Our partner

what now?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

what now?

Postby mehconcerned » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:13 pm

So recently i was messing about doing personality tests and it said i was a narcissist. I didnt know what this was so i read about it and found that a lot of these things are similar to how i behave. I do have questions as maybe i am not. Maybe i have a mild form of it? Im hoping some of these things i say maybe are not typical of narcissism and then i will know im just an asshole but at least i can change!

Do all narcissists have a bad childhood. I dont think i had a bad childhood really i didnt have much relationship with my dad he was very distant but i seemed fine with my mum and sister. I have never been one to hug or kiss ect anyone in my family.

I dont care one little bit about any of the suffering in the world. I dont understand why people care about people they dont know. I dont think i understand other peoples feelings at all really. However my recent ex girlfriend i find myself thinking i probably did hurt her and i want to apologise for any wrongs i have caused her. Is that evidence i do have empathy and maybe i am just cold? I know i dont want my mum to die but i dont really worry about anyone else.

I am arrogant and i know i have above average intellect despite not having achieved much ( i do have 2 degrees). I can talk to people about things they just flat out dont understand or even think about. I think of things in a completely different level from other people. But im not confident about my appearance at all. I dont think im good in relationships. I know i have a lot of weaknesses i have no athletic capability at all. So i avoid them things and stick with what i am good with being my brain.

My previous relationship i ended up being very distant and when i realised this i became the complete opposite in an attempt to not lose her. Is this normal behaviour of a narcissist?

I am very nervous about intimacy and i try to avoid it. I did like giving but didnt like receiving. I wouldnt have thought this would be normal for a narcissist right?

This is the one that might really mean im not. Im concerned that if i am i will never have long term relationship. I am concerned that i will be stuck and never be able to change and that all the advice about narcissim says that people should not assossiate with them. So if i have it then the logical thing for me to do for the good of other people is to never form any relationship with anyone. I definitely do want to have a relationship with someone but i definitely dont want to go through any kind of hurt due to narcissism.

I am really hoping im just a somewhat emotionless arrogant prick who is too logical for his own good but can at least change for his own sake. There are however a lot of parallels that i have not mentioned that sugest that i could well be one i am just hoping the above examples are things that a narcissist would never do.
mehconcerned
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: what now?

Postby Sarahlea » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:35 pm

You should have a professional diagnosis. There is the narcissist spectrum and then there's NPD. You sound most likely on the former, but only a professional can tell you for sure.
Sarahlea
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:55 am

Postby mehconcerned » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:25 pm

ah that spectrum thing explains a lot. I prob have narcissistic traits (maybe even a lot). So really i am probably just an asshole and need to stop being one so much. Because i recognise these things and would like to change them (even tho i might not be able to since im stubourn) then its prob not the full blown disorder.
Would that sound accurate? I take it people with the disorder wouldnt care about changing and not think theres anything really wrong with how they behave even if they know other people think its wrong?
mehconcerned
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Sigurd » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:38 pm

mehconcerned wrote:So recently i was messing about doing personality tests and it said i was a narcissist.

I stopped reading there and decided to have a drink.
Sigurd
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby mehconcerned » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Sigurd wrote:
mehconcerned wrote:So recently i was messing about doing personality tests and it said i was a narcissist.

I stopped reading there and decided to have a drink.

i didnt say i believed them i did them for amusement and it perked my interest into what it was claiming i was. It was the further reading and finding common ground that got me concerned. If you had read the very next line you would realise this. You would know this if instead of assuming you know what i was going to say instead you read on to the very next line where i pointed this out.
mehconcerned
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Sigurd » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:53 pm

I don't care.
Sigurd
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sarahlea » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:11 pm

welcome to narky snarky world. :D
Sarahlea
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sigurd » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:14 pm

At least I was brutally honest, so the world doesn't look as obscure.
Sigurd
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sarahlea » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:00 pm

Sigurd wrote:At least I was brutally honest, so the world doesn't look as obscure.
On an unrelated note, where did you hide Sfinkska's body? It's awfully quiet around here. :)
Sarahlea
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sigurd » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:06 pm

I didn't even meet my Paul, hence I didn't get to axe him up. I did nothing. Nothing.
Sigurd
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum