Our partner

I dont tknow whats wrong with me.

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderators: Otter, quietgirl2538

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

I dont tknow whats wrong with me.

Postby randomgurl11 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:33 am

For a while now I noticed that I shy away from showers. Well I have a history of this since childhood which is odd. I still wash but just not in the shower. I know it sound really gross and I am not sure what to do. For some reason I feel dirty every time I come from a shower. I want to talk to my therapist but I'm embarrassed to mention it .
randomgurl11
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I dont tknow whats wrong with me.

Postby mariele » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi, I just wanted to encourage you to talk to your therapist. You must know already these are exactly the kind of stuff you're supposed to tell 'em. Please just do it. There is no need to feel embarassed; even if you didn't clean yourself, you shouldn't feel embarassed at least not when talking to your therapist out of all people!
But especially seeing how you DO get cleaned, why the shame? Why should you specifically use the shower, lots of people get clean in the bath or find another way.

Oh but, I'm not saying that you should continue using another way - no no, I'm just saying that shame and embarassment from these things usually stem from feeling like you OUGHT TO (well duh), so just think of it like this: I ought not to, but I want to, because it would make my life easier, and I would benefit of it.

Be brave!
In so many ways I'm somebody else
I'm trying so hard to be myself.
I just need to hear somebody say
That this will all make sense one day.
Well it's getting late, I'd better go
I made it this far.. as far as I know.
mariele
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:25 am

Postby bonnie7634 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:03 am

I agree with you @mariele. You should not feel embarrassed, specially not when talking to your therapist. Why should we feel shy to clean ourself?
bonnie7634
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:55 am

Postby psychosquirrel » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:49 pm

randomgurl11 wrote:For a while now I noticed that I shy away from showers. Well I have a history of this since childhood which is odd. I still wash but just not in the shower. I know it sound really gross and I am not sure what to do. For some reason I feel dirty every time I come from a shower. I want to talk to my therapist but I'm embarrassed to mention it .

I agree with the comment above that you should mention it to your therapist. I wonder if there is something that causes this "dirty feeling" that you are unaware of. I think it could be important to
talk about it. Might it be related to other problems you are having.

Why are you seeing a therapist,
if I may ask? (Don't respond if you do not feel comfortable to.)
psychosquirrel
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:25 am

Postby Warrior77 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:18 pm

mariele wrote:Hi, I just wanted to encourage you to talk to your therapist. You must know already these are exactly the kind of stuff you're supposed to tell 'em. Please just do it. There is no need to feel embarassed; even if you didn't clean yourself, you shouldn't feel embarassed at least not when talking to your therapist out of all people!
But especially seeing how you DO get cleaned, why the shame? Why should you specifically use the shower, lots of people get clean in the bath or find another way.

Oh but, I'm not saying that you should continue using another way - no no, I'm just saying that shame and embarassment from these things usually stem from feeling like you OUGHT TO (well duh), so just think of it like this: I ought not to, but I want to, because it would make my life easier, and I would benefit of it.

Be brave!

Exactly
Warrior77
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:25 am

Postby MarthaJ » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:23 am

randomgurl11 wrote:For a while now I noticed that I shy away from showers. Well I have a history of this since childhood which is odd. I still wash but just not in the shower. I know it sound really gross and I am not sure what to do. For some reason I feel dirty every time I come from a shower. I want to talk to my therapist but I'm embarrassed to mention it .

I agree with the other posters. Lack of personal hygiene can be a sign of depression, but it sounds like you have an issue with showers, not hygiene. Do you dislike rain? Or water in general? Do you dislike swimming pools and baths too?

Anyway, it's not gross and even if it were that's what your therapist is there for. Helping you with aversions is right at the top of the list. So please talk! And believe me, you are NOT alone. My own sister hates water (of all forms) and has to force herself to shower :) You are just one step away from that!
MarthaJ
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:25 am

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post