Our partner

Being Too Literal

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: Otter

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Re: Being Too Literal

Postby AnxxietyAttacks » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:22 pm

Yea, I think by now why you might think that. Although it doesn't run in my family on both sides for a few generations down. Anytime before that, I dont know of, but largely not im sure. I did read up a bit on the syndrome, too, though, and nothing else matches up besides some saying that this trait does. My interests are extremely broad. I have a strong interest in every aspect of art for example, from painting to filmmaking to music. Same goes for subjects like history, politics, and most other largely non-math related subjects because I dont find math interesting in the least. Those were examples.

My social problems stem from some bullying in when I was teenager. I'm extremely socially anxious and only more so when I keep away from people. It lessens when I am around people but only to where I can say a sentence or two to keep from looking fearful. I've chosen to stay physically away from people because because I am self-proclaimed misanthropist. I don't mind my social anxiety growing because my hate overrides my wanting to be around people. Surprisingly not anymore because of how I was treated but how I see society interact.

Thats why i had guessed maybe I cant understand people, but I felt as if it wasn't totally that. With all the advice I think it probably is. My lack of wanting to be in the popularity suite of life affects my understanding of some things.

I wasn't always like this. I think the answer is my reclusiveness has made me into this.

Thanks though for that
And we don't know
Just where our bones will rest
To dust I guess
AnxxietyAttacks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:11 pm
Blog: View Blog (13)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Being Too Literal

Postby stampyny » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:13 pm

People who are too literal are demonstrating their low self esteem.

For example, if someone says "You are ugly" and you take it too literally, you will be hurt by what they said. You will take it personally and end up retaliating in some way.

Someone with high self esteem have several options. They could:

1) Humor by responding with "You are absolutely right! I was dropped when I was a baby and I've had to deal with it ever since."
2) Expressing disagreement by responding with "Wow! That sounds mean John. What did you mean when you said that?"

These options come from people with the point of view that we are all human and from time to time we can stick our foot in our mouth, be angry or hurt and act out, or any number of things. When you have the appropriate perspective when interacting with people you get to respond in a way that builds better relationships with people.
stampyny
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:11 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum