Our partner

a narcissistic nurse - to narcissists

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: narcbolan, masquerade, Esquire

a narcissistic nurse - to narcissists

Postby Ebbie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:11 pm

I'm a non , a university student , I came across a narcissist\ or a malignant narcissist ,, the thing is my major is nursing \ our job is based on interacting with patients .. I'm sure she'd use the patients as a means to narcissistic supply , but how and what damage could she possibly cause to get this supply ?
As in to what extent could she go to obtain her supply ??
Ebbie
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:14 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: a narcissistic nurse - to narcissists

Postby katana » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:21 pm

I don't know but its not inconceivable.

Since I'm neither the caring type or interested in working in that kind of profession, its hard to comment on how far she'd be able to go. Think someone once suggested I should become a therapist,###$ that :lol:
katana
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby inevitableaversion » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Having people depend on her for their lively hood might be supply to her, but if those same people needed her help outside of her profession in her personal life she would brush them off most likely. They are not people, but things begging for her ability to help them.
inevitableaversion
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:14 am

Postby BRI22 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:01 pm

I am a malignant narc and was an EMT/firefighter 1 and CNA.

Was 8)

Well. I think for the situation every narc is different of course so my experience won't necessarily reflect. While I was a CNA, I was the best (nooo I'm not just saying that lol) I treated my patients better than their own family could, they were innocent in my eyes...in need of protecting. From who? The evil nurses of course! Why evil? Because those lazy asses never answer call lights, they don't actually check on their patients and they only care about them if there is something REALLY wrong, in which they kick my ass out the door like I am the one who caused it.

I admired doctors, ended up sleeping with a married one (another story)...So I didn't get my supply from patients, I got it from doctors/nurses and sometimes the family. My boss cried when I quit. The only time I would lash out at a patient is if they treated me like $#%^, but all I would do is just have someone else take care of it...I'm not vindictive to someone sick, in a sense they were my perfect child while everyone else was screwed up.

As an RN. I think they will take a loooong time writing up their reports, probably show off at how well they are treating them but in actuality they will probably neglect them. Narc's tend to not be physical (it would ruin our reputation) **then again some are. It's not a good combination to have a narc as a nurse...but then again there's a ###$ ton of non's who sit on their ass watching their patients get bed sores because they are too lazy to turn them every 2 hours. To me, that narc is probably better than half the unit.
Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Borderline PD, Adjustment Disorder and a pinch of Anti-Social PD = Yours truly.
BRI22
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:14 pm

Postby Esquire » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:08 pm

Honestly, it's going to depend on the day.

One day, she'll be trying to prove how awesome she is and will do everything to the best of her ability.

The next day, she'll treat her patients with extra care, because it will make her feel like she's being more giving and attentive than all the other nurses, and is thus Better.

The next day, she'll feel that her patients aren't respecting her for being special and will lay down the law on them.

The point is, it will always be about her, and her feelings and needs at the time.

There's no reason to think she'll be worse than some lazy non though who's just in it for the paycheck. One good thing about the Narc is that she'll want her superiors to like and respect her, and will want them to say good things about her to everyone so that everyone else will like her and think she's the best nurse on the block, so that means she'll work hard at learning how to do everything as best she can and will try to make an impression on the people who she think matter in life.
Esquire
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:14 am

Postby DNoble1389 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:46 pm

The next day, she'll feel that her patients aren't respecting her for being special and will lay down the law on them.

This is.... Well, If the nurse is getting supply from her job. Then in theory it should make her really good at her job "most" of the time.

Also in theory, as you've said, if the adoration isn't there from coworkers, or her relatives, or in some weird way that she wants she'll take it out on patients, or her fellow coworkers.

This is very similar to when my N parents took in foster children for supply, and then, when no one was looking, mentally abused them for pleasure. Foster children whom had parents that were the farthest away from being able to care for them. If she begins to feel that she can get away with more, and more without getting exposed, this may happen quite frequently. :(

If N's can become envious, and jealous of new born children then ...patients. well, yeah. She likely has jealous feelings every time she see's another nurse working with someone. Thus driving her to be "better" than the rest.

etc, etc
DNoble1389
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post