Our partner

Homeless.

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: Tyler77

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Homeless.

Postby sabotage3 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:08 pm

So, has anyone lived in a homeless shelter here? What are they like?

I think sometimes I would be better off in one than where Im at now.

Also Im regularly threatened to be made homeless and I really dont care at this point if thats what happens to me.
sabotage3
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:29 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Homeless.

Postby lonelydaydream » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:46 pm

Hi there - sorry to hear you're going through this! Yes, I have lived in a hostel (I'm in the UK) - it was for about 6 weeks and was really unpleasant, tbh, as I didn't feel safe there. However, it did encourage me to sort my life out & find somewhere of my own to rent! Not all hostels are the same, of course. I don't know anything about your situation so I obviously can't offer advice, just describe my experience and wish you the very best of luck!
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well." Mother Juliana of Norwich, 15th century.
lonelydaydream
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:44 am
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby AmandaBroken » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:01 pm

I have never been homeless. But I went with my church to a homeless shelter every Tuesday for over 7 years. From my observations, you never want to go to a homeless shelter unless it's a true emergency and for a short period of time.

Most shelters are designed for short stays. They are not a safe environment for young males. The one I went to had over 200 men in triple bunk beds with almost no privacy. Confined to a small space. They were allowed to be in the building at 4 pm. Lights out at 10 pm. They were served dinner and breakfast but had to leave by 8 am and then wander the streets until 4 pm. They made medical exemptions for some but most were forced out. After 3 days they were made to leave unless they were given a 7-day extension. During this time they were counseled and had to look for work. If they found work they were given a 3-month extension. They had to do drug and alcohol testings at random. (Everyone coming in had to get drug and alcohol tests done. Failure to pass and you were kicked out or not let in, to begin with). The money they earned was held for them. They were allowed 10% of what they earned for expenses. At the end of three months, all money collected was returned and they had to leave. There was an additional 3-month extension program for those who qualified. But after 6 months you had to leave. Also, everyone who came in had to go to the police station for a quick background check. Any sex offenders or those who had been convicted of violent crimes were not allowed in.

Women had a better chance than men. There are more programs available. If they had children they also had more opportunities. They had to jump through all the same hoops as me but their living conditions were better. They stayed in bunk beds. Each room space had 2 bunk beds so that children could stay with their moms. There were only 2 apartments available for men with children. They also followed all of the above rules.

Overall if you have a true emergency it's better than the streets.

Amanda
Until you're broken, you don't know what you're made of.
It gives you the ability to build yourself all over again,
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Siamese Fever » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:16 am

sabotage3 wrote:So, has anyone lived in a homeless shelter here? What are they like?

Also Im regularly threatened to be made homeless and I really dont care at this point if thats what happens to me.

Members of my family used to live out their vehicles for years, and they said it ws one of the nicer times of their lives. You don't need to be homeless. Houselessness on the other hand... it can be a drag, but there's ways to live without one.
Siamese Fever
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:44 pm

Postby AmandaBroken » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:22 am

Siamese Fever wrote:
sabotage3 wrote:So, has anyone lived in a homeless shelter here? What are they like?

I think sometimes I would be better off in one than where I'm at now.

Also, I'm regularly threatened to be made homeless and I really don't care at this point if that's what happens to me.

Members of my family used to live out their vehicles for years, and they said it was one of the nicer times of their lives. You don't need to be homeless. Houselessness on the other hand... it can be a drag, but there are ways to live without one.

I had spoken to some who lived out of their car. It may be okay for an individual or a couple. You can sleep in a Walmart parking lot. But now add children to the equation. Things get harder. It's not a life. It's survival and not much of one. I don't think living out of your car is any better.
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby moleculeoflife » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:35 am

Hi
why do they threat you? i don't think that it would be nice to be homeless.

if you don't have a job, you should get one. that way you will be able to have your own apartment.
moleculeoflife
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:44 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby sabotage3 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:11 am

Thanks guys. I am probably not thinking very clearly today.

I dont even own a vehicle anymore....its been years since I did.

I live in a somewhat isolated location. Theres not much here and you have to travel for things.

I have no friends and I dont get along with my family. My mental health has been bad lately.

No, I dont have any kids.
sabotage3
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby AmandaBroken » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:14 am

sabotage3 wrote:Thanks guys. I am probably not thinking very clearly today.

I don't even own a vehicle anymore....it's been years since I did.

I live in a somewhat isolated location. There's not much here and you have to travel for things.

I have no friends and I don't get along with my family. My mental health has been bad lately.

No, I don't have any kids.

sabotage3 may I offer you a gentle hug and a soft embrace. I'm here if you need to talk.

Amanda
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Goodboy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:42 am

The truth about homeless shelters.

You will first meet people and socialize and thinks it's great. What you don't know is most people in a shelter have been in there for a year sometimes their whole adulthood

Reality starts to set in fast. You are are living with anywhere from 20 to a hundred people that are doing the same thing as you. You have no independence anymore. It hard to make progress when you are put in this scenario

Most of them do receive some a small amount financial assistance from the government, which is mainly spent on drugs or alcohol

You will now be interacting with people that are professionals on spending their time on the street

You will be kicked out in the morning. Let in in the afternoon for dinner. This will lead you to hang out with people that are accustom to that lifestyle

This should be the first thing I wrote. Don't expect to move in there with your luggage or else expect your stuff to be stolen. Yes your clothes will start dissappearing. It will happen

You may become trapped. You easily fall into a scenario where it will be hard to make any progress in your life. Especially when you have no clothes over sometime, this will make getting a job or getting your own place more difficult or even owning something simple as a phone

People do start to notice your homeless, you'll end up hanging out in the same places your lifestyle really starts to deteriorate. You don't have structure or a roof under your head 24/7

Criminals often often live in shelter, they don't necessarily stop them from living there or stop people from doing drugs

If you have a mental illness it could possibly get worse due to stress andyou can expect living in a shelter you will encounter people with mental disabilities much more severe than yours.

You will become counterproductive, it's a hard lifestyle to be on the move all the time

Take a look at a homeless person and consider what they're doing on a daily basis. Do you really want that lifestyle?

If you post some more insight where you are from if you have a mental illness If you can work I'd be able to give you better suggestions like disability housing employment programs
Goodboy
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby sabotage3 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:00 am

There arent any homeless people anywhere near where I live. But yea....its a dumb idea. I would be eaten alive the first day. I grew up on a farm.

I cant get disability....Ive tried. I think Im bipolar but I am not diagnosed with it. I have/had psychosis and was institutionalized. I have other problems too. Ive been through a lot of trauma.

There are low income housing where I live but they are usually filled and I got kicked out the last time because youre not allowed pets and I have a cat.

I start to feel trapped and it gets to me. Theres nothing in the town I live. Not even a grocery store. I suppose there are people more isolated than me.

Ive been offered free pastoral counseling. Im not sure what that is but maybe I should take it.

I start to think nothing will help unless its something drastic. The stress of a homeless shelter would probably make me even crazier. That is where a lot of people like myself end up though.
sabotage3
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Next

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post