Our partner

Assisted Living places for those with Mental Health Issues?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderators: masquerade, Otter, sabrdawg

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Assisted Living places for those with Mental Health Issues?

Postby Caregiver » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:38 am

Does anyone know of places where those with psych. issues can get assisted living? I'm in California but would appreciate information on any of them anywhere so I'll get an idea of what's available. Most of the places I've seen are for people that have elderly physical issues and dementia. I'm looking for something that can assist a person who is in their 50's and is very independent but needs help with cleaning, socializing, etc. I've only come across one such place by looking online and it was in Florida. Thanks for your time.
Caregiver
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:14 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Assisted Living places for those with Mental Health Issues?

Postby Chucky » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Hi,

I imagine that your state's departmnt of health website will have some information about this; but you could also send them an email about it. You could also try to phone yuor local doctor, and these people usually have built up a lot of connections in their training and careers (i.e. they'll be friends with people who have branched into different areas of health).

kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:14 pm

Postby Philo » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:11 pm

If this person sees a psychiatrist, it'll be easy to talk to him/her about a social worker that can suggest living places. Psychs often work in pairs with social workers or in threes with an occupational therapist in hospitals or out-patient clinics.
Philo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Caregiver » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Thanks for the replies. Have not been able to find any resources though through the recommended ideas.

Most assisted-living places are, of course, for elderly people or those in-transition after an illness. He would not fit in to that model. But, I'm surprised there are not such places for younger people who clearly can't cope with life themselves.

I'm thinking of something that is laid-out like an apartment building where each person would have their own front door going to the outside (he would insist on that) and a loose structure---he doesn't do well with anyone exerting any type of control over him. He believes he can control his life himself though it is clear to anyone around him that he can't.

He therefore needs regular supervision. Without that, he hoards and shuts himself inside until the living situation becomes unhealthy and unsafe. If such an assisted living place existed, he might start attending meals and have some, limited social life. Living the isolated way he is now can't go on too much longer and the one person who occasionally watches out for him is limited in what they can do.

He chooses not to see a mental health professional. He's not a threat to anyone or himself so its not possible to force that on him. That may change in time, but for now, he's only getting traditional medical care from an internist, etc. Some of those doctors have suggested a psychiatrist but he resists as he thinks he has no mental health issues.

Thanks for any ideas anyone might have. Maybe I'm just daydreaming about such a place being available (and affordable).
Last edited by Caregiver on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Caregiver
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Chucky » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:24 pm

Hi,

It has taken you a while to reply, but I remember your post very well. I did not expect you to return, in fact, but it's pleasing to see that you have. Who exactly did you contact to find out about places thus far?

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:

Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Caregiver » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:27 pm

Thanks for the reply Kevin. I have talked to many social workers, a few psychologists and county mental health professionals. No one has heard of such a place. The usual reply is that "family" provides care for such people and that those with lots of money can hire private mental health nurses and a bevy of assistants to help.

I'm thinking that my idea is just that---an idea ---one that may not have been put into practice. I would think there are just as many people in society who are younger and in that gray area of mental fitness as there are elderly people so I'm surprised there are not such places to assist in their living situations. I suppose the biggest obstacle is that lots of people who need such help are not asking for it (that's our situation). An elderly person who really needs assisted living often has to acquiesce due to their limited physical strength but a younger, physically fit person who needs living help due to poor mental health would just walk away if they refused help. Maybe that's why we see so many people pushing shopping carts.

I've seen some "halfway house" type places where the residents are far more desperate than this situation. Those wouldn't work at all for us. My idea, as I described in the last posting, is more what I think would work---something that allows lots of independence but has someone who watches over the residents and has the training (and patience) to deal with those who are obstinate and don't want the help. That's not the model of the typical assisted living business so probably hard to transition that model to this idea.

Maybe such places exist but no one I've talked to knows about them. Please share any thoughts anyone. Thanks very much!
Caregiver
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Chucky » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:30 pm

You're welcome, but I'm sorry that no-one has been able to help you sufficiently yet. I have one option, however, but I'm not sure if it's available to you: When I was in a psychiatric hospital many years ago, I noticed that there were many 'old' people there who seemed to be there just to be taken care of. They weren't physically inept at doing things, so it must have obviously been that they couldn't mentally take care of themselves, which is similar to your situation I guess. Have you looked intoa psychiatric hospital as an option?

In my home country, there are many 'old peoples' homes', which are places where old people go to be taken care of. I imagine that these exist in the USA too - they surely must. Have you looked through a search engine such as Google or AOL?

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:

Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby April May » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:58 am

I have been daydreaming about the same thing- I just googled "assisted living mental health" and found your post. I also know someone who would benefit from this. What state are you in? I'm in California. have you come across anything yet? Do you have any info about the place in Florida?
April May
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby gwilly » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:41 am

It's probably up to the discretion of the people running the facility. There are places for those with mental health issues but they are probably not what he is looking for... but also I have known two people who lived in 'regular' assisted living (as in the kind typically for the elderly) and they only had mental health problems, and were also young. It was the kind that had their own apartments and they pretty much do as they please, the apartments opened up into the building though, not to the outside.

Anyway... that's probably not the norm but at least it isn't unheard of.
gwilly
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:14 am

Postby JKElder22 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:00 am

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone ever found such a place you were talking about in this post. I'm looking for exactly what your describing for my father who is only 67 but has mental illness. I'm in Northern Cal and have contacted almost everyone and haven't found anything. Anything you can suggest would be helpful!

Thanks,
Jenn
JKElder22
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views