Our partner

Is it medically safe to take antidepressants forever?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: Otter

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Is it medically safe to take antidepressants forever?

Postby yeejah » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:04 am

Hi all,
Is it safe to take antidepressant for the rest of your life? just checking because i believe my psychiatrist is stupid.
yeejah
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:18 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is it medically safe to take antidepressants forever?

Postby Wally58 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:57 pm

Maintenance medications should be monitored for as long as you take them. Many medications are benign and can be taken safely for long periods. You can Google it, but everybody is different and may have different reactions or side-effects to what you are taking.
I was on anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds for 12 years. I am now on blood pressure and cholesterol medications that I may be on for the rest of my life. I have to get blood tests every year to make sure that my liver is tolerating it. It is one day at a time around here anyway.
Why would you think that your psychiatrist is stupid?
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:18 pm

Postby yeejah » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:35 pm

i just dont feel like shes knowledgeable enough...
yeejah
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:18 pm

Postby Wally58 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:57 pm

About drug safety? Everyone reacts differently to 'safe' drugs, so your input to the doctor is important.
There can be typical side-effects listed for a particular drug that won't cover every possible side-effect, known or unknown.
Look at what you are taking online and read about it. Search for 'long-term' side-effects or disadvantages. If you notice any symptoms going on with you that you don't feel are right, call your doctor immediately.
I was on a psych med for awhile and would be questioned by the doctor at every visit about any thoughts of wanting to hurt myself, disconnection with reality and sleeping/eating habits. They have to remain vigilant about proper dosage, need for inpatient intervention and possible unsafe drug interactions, etc.
I was on a med for about a week when I noticed that my ankles were swelling and itchy. I called my doctor and he said to stop taking it immediately. He phoned in a different medication to the pharmacy and this med has been working great so far.
How long have you been seeing this psychiatrist? It is important for you to trust and believe in the treatment you are receiving.
Best of luck to you. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58

Postby UpDownAround » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:39 am

If you are potentially suicidal without them, then of course you keep taking them. How bad is the depression? I have bipolar disorder; it does not go away. I will always take medicine or suffer without it. I have quit meds a few times and eventually regretted it each time. The reason I quit is the desire to be med free. The desire to mitigate my MI is more important.
Up and down
And in the end it's only round and round

Pink Floyd - Us and Them

bipolar II, hyperacusis, substance use disorder
lamictal, straterra, saphris
UpDownAround
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles