Our partner

more like a child than an adult

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderators: masquerade, Otter, sabrdawg

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

more like a child than an adult

Postby danscott7 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:00 pm

Perhaps it was my harsh childhood: I detached myself mentally from my surroundings at an early age, and never quite got over it. Perhaps it was my learning diability, it does cause one to live in their own little world, no matter how old they get.
All I know is that when I was growing up, there were several instances of my not acting my age.
I at 13 was playing with some toys in a friends garage, and she noted that her 10 year old brother didn't even play with those toys anymore.
I at 13 or 14 hung around with 9 year olds. Someone made the comment that was odd and why didn't I hang out with people my own age.
At 18 I was stressing over my looks, and felt I was ugly, and my mother noted I should have been going through that stage years ago.
I can name many more examples, yet, even as an adult, I have acted childishly at times. I suppose we all do, but I mean things like splashing around in puddles and breaking out of a line to try and find a shortcut, being gleeful about it, instead of staying in line like the "adult" thing to do.
Or at work when I should be working instead goofing off, and finding myself interested in children's toys in a classroom, instead of more adult type diversions.
I also do not own a car or drive, but ride a bike. I know many adults do, but I do not do it for economy, but instead as the very idea of owning and operating a car frightens me.
I was wondering if anyone else has things like this they can relate, and what they do about the scorn they encounter.
danscott7
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:56 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: more like a child than an adult

Postby debra » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:37 pm

i relate to your story. When i was growing up, i also sparated my mind from my body and remained in great control of my mind. What I didn't know untill I started therapy in my 20's is that I never grew up emotionally. I don't know if it is exactly the same, but talking through the trauma helped me grow up inside. I became interested in different things and emotionally became a little more stable and older. Hope this helps. Deb
debra
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:56 pm
Blog: View Blog (23)

Postby kouda » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:53 am

I can be a bit silly at times, even diwn right imature but for the most part I am very adult like. Perhaps your just a bit more silly tthe everyone elsr :)
Dyslexic Pedophile
kouda
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:56 pm

Postby EarlGreyDregs » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:32 pm

I can relate as well. I often act like a child. Still playing dress-up even thought I'm 20 years old.

I say it's because I was sexually abused as a child & so I felt I had to mature to deal with it. When I was supposed to be free & trouble-less, I was too serious. Now, I feel safer yet my mind never truly "grew up". So, my mind is very immature. It's hard to deal with. Being so different from other people my age group.
EarlGreyDregs
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby mylexicon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:27 pm

I've been told for YEARS how "mature" I am, and how I seem "so adult". I was never actually a child, because I was desperate to prove that I was "mature" and "intelligent" to adults (because peers bullied me badly).

Now I'm in a more secure social environment, I'm regressing. Being told I'm infantile, immature and childish, have become a different child, am reclaiming a childhood I lost for so long. So I wouldn't worry. Allow yourself to be a child - life is too short.
mylexicon
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby Platypus » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:09 am

I always felt like a bit of a mix between old and young. I prefer the company of people older and younger than me rather than my peers. Sometimes I think I'm too serious and uptight like the stereotypical old grump, but then I still find toilet humour funny. :lol: Oh and I like to run through puddles and long grass too!

Whilst people may treat you with scorn now, maybe they will be envious when you are older Dan? I love seeing older people who still know how to nurture their inner child.
No diagnosis, lots of opinions, and a bunch of issues that I haven't quite figured out.
Platypus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:56 am

Postby sabrdawg » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:53 pm

I was born young for my age. So I guess you could say I was born acting somewhere in the negative digits! XD Ok, corny joke for the day out of my system.... :) Yeah, even when I was little I wasn't into things other kids my age were into, and I always seemed emotionally and mentally younger. Toys at 13? No big....I'm 28 and am still an avid collector! I live for video games, acting silly, and just trying to enjoy each day. I bet no one can top this one....I even went trick-or-treating this past Halloween! :D I still have yet to experience what this "being grown" stuff is all about, and I plan to keep it that way :) Sure, I'm responsible when I have to be, I have a full-time job, I *attempt to* manage my money although without difficulty.....as far as I feel though, I've always felt like a kid. I always joke that I want to be the world's first child centenarian...my goal in life is to make it to 100 yet still feel 16 XD I give utmost kudos to anyone that knows how to appreciate their youth. There are far too many kids trying to be old before their time, rushing into marriage and having kids, etc. I have to laugh when kids my age post things on Facebook like, "I get my new washer and dryer today! So excited!" HUHH? Until a washer and dryer can operate video games, I'm not seeing what the excitement is all about :P
Normal is overrated :D
sabrdawg
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:56 pm

Postby Divinorum » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:54 am

sabrdawg wrote:"I get my new washer and dryer today! So excited!" HUHH? Until a washer and dryer can operate video games, I'm not seeing what the excitement is all about :P

Oho man, me too. It's the most depressing thing in the world to hear someone say they have a good job on the criteria of an hour lunch break and a professional corporate environment. :? The further I go into the adult world, the more boring and pointless and oppressive it seems.

Unlike others in this thread though, when I was a kid, there were times when I wanted nothing more than to be grown up already and no longer associated with all these squealing morons called 'children'. It's weird. But maybe I just don't like this world, full stop.

I've heard others recommend ageplay for this sort of thing, but it tends to be overly sexual... but some kind of inner kid therapy, to get in touch with your younger side and those wants, I certainly recommend that.
Forgive yourself, love yourself, and love life. The rest will flow.
Divinorum
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:56 am

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post