job and others will ask where I worked before and when I say so, i'm automatic red flags because where I worked before is appropriate for someone of my skill set. So what am I supposed to lie and say I have no experience? I mean with co workers? Cause yesterday, it was ridiculous, I didn't even say anything about ANY of my accomplishments, but just because where I worked they were trying to prove themselves hardcore like "I did this I did that" it's like stfu, I KNOW you're lying. Ive been doing what I do so long that not only can I tell if you're lying about your experience, I know what level your at or how many years youve been doing it. Judging by what mistakes you make. So that kind of makes it a rough road to walk. The problem lies within people making mistakes because they are trying to prove something they don't need to prove nor do I care and when they make mistakes, easy blame the asshole who never once said anything bad about you or anything, you see? It makes me want to say I know nothing about what I do, when it's very clear I am talented, so either way im screwed.
dherpin
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post