Our partner

I'm finally antipsychotic free

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

I'm finally antipsychotic free

Postby Goodboy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:05 am

Good news everyone. My doctor has finally taken me off antipsychotics and put me on a mood stabilizer only

My experience with antipsychotics:

Zyprexa: Discontinued due to very rapid and tremendous weight gain
Seroquel: Discontinued to due weight gain
Invega: Discontinued due to Parkisons like effect, walking like a zombie, restless and pain in legs and knees
Risperdal: Discontinued to to involuntary movements in face
Geodon: Discontinued due to inability to stay awake
Abilify: Discontinued due to hives
Saphris: Discontinued due to akathisia (couldn't stand in one spot with pacing or bending legs)
Latuda: Discontinued due to restlessness, difficulty swallowing (needed to constantly swallow and not being to swallow properly

100 pounds later I'm glad to say I'm off or just about finished tapering off. I'm hoping weight comes off. These medication have caused me to gain a lot of weight

My new medication is carbamazapine. Is it common for people to take just a mood stabilizer? And will I lose weight now
Goodboy
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu May 25, 2017 5:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I'm finally antipsychotic free

Postby PerplexedMan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:24 am

Congrats my friend. That's good news for you. I think you are quite lucky to have been only on oral medication. I just quit my depot and I have to wait another 4-5 months before the drug clears from my system. They want me to stay on it for another 7 months which is ridiculous since I have no diagnosis whatsoever. All I had is one off psychotic episode which doesn't warrant being drugged for 1 year "just to be on the same side".
PerplexedMan
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu May 25, 2017 10:02 pm

Postby Goodboy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:51 pm

That's common, doctors usually want you to be on a antipsychotic for at least two years to prevent relapse. I would think of it it as a good way to prevent you from getting sick again. My doctor has said he does this based on primarily expierience. They usually try not to tell you a diagnosis either
Goodboy
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Otter » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:14 pm

Yep, congrats Goodboy. I'm hoping to be off them one day, too.
IQ: 54 (WAIS)
Otter
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu May 25, 2017 4:02 pm

Postby quietgirl2538 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:54 pm

So jealous! No, I'm just kidding. :lol:

I'm starting a new one (antipsychotic) called Rexulti (brexpiprazole). Hopefully no weight gain.

I take lamictal as a mood stabilizer and I am able to tolerate an antidepressant without becoming manic (Wellbutrin). I have heard of a person only take a mood stabilizer and they were fine, but again, like we always state, it can be different for others.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Dx: Bipolar I
Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 4.5 mg
diazepam p.r.n 10 mg twice a day

Forum Rules
quietgirl2538

Blog: View Blog (66)

Postby Goodboy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:23 pm

Rexulti is similar to abilify, and is thought of to be a patent extender as abilify is going generic soon.

It definitely causes weight gain.

If you don't want to gain weight I recommend Geodon or Latuda, Saphris isn't suppose to bad as well but it dissolves under your tongue and the taste is horrible. No you can't just swallow it

With Geodon and Latuda you need to eat food with it.

Rexulti is suppose to be a cleaner version of ability with less side affects, but causes weight gain

-- Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:31 pm --

Worst weight gain from most to least:

1. Clozapine
2. Zyprexa
3. Seroquel
4. Risperadol
5. Invega
6. Rexulti
7. Abilify
8. Saphris
9. Latuda
10. Geodon
Goodboy
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby quietgirl2538 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:33 am

I am weaning off Abilify for medical reasons. It's affecting my diabetes. I'm willing to try Rexulti and see how I do but there is a plan B if that doesn't work. I can't be gaining more weight.

The doctor told me Rexulti seems to help with depression and I am dealing with that right now so that is why he recommended this one. I will be on 2mg once I've titrated up to that. Plus we have to first see if the insurance approves it. For now I only have samples. If I didn't have this depression I'd definitely try to convince him to let me be antipsychotic free as well. :(

Btw, I have Abilify as a generic version but I don't know how to spell the name.

Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 4.5 mg

Forum Rules
quietgirl2538

Postby Goodboy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:50 am

quietgirl2538 wrote:I am weaning off Abilify for medical reasons. It's affecting my diabetes. I'm willing to try Rexulti and see how I do but there is a plan B if that doesn't work. I can't be gaining more weight.

The doctor told me Rexulti seems to help with depression and I am dealing with that right now so that is why he recommended this one. I will be on 2mg once I've titrated up to that. Plus we have to first see if the insurance approves it. For now I only have samples. If I didn't have this depression I'd definitely try to convince him to let me be antipsychotic free as well. :(

Btw, I have Abilify as a generic version but I don't know how to spell the name.

Seroquel, abilify, and Saphris all have an antidepressant effect. There isn't much information on Rexulti so I couldn't tell you. But one thing to look out for is that doctors usually prescribe newer medications like rexuilti because they make money off it. It's common for psychiatrists to tell you that a medication is weight neutral. This is a popular belief with Ability. When it was tested for short term many people did not report weight gain, this data is given to doctors when it isn't very accurate. I can tell you that ability does cause weight gain and lead to diabetes and rexulti is worse.

If your on a generic version of abilify I doubt insurance is going to cover result I as there is no generic. It can cost around S1000 dollars per month to fill a prescription without insurance. Hence why doctors like to prescribe it
Goodboy
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby quietgirl2538 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:13 am

I liked Abilify very much because it works for me while many other drugs I've tried have failed miserably. I was stable on 20 mg of Abilify alongside Lithium, but I stopped lithium because of the side effects. Now I find myself unstable. But I get super hungry with Abilify and I can't easily manage my diabetes while taking it. It's almost impossible to not eat when you feel as if you're starving.

I am going to try Rexulti if the insurance covers it, but if not I'll ask for an alternative. I tried Saphris and I had an allergic reaction to it. Seroquel left me tired and groggy all day long. I am willing to pay up to the maximum amount of a $50 copay, if the insurance approves it, otherwise I will try other ones.

I love Abilify because it works, but it's side effects are not good for me. I am limited to carbs (from the diabetes).

I have only good things to say about Abilify and how it has helped me other than the fact that it can cause weight gain. I have Bipolar I. But it is true that a possible side effect from taking it can result in weight gain. I have experienced that side effect. I've put up with it because I like to be stable but after about 10 months of stability I want to try something different to help me lose weight instead of gaining.

Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 4.5 mg

Forum Rules
quietgirl2538

Postby Goodboy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:49 am

quietgirl2538 wrote:I liked Abilify very much because it works for me while many other drugs I've tried have failed miserably. I was stable on 20 mg of Abilify alongside Lithium, but I stopped lithium because of the side effects. Now I find myself unstable. But I get super hungry with Abilify and I can't easily manage my diabetes while taking it. It's almost impossible to not eat when you feel as if you're starving.

I am going to try Rexulti if the insurance covers it, but if not I'll ask for an alternative. I tried Saphris and I had an allergic reaction to it. Seroquel left me tired and groggy all day long. I am willing to pay up to the maximum amount of a $50 copay, if the insurance approves it, otherwise I will try other ones.

I love Abilify because it works, but it's side effects are not good for me. I am limited to carbs (from the diabetes).

I have only good things to say about Abilify and how it has helped me other than the fact that it can cause weight gain. I have Bipolar I. But it is true that a possible side effect from taking it can result in weight gain. I have experienced that side effect. I've put up with it because I like to be stable but after about 10 months of stability I want to try something different to help me lose weight instead of gaining.

When I tried ability it was really activating for me. It made me really anxious, gave me akathisia (the need to constantly move your legs, not being able to stand in one spot) and suicidal ideation before I broke out in hives

I'd give geodon a try it really is weight neutral some even experience weight loss on it

Lamtrogine can replace lithium as a mood stabilizer and doesn't cause weight gain

Another medication to try is Topamax. It is usually not prescribed as a mood stabilizer because it isn't effective like other mood stabilizers. Psychiatrists will prescribe it to aid weight loss. It can be taken on top of a antipsychotic. High doses can have you find difficulty finding words though. It is used in a weight loss medication called phentermine
Goodboy
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Next

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post