Our partner

Has anyone else taken the MMPI-2?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderators: masquerade, Otter, sabrdawg

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Has anyone else taken the MMPI-2?

Postby Hucal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:23 am

I took it online at http://www.mindfithypnosis.com/articles ... test.shtml

For those that don't know, it's a 567 true-or-false questionnaire used to determine the mental health of the person taking it. I'm assuming this online one is the real thing; after all, it is 567 questions long as the real one is supposed to be.

After finishing, the website spits out a bunch of graphs and lists. I've been working on learning how to read my results... all the websites make it seem like only professional psychologists have the skills to understand, but I doubt that it's that complicated.

Does anyone else have experience with the MMPI-2? Were your results examined by a professional, and did you get to see your results? Do you think it's possible for the average Joe to determine what his scores mean?
22 year old male
Dx: Bipolar NOS
Hucal
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Has anyone else taken the MMPI-2?

Postby maddogmaddy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:17 pm

I took it out of curiosity....I was only able to interpret some of the results given - and none of the charts, lol. I'm tempted to print it off and take to my therapist to get her take on it. It interests me.
Dx: Schizoaffective - Bipolar Type, Rapid Cycling
Fiance
Mother of three
Electrical Maintenance Student
Homemaker

Country music singin, cowboy boot wearin red-headed midwestern sweetheart <3
maddogmaddy
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Hucal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:10 pm

Yeah haha, I am still pretty tempted to print it out and take it to my psychiatrist. The way I understand it is that you look at your T-score, and the average person scores a 50 on it. Every 10 points is a standard deviation above or below the average. I read that above 65 is considered high and below 35 is considered low.

So for example, a person with an 85 on social alienation is 3.5 standard deviations above the average and quite high, meaning they like to withdraw from society and are probably more introverted. On the other end of the spectrum, if someone had a 30 on social alienation, they are 2 standard deviations below the average and considered low, meaning they are most likely pretty outgoing.

I scored pretty bad on the F (detecting deviant ways of answering test questions) and the Fb (answered deviantly on questions in the 2nd half of the test that less than 10% of the people answered in the deviant direction), with an 84 and a 102, respectively.

According to some sites, this means I was either answering randomly and not paying attention (when I certainly was paying attention and taking a good amount of time on the questions), faking being bad, or I have serious psychopathology issues. Oh boy.

I can't really figure out if I am subconsciously making my results worse, because I'm certainly trying to answer to the best of my ability and give honest results.
22 year old male
Hucal
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Al3la » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:47 pm

I took this today after finding a link elsewhere on the site, and had the same problems with F and Fb (F=103 and Fb=112) but got 50 or less on the other validity scales. It's a little disappointing considering how long it is and having tried to answer as honestly as possible, but maybe it's just me. :lol:

Link to the other thread with

http://www.psychforums.com/antisocial-personality/topic60278.html

See page 8 for another link with info on interpretation.
Al3la
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:40 am

Postby Hucal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:09 pm

Ah, thank you! I was sure I wasn't the first person on this site to ask about the MMPI-2, I just wasn't sure where to look :oops: I don't know of a thread search option on here.

Haven't read your link yet, but I've also heard high F or Fb scores can be negated by having a low K score or something, because the K score is the defensiveness scale, and if you are low on it, it means that you're being frank and straightforward, whereas a higher score means denial.

Thanks again for the link, I'm going to check it out now.
22 year old male
Hucal
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby screwed-up » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:30 pm

Hey, im new here,,, only became a member because i saw a blog about this MMPI-2. let me tell you,,,, i took it a couple weeks ago,,, got results only told me that i was faking the test,,, im so messed up about this,,, craziest thing i ever came across,,, i know for a fact i read the questions and answered them to the way it best described me,,, and all it told me was,,in my interpetion of it was,, this is really a lie detector test,,, but its a false one,,, i would never recommmend anybody taking this test,, the person who gave me the test never even told me what the results could be,, or if i didnt understand a question to no answer it,,, and discuss it with him later,,, very screwed up,,,, im trying to get to the bottom of this, because its taken over my life,,, i dont want my character blackened by this,,, the part where they check if your lying,,, should be left out completely and if they want to knw that,, just give me a lie detector test,,, i really want to fight this,,, and find a way to make them take this part out of the test,,,, anybody have a comment//?
screwed-up
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:40 pm

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post