Our partner

Mental Illness Hypochondriasis

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderators: Otter, quietgirl2538

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Mental Illness Hypochondriasis

Postby NowWhat » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:00 am

Hey. I'm new here, so sorry if I posted this in the wrong place or something.

Anyway, I think I might have hypochondriasis, but instead of physical illnesses, it's mental illnesses. First, around October 2016, I thought I might have anorexia/schizophrenia. That only lasted a weekish, and it wasn't that distressing. Then, I thought I had major depression. This has lasted until now, and it's kind of still going on. A month or two ago, I started feeling like I had GAD. Now I also feel like I have OCD (as of a couple of weeks ago). I also felt like I had body dysmorphic disorder/borderline personality disorder. Every time I look up symptoms or hear stories, I find myself adapting to those symptoms, and thinking/behaving in those ways. I really don't know what to do, as I honestly feel depressed/anxious, yet I know I really don't have these things (except maybe mild OCD). I self-harm (although I am trying to stop), and I was (not seriously) thinking about suicide.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I am so confused.
NowWhat
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:28 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Mental Illness Hypochondriasis

Postby Alucard » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi, welcome.

It's so easy to get caught up in things we might have. Especially when there are PDF's of the DSM out on the internet, and you can practically google anything and take "online tests" of mental health issues. A lot of the "symptoms" of mental health problems 1) overlap 2) are very common 3) are explained very vaguely in both the DSM and online, which attributes to the commonality. For example, in my late teens (18, 19) I thought I had borderline personality disorder because my moods were all over the place, I was irate, I'd snap on people in a tenth of a second, and I didn't feel like I had any sort of identity. Those are common feelings a lot of people, especially people with a past like mine.

When you look online or take quizzes online, regardless of whether the website looks "legit" or not, even if you omit the answers to questions like "do you see or hear things that aren't there?" or "you're scared to share your ideas because you're not sure if they're real or not", things that would be obviously indicative of someone who is experiencing life differently than others, and you just answer yes to questions like "you are unable to focus" or "sometimes it feels like your thoughts don't make sense" the result will still tell you that you have "mild schizophrenia" simply because the test states that it's "for schizophrenia" lol. As someone who does see and hear things, and experiences different realities, I find those people who put those tests up online pretty ignorant.

My point is I think it's natural to try and find a place where we feel we fit, in terms of mentality and health. Regardless of a label, it's obvious you are really struggling. You don't need a label to tell you that. You're not satisfied with something going on in your life and that's okay. Maybe you can find some support. A lot of people, if they respond, are going to tell you "go to a professional to get diagnosed" and sure, that's an option. It's what everyone feels comfortable with because it's what most people feel they have to do. But there are other options too, for support. Groups, peers, activities, local things.

Anyway, I wish you luck.
I like living in the world in my head because I'm in charge half the time.

https://mentaltruths.wordpress.com/
Alucard
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:28 pm
Blog: View Blog (9)

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post