The site will undergo a maintenance process for a few minutes. Please finish your post as it will start quickly.

If you experiment issues after the maintenance, please reload the page, clear your browser cache and if needed restart your browser.

Psychforums Team.

Our partner

4 Therapists so far...Don't know if there will be a 5th

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderators: Otter, quietgirl2538

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

4 Therapists so far...Don't know if there will be a 5th

Postby MotherHorseEyes » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:44 pm

First Therapist wasn't equipped to help me. She had this face :shock: when I told her why I was seeking help and transferred me to my next therapist.
-----
The second just told me I was young and should be enjoying myself
-------
The third one was too trigger happy with the phone. She would always threaten to call to get me locked up. Not jail, I'm guessing a mental ward. She'd even use it as a way to blackmail me to tell her things I didn't want to tell her. Bitch.
I stopped going and when the discharge papers came in the mail she typed that I was happy and therapy was a success. WHAT?!
-------
The 4th was too attractive lol jk (kinda). The therapy sessions were hit and miss. I found it annoying when problems were brought up and she would say " We can go over that....next week" It was like a weekly TV series. Then when next week would come, it was like she completely forgot and the cycle would repeat.
Example:

Me: You said you'd give advice about this problem last week...

Her: Oh, I don't give advice.

WHAT!? Okay, don't give advice but you promised me that we'd continue to work on last week's issue. Why are you pretending like you didn't say that? Why does this keep happening? Just drop dead. She also would only listen to half of the things I said. If she was listening then she doesn't know that silence isn't a valid response when someone is talking to.
-----------

I feel like the weekly one hour sessions aren't for me. If I had an understanding friend I could talk to that would be better than therapy. I have one more shot left in me before I completely give up.
MotherHorseEyes
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: 4 Therapists so far...Don't know if there will be a 5th

Postby snjoy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:41 am

People become therapist just by obtaining a qualification degree. But most of them don't really feel the problem and just want to apply a solution. Just a degree does not make any one qualified to be a therapist.
snjoy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby eterea107 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:42 am

Hi,

I wish I had words of wisdom, but I don't. I've had very similar experiences as yours, except that I've had five therapists (since the late 90's).

I'm also in between therapists right now. My last therapist was not equipped to help me with my bipolar disorder. I was having to pay out of pocket, too. She was nice, but I felt like she was a supportive "cheerleader." I need more than a life coach, lol.

But, yeah...I relate. I'm on the fence as to whether I'll try therapy again.

Good luck
Love yet violence, is yet love. I love you.
eterea107
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MotherHorseEyes » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:15 am

eterea107 wrote:Hi,

I wish I had words of wisdom, but I don't. I've had very similar experiences as yours, except that I've had five therapists (since the late 90's).

I'm also in between therapists right now. My last therapist was not equipped to help me with my bipolar disorder. I was having to pay out of pocket, too. She was nice, but I felt like she was a supportive "cheerleader." I need more than a life coach, lol.

But, yeah...I relate. I'm on the fence as to whether I'll try therapy again.

Good luck

Little bits of support is enough for some people but not for me. I'm bipolar as well sometimes I think meds are the only way but after the horrible experience I had with them I'm apprehensive about taking them again. So I'm ###$.
MotherHorseEyes
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby lilyfairy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:44 am

Hi there

I understand how draining a process it is to start again with a therapist. I've also done it a few too many times (number 13 was lucky though). And questioned how some of these people are allowed to practice.

I would say ask around- I got some recommendations from a GP who I knew through my work (in an unrelated field). If you know of some other people around you going through similar, ask them who they see/have seen. I've usually gotten more recommendations from people of who not to see, but that has been helpful too.

Look at their qualifications- I've been to a few with just a counselling degree and they didn't know what to do with me- actually made things worse. I'm now seeing a clinical psychologist, who seems to have the training behind him to be able to help me. Sometimes there will be a local directory (or even a national/state register of those practicing) of therapists that you can look up that lists their areas of interest- like particular issues, disorders, age groups or situations/circumstances.

I know it is really hard to start again- I went a couple of years after the last therapist before I got game enough to try therapy out again- and swore if this didn't work that would it. I'm glad I did though- I took my time to get there, and didn't try it again until I felt I was ready, but did find the help I needed. Don't give up. There are people who can help. Hugs.
"Courage isn't having the strength to go on- it is going on when you don't have the strength." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Forum Rules
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:33 am

Postby MotherHorseEyes » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:39 pm

lilyfairy wrote:Hi there

I understand how draining a process it is to start again with a therapist. I've also done it a few too many times (number 13 was lucky though). And questioned how some of these people are allowed to practice.

I would say ask around- I got some recommendations from a GP who I knew through my work (in an unrelated field). If you know of some other people around you going through similar, ask them who they see/have seen. I've usually gotten more recommendations from people of who not to see, but that has been helpful too.

Look at their qualifications- I've been to a few with just a counselling degree and they didn't know what to do with me- actually made things worse. I'm now seeing a clinical psychologist, who seems to have the training behind him to be able to help me. Sometimes there will be a local directory (or even a national/state register of those practicing) of therapists that you can look up that lists their areas of interest- like particular issues, disorders, age groups or situations/circumstances.

I know it is really hard to start again- I went a couple of years after the last therapist before I got game enough to try therapy out again- and swore if this didn't work that would it. I'm glad I did though- I took my time to get there, and didn't try it again until I felt I was ready, but did find the help I needed. Don't give up. There are people who can help. Hugs.

13? How many different facilities is that? in the same city even?

Thanks for the cyber hug. It just reminded me how long it's been since I received a real hug...It's been so long I can't remember :(
MotherHorseEyes
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby lilyfairy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:56 pm

Sending some extra hugs your way then. :)

Within the same local area- some were school counsellors (been "in the system" for 15+ years now), some in the local mental health services- both child and adolescent and adult services and some privately. I just seemed to keep finding the wrong people.

Also, something else I found helpful after a while, was to write out my "history" on paper and take along with me, either as a prompt for me or to hand to the therapist if I felt ok with doing that- my current therapist said it was enormously helpful to have it all written out- couldn't have covered that much verbally in the first session, nor would I have remembered to tell him all of that. It got hard after a while to relive it all over and over again with each new person.
"Courage isn't having the strength to go on- it is going on when you don't have the strength." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Forum Rules
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:33 am

Postby MotherHorseEyes » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:30 pm

lilyfairy wrote:Sending some extra hugs your way then. :)

Within the same local area- some were school counsellors (been "in the system" for 15+ years now), some in the local mental health services- both child and adolescent and adult services and some privately. I just seemed to keep finding the wrong people.

Also, something else I found helpful after a while, was to write out my "history" on paper and take along with me, either as a prompt for me or to hand to the therapist if I felt ok with doing that- my current therapist said it was enormously helpful to have it all written out- couldn't have covered that much verbally in the first session, nor would I have remembered to tell him all of that. It got hard after a while to relive it all over and over again with each new person.

I don't see how you found the energy to put in so much effort in finding the right therapist but I'm glad it worked out in the end.

When any of my issues involve people I tend to give up quick because people aren't as technical as fixing a bike, or replacing a broken window. Something as small as a bad day or miscommunication can completely warp our perceptions of people. It's bizarre that people can make or break our lives but maybe that depends on how important people are to you. I hate people to death but I can't seem to kill the need for companionship and validation. learjglkejgjrgjr I dont know this topic is beyond my knowledge lol.
MotherHorseEyes
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post