Our partner

Talking to Yourself and Creating Alternate Realities

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: Otter

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Talking to Yourself and Creating Alternate Realities

Postby bramble26 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:03 pm

I've catagorized myself into an antisocial group. I'm alone a lot. I often talk to myself and create alternate realities inside my head, and sort of act them out. I have conversations out loud to people I have desires to associate with, and everything goes MY WAY. I've done this for a long time, probably since high school. If I'm driving around I'm talking to myself. If I'm at home alone I'm talking to myself.

I put music on and pretend I'm playing a show and everyone I've ever known or would like to know is in the audience. In my head I wrote those songs and I OWN them. It's a huge confidence booster and I feel great afterwards. If I'm actually around people I'm withdrawn and don't like to attract attention to myself. I can only come out of my shell when alone, for fear of rejection.

I'm wondering if anyone else does this and how common/normal it is. I've heard of people talking to themselves, just not getting so INTO it. I think I'm trying to compensate for lack of social interaction, and sometimes I think I'm just crazy.
God forbid anyone ever catch me... :shock:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Maladaptive Daydreamer
(Major)AvPD with Social Phobia
bramble26
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Talking to Yourself and Creating Alternate Realities

Postby thebetterhalf » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:15 pm

I tend to talk to myself on a daily basis. Sometime i talk outloud but mostly , its in my head. It never shuts off. I dont mind if people hear or not. Its not something i try to do , its something i cant get away from. I wonder if so called normal people constantly talk to themsleves all the time also. I have my days of thinking that what it would be like to be different, but here just figments of my imagination. I have to keep comeing back to this realtiy. I just wish i could shut me up for on hour. So its normal for me to talk to myself, but it does grow old and frustrating at times. Its a real burden when people talk to me and i have to hear them and me a the same time. I tend to misunderstand people when talking to me. to many voices at once.
Caution, dyslexic writer ahead.
Spell check please
thebetterhalf
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby bramble26 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:21 pm

the other me wrote:I tend to talk to myself on a daily basis. Sometime i talk outloud but mostly , its in my head. It never shuts off. I dont mind if people hear or not. Its not something i try to do , its something i cant get away from. I wonder if so called normal people constantly talk to themsleves all the time also. I have my days of thinking that what it would be like to be different, but here just figments of my imagination. I have to keep comeing back to this realtiy. I just wish i could shut me up for on hour. So its normal for me to talk to myself, but it does grow old and frustrating at times. Its a real burden when people talk to me and i have to hear them and me a the same time. I tend to misunderstand people when talking to me. to many voices at once.

I'm curious to know what you talk about. I only do so when I'm alone, and can shut it off more quickly.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Maladaptive Daydreamer
bramble26
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby katana » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:18 pm

I used to do some of that when alone too. A lot of it was not wanting to face reality, and needing to escape from it. Partly as a result of some things about reality, but underneath that was also the desire to just switch off and withdraw - just not ready to be part of the world yet.

I dont know how helpful this is, except that to make sense of it, you have to process the feelings you have on the inside, and maybe some of that is what your mind is trying to do, but also trying to protect you from those feelings, so the talking to yourself etc could be almost like a way to escape having to process those things too.

I needed to get through a lot of inner pain to stop doing that much, and still some to go to feel ok/comfortable with just living my life, but some of that is riding off other issues too.
katana
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby bramble26 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:53 pm

I think you're right. I think we're processing our thoughts out loud. Sometimes I also think the fantasy aspect of the surreal is me trying to escape from the dull reality. I'm quite a hoot when I'm alone. :roll:
Maladaptive Daydreamer
bramble26
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby thebetterhalf » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:42 am

Thats a good question. What do i talk about .
When you are talking to yourself, does the voice in your mind match your speaking voice? Mines is differnet and its like im someone trying to keep control of my outerself. I know im constantly processing information. It doesnt stop unless im sleeping.
Spell check please
thebetterhalf
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby bramble26 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:50 am

the other me wrote:Thats a good question. What do i talk about .
When you are talking to yourself, does the voice in your mind match your speaking voice? Mines is differnet and its like im someone trying to keep control of my outerself. I know im constantly processing information. It doesnt stop unless im sleeping.

Oh yeah I'm not talking to myself inside my head I'm actually speaking out loud. :shock: I am talking to people who I want to accept me in real life, but in real life we aren't friends. Mostly I just act out scenarios like I'm in another place with a perfect life perfect house and perfect friends and I am a desired person. Other times I'll rant and rave out loud. For the most part I just feel like I vent out to the air whatever is in my head at that time. Jeeze. Seems crazy just typing about it.
Maladaptive Daydreamer
bramble26
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby thebetterhalf » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:12 am

I think we all have scenerios about being perfect and livng in a perfect world. We just do it more because our world doesnt match what normal peoples world is like.
When im talking out loud its usually when i working on something. People at work just kinda look at me strange some times or they tell me not to start answering myself. I jokingly tell them i do answer myself and that sometimes i get the right answer. In my head im not joking.
Does you voice i your head sound like your verbal voice?
Spell check please
thebetterhalf
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby bramble26 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:16 am

the other me wrote:Does you voice i your head sound like your verbal voice?

Yeah, it does. What does yours sound like? I'm very paranoid of what others think of me so I don't really talk out loud like that in front of anyone. I can't be jokey about it like you. It's not in my disposition..
Maladaptive Daydreamer
bramble26
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby thebetterhalf » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:37 am

My inside voice is quiet, subdued, monotone. Its different than my verbal voice. My wife even said when she talks to herself, she hers her own voice in her head. I guess the inner me is different than the outside me. I always felt like i was looking thru the eyes of a different person.
Spell check please
thebetterhalf
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views