Our partner

Fictional characters who are Narcissists

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: narcbolan, masquerade, Esquire

Fictional characters who are Narcissists

Postby Esquire » Fri May 31, 2013 7:27 pm

Who are some characters in movies, TV shows, plays, etc, that are obvious Narcs?

I'm thinking Higgins in My Fair Lady is one. He tries to rescue and re-mold Eliza Doolittle into the type of woman that he wants to be seen with. Plus one of the songs in the musical that Higgins sings ends with the line, "Why can't a woman be more like ME?" Pretty obvious Narc if you ask me.

Also, Robert Downey, Jr., plays a Narc in a lot of his roles, particularly in Ironman and in Sherlock Holmes. My guess is that RDJ is a Narc himself, and is basically playing himself in these roles, i.e., that's his real personality.

Any others?
Esquire
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:04 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Fictional characters who are Narcissists

Postby robinlori » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:11 pm

I always felt any Narcissistic traits in characters of movies don't really capture the essence of NPD. In my experience, the "grandiosity" is not as pronounced as movies make it seem. It is more subtle, and thus something that would be boring in a fictional character. Also, movies don't capture the fear of intimacy the way it really is. Or the seething rage masked by emotionlessness. In fact, I would think NPD would be a very difficult disorder to act out as most of the things going on are internal. If anyone on this forum were to make a movie depicting the exact things their NPD partner/parent/child/friend said and did, it would be a very long, drawn out, boring movie. Without all those things, NPD can't be reflected.

That having been said, Patrick Bateman in American Psycho gives an exaggerated manifestation of the inner workings of a person with AsPD. The book details the thoughts and the movie shows those thoughts through the character's actions. I think the internal dialogue he has with himself captures the essence of the disorder:

"There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there."
robinlori
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby PamHelf » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:52 pm

Minguillo Fasan in The Book of Human Skin by Michelle Lovric.

Although he's probably a sociopath as well as a narc. A really good read: -

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Human-Skin-Michelle-Lovric/dp/1408809648/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370120250&sr=8-1&keywords=book+of+human+skin
PamHelf
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:04 am

Postby fr13n » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:08 am

Emily Gilmore, Gilmore Girl drama series.

She fire every maid she has, because they are incompetent and not good enough. She manipulate her daughter and granddaughter to stay with her, or have dinner with her. When she is mad, she gets delusional and call her granddaughter her daughter. Her favorite line of defend is,"what i do is the best for you".
fr13n
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:04 pm

Postby rivergirl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:29 am

Healthcliffe, Wuthering Heights.
rivergirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:04 am

Postby Nieve520 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:12 am

umm Guston from beauty and the beast
Nieve520
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby YesmarriedtoNPD » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:54 am

Don Draper - Mad Men
YesmarriedtoNPD
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:04 pm

Postby Esquire » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:11 pm

YesmarriedtoNPD wrote:Don Draper - Mad Men

Excellent post. Don Draper is like the perfect Narcissist. His character is written so that he doesn't really love anyone, other than himself, of course, and all of his relationships with women and other people lack any sort of real intimacy. He had no problem changing his identity and just up and leaving his parents, never seeing them again, and leaving them to think he was dead, so that he could have a better life. It's clear that there's an arm's length between Don and whichever woman he's married to or sleeping with at the time. And despite his own philandering, his superego is very rigid, as was evident from a recent episode where he called his workplace a whore house because people were being too loosey goosey in the office. Also, I think Peggy Olson is written to be a Narcissist as well, which is why she has always been Don's protege in the office. Note the two of them have never slept together, but Don and Peggy seem to have the kind of mutual respect and cold admiration for each other that two Narcs often have for one another.
Esquire

Postby Eight » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:36 pm

The mother in White Oleander.
I was chilled by that mother when I read the book.
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:04 pm

Postby TooMuchBlue » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:40 pm

The Great Gatsby

Joan Crawford in Mommy Dearsest
TooMuchBlue
Consumer 0
Consumer 0