Our partner

The narcissist wolf vs the sociopath wolf

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: narcbolan, masquerade, Esquire

The narcissist wolf vs the sociopath wolf

Postby Sigurd » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:43 pm

An interesting read and way of llustrating the differences between a narcissist and a sociopath. Thoughts?

Narcissist wolf says to everyone:
"I'm a sheep, I'm a sheep, I'm in the sheep club. The sheep are the best. Those wolves are terrible. You have to be a special sheep to be in the high-wool club like me. If you don't believe I'm a sheep then you are calling me a liar. I was only eating meat because my boss made me do it. I was howling at the moon because you made me angry. I have always been a sheep. You are paranoid, I don't have canine teeth. You are imagining it. I'm a sheep. I won best sheep of the year award. We have to be on the look out for SueTarget. She's a wolf in sheeps' clothing. I am the one that did all the work. SueTarget messed it all up. SueTargets's fur looks fake. I'm the biggest sheep so I should be the boss. I have every right to punish SueTarget and eat her. It will be good for her, and teach her a lesson. I'm not doing it for me, I'm doing it for the team. I have to be the enforcer here and eat bad sheeps to help keep society clean. I used to be a vegetarian but because all these lazy sheep won't do anything, I am forced into keeping order and forced into being the bad guy and have to do all the eating of sheep."

Sociopath wolf says:
"Become the sheep. Believe you are the sheep. Keep the wolf hidden. Don't act like a narcissist and don't try to "talk your way". Become the sheep. Do sheep things. Behave like sheep. No one will see the wolf. Baa baa baa. Eat grass for a while. Give up meat for a while. Tell the sheep things that will make them feel good about themselves. Gain their trust. Be humble. Make them the center of attention. Get them to lower their defenses. Tell them you lost your teeth in a car accident and your parents could only afford wolf-teeth replacements. Keep past a secret so they don't research. Let them do all the talking. Then when the time is right, devour! It is worth the sacrifice and the wait. Then on a polygraph when they ask if I am a sheep, I will have all the sheep memories because I became a sheep. I have memories of eating grass and living like a sheep. I'm telling the truth."
Sigurd
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:30 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: The narcissist wolf vs the sociopath wolf

Postby khemix » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:06 am

Hahaha, very clever. I think the portrayal is VERY accurate. I would expect there to be less guilt though, particularly for the sociopath. The sociopath would think everyone wants to be the wolf at heart. Or that everyone is a wolf, they have just been herded as sheep.
"I love you because I need you" NOT "I need you because I love you."
khemix
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby javert » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:18 am

These examples seem to suggest that one of the differences between narcissists and sociopaths is extroversion vs. introversion. From what I've read, statistically, both narcissists and sociopaths are more likely to be extroverted. My gut feeling is that Sociopath Wolf reads more like the Hollywood Villain Wolf.
javert
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby katana » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:21 am

what the ###$ is a hollywood villain wolf.

you can take a metaphor and try to use it to explain something.

Or you can take a metaphor and start analysing it as if it were the thing its self...

bingo, sensationalism and food for the ego.
katana
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby javert » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:31 am

katana wrote:what the ###$ is a hollywood villain wolf.

You know the way that villains, particularly serial killers, are depicted in movies and novels? It's a stereotype that doesn't really exist in the real world, or if it does, it represents extremely few people.

Sociopath Wolf's dialogue is very introverted. Yet if this wolf is so introverted, why would it be so preoccupied with the sheep and gaining their trust? It doesn't make much sense to me.
javert
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby khemix » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:36 am

javert wrote:
katana wrote:what the ###$ is a hollywood villain wolf.

You know the way that villains, particularly serial killers, are depicted in movies and novels? It's a stereotype that doesn't really exist in the real world, or if it does, it represents extremely few people.

Sociopath Wolf's dialogue is very introverted. Yet if this wolf is so introverted, why would it be so preoccupied with the sheep and gaining their trust? It doesn't make much sense to me.

I don't see it as being introverted at all. I see it as being calculated. We're inside both of their minds.
khemix
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby javert » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:51 am

khemix wrote:I see it as being calculated.

= Hollywood villain.

khemix wrote:We're inside both of their minds.

Sure, but there is a very different focus between the two. I think the difference is best described as extroversion vs. introversion, rather than narcissism vs. sociopathy.
javert
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby khemix » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:31 am

javert wrote:= Hollywood villain.

So what? That is how sociopaths are.
khemix
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby katana » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:35 am

javert wrote:You know the way that villains, particularly serial killers, are depicted in movies and novels? It's a stereotype that doesn't really exist in the real world, or if it does, it represents extremely few people.

I think the reason it represents extremely few people is because those people tend to be extremely calculating and careful, pre-plan things and follow through. The serial killer described isn't exactly a sociopath in the clinical sense because their ability to plan and follow through doesn't fit the profile too well, though their behaviour certainly sounds dangerous and antisocial.

It reminds me of something stated about the character Hannibal Lecter - it was stated his PCL-r score would be too low to be diagnosed with psychopathy. I think in reality there are a lot of variations, and a lot of PDs can drive people to extremes.

Introverted people are aware of the existence of others and not necessarily completely unfocussed on others. Its about how people process the world, not whether they are so schizoid they're completely uninterested in others.

The first description does sound very extroverted. The difference between the 2 "wolves" would be the extroverted sociopathic wolf is doing what he or she is doing deliberately, and is becoming the sheep just in a more extroverted way. The narcissist wolf really believes he or she is the best sheep.

the difference is in the method of manipulation. The second "wolf" has to have another method or plan unrelated to social control. The first may also have a plan like that, but would use social control as a backup or as bait to draw people in, unlike the second who would need to rely on them being right as they are and have a limited amount of control.

The description is very black and white, most sociopaths trying to influence or control others would probably use a cross between the first and the second. Most narcissists would engage in the first with no objective other than adulation. Most people who would score very high on a PCL-r would probably fail to successfully pull off either for any long term gain.
katana
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby javert » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:41 am

khemix wrote:So what? That is how sociopaths are.

:lol: I don't think so.

I think this is the point where I say we'll have to agree to disagree. But I'd encourage people to consider what the Sociopath Wolf's motivations are and whether they are consistent with its thoughts. We understand the Narcissist Wolf is extroverted and focussed on the sheep because it is dependent upon them for its ego or narcissistic supply. Introversion is "the state of or tendency toward being wholly or predominantly concerned with and interested in one's own mental life". Sociopath Wolf is very involved in its own internal thoughts. Why would someone with such an introverted focus also be so focussed on the sheep? :?
javert
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post