Our partner

Mental Illness and the Church

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: Otter

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Re: Mental Illness and the Church

Postby AmandaBroken » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:09 am

Goodboy wrote:I'd try and see a psychiatrist about getting some help if your harming yourself.

As for the church your not going to hell, just believe in God.

I see a counselor every week. I will be seeing my psychiatrist on Tuesday.

Thank you for responding.

Amanda
Until you're broken, you don't know what you're made of.
It gives you the ability to build yourself all over again,
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:15 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby julllia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:15 am

Why do I ever expect anything different or bother.If I have learn anything from disorders, is how people do not change when they are sick nomatter you tell them. They just stuck in their close minds,keep doing what they always do,never think anything else. Maybe a psychologist would know better. Because I am out. Goodboy is right
julllia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Goodboy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:20 am

It doesn't even sound like a great church to honest. In my church the priest can marry... I guess he's breaking the rules too. To be honest the priest sins himself, so don't let other people tell you what you can or can't do. In the end church is a business, it operates on people's money. You don't need a church to tell you what you can't do sexually or what clothes you can wear.
Not sure where you are from but a lot or churches in the U.S. Are more like cults and everything about them is fiction
Goodboy
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:15 am

Postby AmandaBroken » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:27 am

To Goodboy and julllia

Thank you for responding. Obviously, we approach this subject from vastly different points of reference. I go to a CMA Church. Christian and Missionary Alliance. I am, despite everything a fundamentalist Christian. I believe.

I wish you both a good night.

Amanda
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Goodboy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:43 am

Where I live we get missionaries that come over here from the U.S. They usually young and come in pairs. they save their money to come here. Then for 2 years they interact with strangers to read them bible stories. They do this on a day to day basis. Before they go home. They basicly preach the bible
Goodboy
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby AmandaBroken » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:37 am

They are probably Mormons.
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby julllia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:27 pm

I had one grandmother who believed in church and god with passion but was progressive and tolerant and more fun. And another that was very close minded.i told her when I was 10 I wanted to be an actor and she started crying that I will go to hell.
And about 10 years old I understood how superficial she was and how she didn't love me. But I also understand how alone she was,and had only god that why she was obsessed.

I am close to make a joke and say yes you definitely going to hell. BeCause you are being illogical and close minded.
You are not supposed to be afraid of punishment but wanting love,this is how you make decisions.not out of fear of punishment but because you want to give love.
I swear I think I remember that from school we had a obligatory theological class,noone cared or payed attention,it was one of those classes that are not important for grades like math is important etc

Anyway I googled Mormons out of curiosity and saw this in wiki: (are Mormons those who prefer their children to die than take blood or something and go to doctors)anyway I saw this

Liberal Mormons, also known as Progressive Mormons, take an interpretive approach to LDS teachings and scripture.[117] They look to the scriptures for spiritual guidance, but do not necessarily believe the teachings to be literally or uniquely true. For liberal Mormons, revelation is a process through which God gradually brings fallible human beings to greater understanding.[124] Liberal Mormons place doing good and loving fellow human beings above the importance of believing correctly.[125] In a separate context, members of small progressive breakaway groups have also adopted the label.
julllia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby AmandaBroken » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:19 pm

julllia wrote:I had one grandmother who believed in church and god with passion but was progressive and tolerant and more fun. And another that was very close minded.i told her when I was 10 I wanted to be an actor and she started crying that I will go to hell.
And about 10 years old I understood how superficial she was and how she didn't love me. But I also understand how alone she was,and had only god that why she was obsessed.

I am close to make a joke and say yes you definitely going to hell. BeCause you are being illogical and close minded.
You are not supposed to be afraid of punishment but wanting love,this is how you make decisions.not out of fear of punishment but because you want to give love.
I swear I think I remember that from school we had a obligatory theological class,noone cared or payed attention,it was one of those classes that are not important for grades like math is important etc

Anyway I googled Mormons out of curiosity and saw this in wiki: (are Mormons those who prefer their children to die than take blood or something and go to doctors)anyway I saw this

Those are Jehovah Witnesses.

Liberal Mormons, also known as Progressive Mormons, take an interpretive approach to LDS teachings and scripture.[117] They look to the scriptures for spiritual guidance, but do not necessarily believe the teachings to be literally or uniquely true. For liberal Mormons, revelation is a process through which God gradually brings fallible human beings to greater understanding.[124] Liberal Mormons place doing good and loving fellow human beings above the importance of believing correctly.[125] In a separate context, members of small progressive breakaway groups have also adopted the label.

From my understanding, the Mormon church is a cult. They teach things contrary to the Word of God.

You seem to have an ax to grind and your taking it out on me. The way you speak you think you are the expert and you know everything. And that is just not true. Why can't you just leave me alone since you have nothing to share with me that is worth while? Go your way and live in peace and let me do the same.

Amanda
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby julllia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:49 pm

You are right I did have aggressive approach because close mindness triggers me .And I really want to attack you so much right now.but I am going to control myself because you are obviously sick.I am not an expert, I am making a discussion. You are the one who is not answering constructive and not discusing the opposite opinion logically.
As you please be alone, and then keep crying why you feel alone, is obvious why now.
As I said I have learn once more my lesson to not bother nor help, people deserve what they get sometimes
julllia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby quietgirl2538 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:29 pm

Thank you julllia for not attacking and for allowing this Thread to be kept open. In a supportive fashion, as that is why this forum exists, I want you (AmandaBroken) to know that I support you.

For me, there came a time, when I decided to make my own choices in my life, based on my logic in how I viewed life with all it's reality facing me each day. By that I mean that I have some very good arguments against what my church teaches against it's beliefs and teachings on being a lesbian and how I do not agree with them. After some time of reflecting (a few years time) I decided that this is my life and that God is good and wants us to be happy and that I am a good person regardless of what my church taught because I stopped going there. I still pray to Jesus and believe he hears my prayers.

Knowing this truth that I am a good person, in my eyes, convinced me that I am not going to be punished for trying to live a good life. I do not believe you have sinned. I want to go so far as to say that I know for a fact that you have not sinned. I am no expert but I am firm in my stance that for myself, I am not condemned for trying to live a good life.

I am glad to know you are seeing a professional because that means you are doing all you can to take care of yourself. I hope what I wrote makes sense and that you receive my support I offer you.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Bipolar I
ADD (inattentive kind)
*I take loads of meds, but they keep me stable
quietgirl2538
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (141)

PreviousNext

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles