Our partner

motherhood dream

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: Tyler77

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

motherhood dream

Postby shotgun pulse » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:49 am

I had a very vivid dream last night where I had a son. He was born and I held him and felt the most overwhelming sense of love. Then as the dream went on it was like "oh cool I can still live my life as normal" but then it seemed like I was neglectful and felt bad- realizing I have a responsibility, worrying if I'm still attractive, stuff like that. There was also a picture of my old childhood home, mom, brother, an old pet and a current pet.
I have very mixed feelings about motherhood, anyone have any insights?
shotgun pulse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:55 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: motherhood dream

Postby jilkens » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:19 am

I had those type of dreams even before having my child. They always elicited some very strong emotional responses upon wakening. Most people I've talked to have similar dreams. I think it's a pretty normal one to have, especially for a woman.

Dreams are personal. By that I mean that the meaning can be different for each person. What is your gut telling you about it? Did having a baby, or thinking about it cross your mind lately?

Motherhood is a very mixed bag. We're biologically driven to it, yet are ashamed to admit there is some resentment toward the child for all the changes that happen as a result. If not resentment, then sorrow for losing some things that were once cherished. It's a transformation, one that is learned from. Full of bumps and errors along the way, but it's a very steep learning curve.

Maybe the baby in your dream is meant to represent a sacrifice or change in your life.
Blame it on me, but know that I won't regret one iota.
jilkens
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Aaron John » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:36 am

Motherhood is the essence of life on this earth. The most wonderful thing ever a being could be blessed on this earth- give birth to life. Have no clue about that kind of dreams but motherhood must be a prestigious feeling for sure.
Aaron John
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:55 am

Postby Fie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:27 am

Ever since I was young I would have horrible dreams of having a baby and then forgetting about it and neglecting it, and it would be lost somehow. I took it as a sign that I should never have children (I did eventually change my mind, but not until my 30's :D). But honestly, the dream had nothing to do with babies - it was about my own view of myself and fear of failure and responsibility. It is not at all unusual for me to forget to take care of responsibilities and to let people down, and this fact causes me a lot of anxiety. When I was growing up, forgetting to do a chore, for example, was called "laziness" and "lying". So...voila. As Ladyswan said, dream symbols are really different for everyone.
Fie
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby shotgun pulse » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:25 am

haha now it's called a "disorder" if you don't do your chores. :D Did you end up having kids?
shotgun pulse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post