Our partner

Mid-Term Grades

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Mid-Term Grades

Postby AmandaBroken » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:38 pm

The results are in I received the following Mid-Term Grades.

I did great...

My GPA stands at 4.20

and I'm at the top of the class by .50 from the nearest competitor.

For me, everything is a competition.
Until you're broken, you don't know what you're made of.
It gives you the ability to build yourself all over again,
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat May 27, 2017 6:34 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Mid-Term Grades

Postby sunshineNrainbows » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:14 am

Well done, Amanda. What skills were you able to learn in the process of achieving this feat?
sunshineNrainbows
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat May 27, 2017 5:34 am
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby AmandaBroken » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:32 pm

sunshineNrainbows wrote:Well done, Amanda. What skills were you able to learn in the process of achieving this feat?

That's not an easy question to answer. I have a double major in Psychology and History. I start my Master's program in June. My goal is to be a Psychologist. I don't need to work but I want to open a clinic for those who need Mental Health access but can not afford it.
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby sunshineNrainbows » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:38 pm

AmandaBroken wrote:
sunshineNrainbows wrote:Well done, Amanda. What skills were you able to learn in the process of achieving this feat?

That's not an easy question to answer. I have a double major in Psychology and History. I start my Master's program in June. My goal is to be a Psychologist. I don't need to work but I want to open a clinic for those who need Mental Health access but can not afford it.

Wow, I'm betting you're an exceptional reader and note-taker, Amanda. :D I'm a psych student too (undergrad) so I can see why it's hard to answer. Other than our writing assignments and participation in research studies, it doesn't seem we're taught many specific skills until entering a master's program. What were some of your favorite classes?
sunshineNrainbows
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby AmandaBroken » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:36 pm

Possible Trigger Warning for some descriptive language.

My favorite classes, quite a few. My most favorites. Hmm.

Abnormal Psychology.

Criminal Psychology.

A practicum on DSM-5. Which is an important book to know? A diagnosis between Pi-Polar 1 and 2 is as thin as a piece of paper.

A practicum on the process of formulating a diagnosis. Very helpful when you first meet a potential client.

Child Psychology was a good class on understanding children.

A practicum on Interviewing the unwilling. Which I was told happens a lot. From what I saw a lot of times the psychologist/psychiatrist has to see through a lot of #######4 to make a correct diagnostic. The person being interviewed can damage this by not being open or honest. They end up on meds that don't work or create more problems. It's really important that the client is truthful.

A practicum on medications. This was amazing. A fascinating look at modern psychotropic medications and the hit and miss nature of finding the right combination which can take years. What works well for one will not work well for all. I sometimes called it Voodoo Medicine. It is not an exact science. Sometimes the experiment blows up in your face. Which causes undue grief on the clients part.

A practicum and class on the Art of Counseling. Basically Manipulation 1 and 2. But it was a fun class. Having now been on both sides of the desk I see that there is a constant game being played between the Therapist and the Patient. Like once I was asked by a counselor do I have a desire and the means of self-harming? Duh! Means... I live in a house with knives, saws, razors, surgical scalpels, power tools, damn I could cut using a toothpick, a straw, or a rock... Of course, I have the means to cut. Sometimes counselors can just be plain stupid.

Overall there was a lot of theory. history, but I learned a lot. I graduate in May with my Bachelors and will start on my Master's in June. If I don't cut between now and August 31st in September I can start counseling under supervision. It will take me 2 years to complete my Masters and then start on my Doctoral Degree. Feel free to ask me anything.
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby AmandaBroken » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:05 pm

sunshineNrainbows wrote:
AmandaBroken wrote:

Wow, I'm betting you're an exceptional reader and note-taker, Amanda.

I am a great reader. I took classes that helped me improve speed and retention. I don't need the money but I take the notes for 3 different classes and email them to other students at the rate of $20 per class per person. It's my fun money.
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby sunshineNrainbows » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:44 pm

Would you be willing to write about some of the techniques and understandings you've learned in your account's personal blog on this website? Many of us could really benefit from learning parts of what was taught to you as part of your on-going education. I would certainly read anything you can provide on those topics - especially interviewing the unwilling and understanding when, how, and why someone I'm trying to help may be attempting to deceive me.
sunshineNrainbows
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby AmandaBroken » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:58 pm

sunshineNrainbows wrote:Would you be willing to write about some of the techniques and understandings you've learned in your account's personal blog on this website? Many of us could really benefit from learning parts of what was taught to you as part of your on-going education. I would certainly read anything you can provide on those topics - especially interviewing the unwilling and understanding when, how, and why someone I'm trying to help may be attempting to deceive me.

I could do that. But if you have some specific questions of you own I can try to answer them here.

Remember not everyone who comes to counseling is a willing participant. Some are court ordered, some, like teenagers, are dragged under threat by their parents. Some are using the system to avoid having to work. Some are shy, hurting, and unsure if they can trust. There is a multitude of probabilities. Your job is to peel the onion. It can take months. Again having been on both sides of the desk I would say the first need is trust.

I was a trusting individual. I never had a reason for not trusting. I lived in a safe and secure environment. I was loved. I was happy. So after the accident, it was easy for me to be open, honest, and helpful. Not everyone is like me. (I'll get back to this later... sorry...)
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby sunshineNrainbows » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:39 am

Alright. What were some of parts of lessons that were most eye-opening about the way our minds can work? For example, lessons making you stop and think something like, "Wow, I really needed to learn to this. This is really helpful."
sunshineNrainbows
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post