Our partner

Who cares?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: Otter

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Who cares?

Postby home-alone » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:48 pm

I'm 60 y/o male and have spent the past 20+ years dealing with CPTSD, DID, and all the paranoid agoraphobic symptoms resulting from being molested as a child.
But who cares?
When we're in critical condition, wife says she can't take it.
GP gave me Xyprexa and gained 50 lbs. Had to quit and still trying to get back to acceptable weight.
Finally after years, on my own without referral, have been seen by a psychiatrist and got Latuda but paranoia and DID symptoms as bad as ever. 15 minute a month appointments not cutting it.
Was finally, on our own, recently admitted to psych hospital Intensive Out Patient Program where we were out of home and among other like people and received helpful Gabapentin/Neurontin medication 4 times a day that helped paranoia cessation. But that's over after 10 days. What now?
Referred to LPC who is clueless. We do not know where to start. Told him yesterday psych testing might help be a start and at least obtain a formal diagnosis instead of some social workers opinion Personality Disorder diagnosis.
We suffer extreme paranoia, afraid to go outside, have no desire to interact with other people, have alters and love to regress back to childhood sexuality.

But what to do?? Do not have a clue how to start therapy locked in a small closed space with LPC who says if we are not satisfied, good luck finding some one new.
Who gives a damn about an older male, let alone his mental health. Shame I'm not a young female with reproductive qualities and could receive the necessary empathy, attention, and treatment necessary to live a semblance of a life outside home.
I have access to decent medical insurance coverage, but how do you get any one to care ? ?
Any advice appreciated; Home Alone
home-alone
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Who cares?

Postby AmandaBroken » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:35 am

Hi.

First I want to say I agree with you. I am a single white female age 21 who people fight over to help me. In my observations my counselor's office I have heard older folks complain all the time that no one is listening to them. The same is true from what I have heard about homeless people. Women are given more aid than men are especially if they are young. I am sorry this is happening to you.

I want to encourage you to speak up more to the people you are meeting with. Maybe prepare ahead of time by writing these thoughts out on paper. It's a shame you aren't being heard. You just may need to be more vocal of your needs. Do you have someone who could help you with this? Maybe go with you to these appointments?

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Feel free to talk to me.

Amanda
Until you're broken, you don't know what you're made of.
It gives you the ability to build yourself all over again,
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Goodboy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:56 am

You said you quit cypress due to weight gain. How were you doing on that medication? It could be that latuda is not the right fit for you. It is known to cause restlessness and anxiety. It is also a very activating medication that can cause a person to feel uneasy or on the edge of things, thinking from one minute to the to next.
Goodboy
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:19 pm

Postby home-alone » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:22 pm

Thank you both for responding.
I'm taking Latuda as well as Prozac with Gabapentin. The Gabapentin works but the other 2 I question. Haven't gotten a full night sleep since starting Latuda.

Amanda; Thanks for understanding. I was around during Vietnam where we were used as toy soldiers and I still feel expendable to this day. I wish you well.
Tom
home-alone
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby AmandaBroken » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:47 pm

Amanda; Thanks for understanding. I was around during Vietnam where we were used as toy soldiers and I still feel expendable to this day. I wish you well.
Tom

Thanks, Tom. Keep me informed on what's happening. If you ever need to talk fell free to contact me.

Amanda
Until you're broken, you don't know what you're made of.
It gives you the ability to build yourself all over again,
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Goodboy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:54 pm

Sorry I meant zyprexa not cypress. Again latuda is known to cause restleness. It is listed as a common side effect. This is a known problem with abilify as well. You were probably given latuda due to its favorable weight gain weight profile compared to other antipsychotics. You might want to ask your doctor to switch to antipsychotic other than latuda or abilify. All the rest are sedating, some more than others. One that doesn't cause weight gain is called geodon or zeldox depending where you are from
Goodboy
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Goodboy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:14 pm

Another advantage of geodon compared to other antipsychotics is that it is used off label for ptsd
Goodboy
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby home-alone » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanx GoodBoy.
I'm going to Google search those meds right now. Trouble is the Doc won't let me prescribe, and the girl who comes around in high heels with the sample bag is who gives him motivation for what he chooses for us to take. And I'm still struggling with 50 lbs...............
Home-Alone Tom

-- Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:08 am --

AmandaBroken wrote:
Tom

Thanks, Tom. Keep me informed on what's happening. If you ever need to talk fell free to contact me.

Amanda

Thank you Amanda. May I contact you off the forum, or should we keep correspondence out in the open? I have not posted here in years and find myself a little behind at times.
Home-Alone Tom
home-alone
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post