Our partner

narrating everything

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: Tyler77

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

narrating everything

Postby Aphera » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:08 am

Does anyone else narrate their thoughts and emotions in their head constantly? I don't even know how to explain it but my brain is just like split into three parts. Two are like the typical angel devil like one tries to calm me down and the other one is like no everything is bad, theres always an argument I have with myself in my head and then theres the little voice that narrates everything even the arguments with my own self it makes no sense, does anyone else have this?? is there a way I could stop this? Its really annoying
Aphera
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: narrating everything

Postby Tyler77 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:36 am

Narrate in my head? Hell, I narrate out loud! Whether I'm at work, at a restaurant, playing a game, whatever, I'm talking to myself, narrating what I'm doing, letting my imaginary audience know what I'm doing, every second.

But in all seriousness, I do have the "angel and devil" thing going on too, I think most people do, to a certain extent. It helps us pick and choose what to do. The narrating voice over those arguments is something I go through too

To be honest with you, I don't know if it's a mental illness, and I don't know how to stop it, but I wanted to let you know that you're not the only one fighting it.

Stay strong.
Email me if you want a donut

Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type.

Medication: Geodone 160 MG, Lexipro 5 MG.
Tyler77
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:38 pm

Postby Trictson » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:24 am

Tyler77 wrote:Narrate in my head? Hell, I narrate out loud! Whether I'm at work, at a restaurant, playing a game, whatever, I'm talking to myself, narrating what I'm doing, letting my imaginary audience know what I'm doing, every second.

And you're not the only one there Tyler77! :D I've spent quality time trying to get the narration back IN my head and not out my mouth publicly. LOL

In all seriousness though, I too, think most people debate making decisions with themselves. By any number a various methods. For those of us who struggle more with social interaction it can really emphasize our own process of choosing, while making us feel like others do it easily. But if they are, chances are they probably didn't at some point and now just have had a lot of practice.

As for the angel/devil characteristics feeling like
Aphera wrote:my brain is just like split into three parts
, that isn't at all abnormal. In fact, given the popularity of that type of visual is very common. Most people find a problem or decision easier to examine if done from a third-party perpective, where both sides can be viewed at the same time. Nothing wrong with that at all.

However, I will say that when the two argue in public, people either ask questions or pretend you didn't say anything at all. :-)
Trictson
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby mariele » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:43 pm

Yes I have the same problem! Although I haven't thought of it as the typical angel and devil kind of a deal. But yes. I've narrated (in my head and out loud) for as long as I can remember. I don't remember that far so probably when I was like 10-12. For me the funny thing here is that it happens, well in my head it happens in English (out loud in my native language). So.. it's kind of weird. I did start "learning" English when I was 4 so I guess that would explain it somewhat.
But I have several different diagnoses (anxiety, personality, somatoform, a little this and that..) so I really don't know what it is, but one of my main problems is rationalisation so I guess, and a psychiatrist thinks they could be related.

But I definitely annoy people when I narrate out loud. I think. I'm not the only one though I must say if you think about it many people do that. And mothers especially because it's good for their children's language development so it's partly an unconscious thing for them. I've also worked with a friend who says everything out loud.

I also daydream obsessively and use it as a defense mechanism (example: my symptoms include difficulty with eating -> I have a discussion with someone, family member, psychiatrist, friend, anyone really about something that interests me, as to divert myself from the problem). But they could be separate things.. I don't believe so though. It seems to stem from a need to, on one hand be in contact a lot (I guess I struggle with independence) and on the other live inside my head so nothing about the 'real world' can bother me.

And I definitely ponder choices out loud if I have company because decisionmaking is like crossing an ocean with a kayak for me so I might unconsciously wish for them to make the decision for me.
In so many ways I'm somebody else
I'm trying so hard to be myself.
I just need to hear somebody say
That this will all make sense one day.
Well it's getting late, I'd better go
I made it this far.. as far as I know.
mariele
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:38 am

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum