Our partner

WHY DOES NO ONE GET IT?! >.<

Munchausen Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Terry E.

WHY DOES NO ONE GET IT?! >.<

Postby Nutcase » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:08 am

why does no one get that Munchausen's IS NOT A CHOICE!

We dont sit and think "i know, lets make something up. That'll be a good way to spend a Sunday."

i hate it so so much.

My Mum's a mental health nurse and even she hates me for it, and she's confirmed that pretty much all health officials hate Munchausen's patients.

ARRRGGGGG >.<

Thats for listening,
Moose xxx
"Dying is an art, like everything else, I do it exceptionally well" ~ Sylvia Plath
Nutcase
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Chucky » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:00 am

As with many things, people that don't understand you will only serve to annoy you. You have a home-from-home here though. We may not completely understand Munchausen's Syndrome (I don't particularly) but we do understand that the mind is a complex thing that isn't easily defined!
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Nutcase » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:54 am

thanks =)
means a lot that you even replied, let alone said something useful!

Moose xxx
"Dying is an art, like everything else, I do it exceptionally well" ~ Sylvia Plath
Nutcase
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby bereft » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:25 am

I agree with Chucky.

But I can also understand why health professionals become frustrated with Munchausen's. Medical people are always looking to help an illness through diagnosis and treatment. If they are trying to remedy something that doesn't exist, it is exasperating to them when they figure out that what they are trying to fix isn't a physical disorder and nothing they can even assess with all their scientific "tools."

Yes, they should be more compassionate. But mental disorders are so much harder to "fix." There isn't a innoculation, surgical procedure, or lab test that can be used to find and treat the problem. It takes time and effort both from the patient and the mental health professional to treat the condition. Some professionals enjoy the "challenge" of finding and helping the person with mental disorders. Others prefer less complex conditions that have a definitive protocol of treatment.

Best,

N.
Things Fall Apart
bereft
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 pm

Postby kellycoyote » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:19 am

Moose...

You seem incredibly self aware of your illness, the people I know with Munch are not and create much havoc. You should commend yourself, you will be able to gain better mental health!

I go through similar frustrations with my Bipolar II Disorder. Uncaring, annoyed health professionals that think they know more about my illness than me, but they don't. They don't even really listen. Maybe they are curt and condescending because they don't want to solve it, or maybe because it bruises their egos or sense of control that they cannot solve it like a math problem. But some healthcare providers, almost always psychiatric, are a lot more respectful and kind. Sorry about your mom, though.

My mother is a pain in the arse too, I just tell myself that she grew up in a time when the mentally ill were sequestered away, shocked into organic brain disorder and were the stars of horror movies. Psychiatry is coming out of the dark ages, and hopefully, we will no longer be veiwed as people incapable of reason, logic, self-study and even veiwed as folks who can live normal lives, if they just took the time to find out what kind of "insulin" we needed to correct our imbalance...what a concept!

I too am studying to become a psych nurse but to be an advocate and not another oppressor! All because of the incredible compassion and understanding I have gained about just how much pain the mentally ill are in from what we have to go through!

One question, if you don't mind....If you feel syptoms, then aren't you experiencing hypochondria, an anxiety disorder, as oppossed to an attention seeking disorder like Munch, to gain the status of a patient for attention?

For example, one lady I know, may actually have a tummy ache, but then tells everyone she surely ahe has internal bleeding (not that she's afraid she might, but that she actually does), including her kids, all her family, and goes to the hospital with it, to find that nothing is wrong, again.

But, it's always stuff like this at the same time...when someone else is getting attention or she did something bad and is trying to make up for it with sympathy, versus someone who is obsessed with the [b]fea[/b]r that they are sick, versus hooked on the need for attention. So, what creates the distinction for you...do you feel the fear of illness itself, or the impetus to exaggerrate it for attention. Just to be clear, no judgement here, i'm just super curious for my own training.

thanks, and I hope you find wellness,

Kelly
kellycoyote
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

Postby Oblomov » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:44 pm

Sorry for digging this up, but I'm also curious. I thought people with Munchausen syndrome were aware that the symptoms they were having weren't real.

I vaguely remember I once "feigned" having night blindness, but didn't quite realize it myself. I wasn't worried about being night blind, but for some reason I needed some excuse when I fell in the dark (not because I was ashamed, but rather to gain attraction). The more I began to doubt that I was actually nyctalopic, the more I pretended I was lest they'd find out. It was a bit like mythomania - I actually believed my own lies.

That was years ago, though, when I was 13.
Oblomov
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Re: WHY DOES NO ONE GET IT?! >.<

Postby MyOwnPseudonym » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:19 pm

I understand it is NOT a choice, yet I do also understand when you are aware of things you can try control and change your behaviours. I am coming from a dif angle. I am a victim of MBPS so i find it hard to believe that you can NOT control harming your children. and i have learnt in my own mental illness, that I have to understand my behaviours, become aware of them, and then work on changing them. So yeah, i agree it is not a choice to have the illness, but how much you let it control you, well I think that is up to you.
MyOwnPseudonym
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:40 am

Postby AnnaX » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:14 pm

*Edited
AnnaX
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

Postby Chucky » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:06 pm

That is true, Anna, but something like this can 'migrate' (or develop) to something that the person cannot control anymore, like an addiction. When it reaches that point, they may very well be no longer feigning illness just for attention, and are instead doing it because they don't know how to get out of the 'addiction' of feigning illness.

This thread began in 2007 though, and I imagine that the person who started it no longer checks back.

Kevin
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Shattered_Crystals » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:03 pm

I don't hate people just for having that disorder.
Shattered_Crystals
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Munchausen Syndrome Forum