Our partner

Who am I?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: Otter

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Who am I?

Postby VernonJenkins » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:01 am

Edit: I found my answer. Marijuana is ######6 with my head.
VernonJenkins
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:49 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Who am I?

Postby AmandaBroken » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Kinda disappointed I was looking forward to this post. Not many people know themselves.
Until you're broken, you don't know what you're made of.
It gives you the ability to build yourself all over again,
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:49 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby VernonJenkins » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:54 pm

My original post: It's okay Brandon, you're not a little boy anymore. You can be yourself now. :cry: :lol:

I go from crying to laughing within a few seconds... Now there's nothing again. That's a good thing but... Why do I attach and then detach so quickly to things? Why, in the end, am I lost when it comes to a sense of direction... Who the hell am I?! I'm delusional! :x

Where's my answer?! I want an answer! I want out of this prison! I'm screaming inside! LET ME THE ###$ OUT OF HERE! WHERE IS MY ######6 IDENTITY?!

ARE YOU THE EMO KID WHO LISTENS TO HEAVY METAL MUSIC?! ARE YOU THE COOL KID WHO LISTENS TO GANGSTER RAP AND MENTALLY OBJECTIFIES WOMEN?! ARE YOU THE SARCASTIC KNOW-IT-ALL PSEUDO-INTELLECTUAL?! ARE YOU THE MASOCHIST WHO LIKES TO BE TREATED LIKE $#%^ BY THE OPPOSITE SEX?! WHO... THE ###$... ARE YOU?! :?
VernonJenkins
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby AmandaBroken » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Sounds desperate...
Until you're broken, you don't know what you're made of.
It gives you the ability to build yourself all over again,
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:49 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby VernonJenkins » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:47 pm

Yes...
VernonJenkins
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby GuyVinces » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:56 pm

VernonJenkins wrote:Marijuana is ######6 with my head.

GuyVinces
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:49 pm

Postby bipolar123 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:58 pm

Why do you have to be one thing? I like some rap, heavy metal,am sarcastic and all those things.

I don't have one solid "image" of who I am. I have a lot of interests and knowledge about different things.
You need to discover what you like.
bipolar123
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:49 am

Postby sunshineNrainbows » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:24 am

"Who am I?" is partly a trick question because we tend to become more like who we think we are ("self-fulfilling prophecy" is the psych term for this). For example, if I think I'm a jerk, I'll tend to find more ways of being a jerk than if I didn't think I was a jerk. As a result, "Who am I?" can be an interesting question to ask but it can also limit who we can be if we don't like aspects of our past. If you're concerned about limiting who you're capable of being by asking, "Who am I?" then the question to ask instead is, "Who do I want to be?"
sunshineNrainbows
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:49 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby VernonJenkins » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:49 pm

bipolar123 wrote:Why do you have to be one thing? I like some rap, heavy metal,am sarcastic and all those things.

I don't have one solid "image" of who I am. I have a lot of interests and knowledge about different things.
You need to discover what you like.

This makes sense.

sunshineNrainbows wrote:"Who am I?" is partly a trick question because we tend to become more like who we think we are ("self-fulfilling prophecy" is the psych term for this). For example, if I think I'm a jerk, I'll tend to find more ways of being a jerk than if I didn't think I was a jerk. As a result, "Who am I?" can be an interesting question to ask but it can also limit who we can be if we don't like aspects of our past. If you're concerned about limiting who you're capable of being by asking, "Who am I?" then the question to ask instead is, "Who do I want to be?"

Yeah, that makes sense too... I know who I want to be, but I have a lot of conflicting feelings that pull me in the opposite direction and then I feel disappointed/ashamed... The worst part is that I allow them to pull me in the opposite direction.
VernonJenkins
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby sunshineNrainbows » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:43 am

VernonJenkins wrote:Yeah, that makes sense too... I know who I want to be, but I have a lot of conflicting feelings that pull me in the opposite direction and then I feel disappointed/ashamed... The worst part is that I allow them to pull me in the opposite direction.

Would you like to talk about who you want to be and the feelings pulling you in the opposite direction, Vernon? Maybe it'll help highlight both who you are and what you ought to do.
sunshineNrainbows
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:49 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)

Next

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum