Our partner

MBP?

Munchausen by Proxy message board, open discussion, and online support group.

MBP?

Postby under ice » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:34 pm

I'm aware that MBP means that a caregiver claims that the person in their care is ill. This isn't completely about a caregiver but nonetheless a family member and I didn't know where else to post it.

In short, when I was younger a family member claimed I was anorectic and convinced one of my friends and my father, with whom I had almost no contact at the time, to believe this story. Finally my mother told them to stop the nonsense, which they did after a few months. The whole incident got swept under the carpet, but I felt like they had tried to hurt me.

Years later the same family member convinced another relative that her husband who had in a short time developed many mysterious health problems was either faking or suffering from a psychological disorder that made him imagine all the symptoms. They pressured him to check himself in to a mental hospital, but he was sent home quickly with no diagnosis. A little later he got diagnosed with a physical illness, which eventually caused his death.

A few years have passed and the same person tells me that their teenage kid has depression and they are trying to get him on medication for it. I'm not sure if it's possible that a doctor misdiagnoses a young person because of what a parent says, but it looks like a pattern to me.
Dalloway wrote:I really do not try to sell cuddle cafes.
under ice
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:26 am
Blog: View Blog (7)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: MBP?

Postby under ice » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:35 am

I forgot to mention that I've heard this person call other people as mentally unstable, depressed, narcissistic and borderline behind their back. I used to think that those are merely imaginative insults but maybe they were meant seriously.
under ice
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Terry E. » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:12 pm

When you come across someone who casually throws out the narcissistic line, and mental illness claim for others, it can be a red flag on them,

I do not think she is MBP, but she has problems though and I would suggest she seeks to direct attention to herself through creating something when it is not there, (your anorexia) or dismissing something real (her husband) when too much attention was being paid to him.

An attention seeker, and destabiliser, does not sound nice, but not the classic MBP

glad you bounced out of it okay, and this chance meeting has made you more aware of the world, that you live in. You will probably be much more aware of life now as you move forward.

all the best take care
Terry E.
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:26 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby under ice » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:58 pm

Thank you!

This was the first time I came to think of those two incidents together. I was so used to this person's constant monkey business when those things happened that I just wanted to move on and pay no further attention. When they told about their kid's depression I started to worry a bit.
under ice
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Munchausen by Proxy