Our partner

How can I cope with religious trauma syndrome?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderators: Otter, quietgirl2538

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

How can I cope with religious trauma syndrome?

Postby deathy10 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:23 am

All my life I was good and after I became an atheist I started noticing an issue I was having. All my life I was good and always tried to be as virtuous as possible. Once I was free from the shackles of religion and its rules I acted immoral and unethical. I'm greedy, selfish, liar, etc.

I feel like Im rebelling against my religious upbringing. I feel like when Im good or do something nice that acting how Im suppose to. All my life I was good and now i think I want to be "bad". Its as if Im tired of being a good guy. I suppose a way to explain how I feel is like when someone grows up with strict parents and after they move out of the house they act rebellious and act crazy/immoral, ranging from cheating on their partner to doing drugs or join to jail.

It feels good when Im nice but at the same time it takes me back to the past where I was always good. It reminds me of a time when I was brainwashed and a slave.
deathy10
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:08 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How can I cope with religious trauma syndrome?

Postby emmylinnea » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:10 pm

Try to think about it this way:
Back then, you were nice because you had to be. Now you you can be because you want to.
emmylinnea
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post