Our partner

Is it normal for therapists to not believe anything?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderators: Otter, quietgirl2538

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Is it normal for therapists to not believe anything?

Postby MotherHorseEyes » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:42 pm

I feel like my session are turning into a tug of war battle. I'm saying 'Yes, there's something wrong with me I've going through this my whole life" and my therapist is saying "Nah, there's nothing wrong shut up". It's annoying. I feel like I have blood on my hands and she's saying it's just food coloring.
She is a younger therapist but even if she was older and more experienced this would still piss me off. I don't know what to do.
MotherHorseEyes
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:39 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is it normal for therapists to not believe anything?

Postby Saltire » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:49 am

Sadly, there's a lot of stigma within the Mental Health industry.

Many (even licensed physicians) believe that 'Mental Health problems' are all down to our diet, and environment. I'm not saying that a large part of it isn't, because of course our diet and the environment we live in play a huge part of how healthy we are overall, however that's not the cause or solution to everything. It's bigger than that.

I suggest changing therapists, to me it sounds like she's not very helpful and pretty set in her ways, even if she is young. I've had a similar therapist in the past who thought my weight was tied to everything. She had the mindset of - Anxiety? Eat less. Depression? Eat less, people won't stare at you, and you'll feel less depressed. PTSD? Those vitamins from fruit will make you think about it less. She even tried to convince me that my weight was the cause of my Autism. I stopped seeing her not long after. Absolute nonsense.

So, yes, in answer to your question; It can be normal for therapists to not believe a word you're saying and try to push their ideologies on you. Switch therapists.

Best of luck xx
Autism | Dyspraxia | Auditory Processing Disorder | Dyscalculia
Depression | Anxiety | Post Traumatic Stress Disorder |

They/Them Pronouns | Gender-Fluid
Saltire
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:39 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby MotherHorseEyes » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:56 pm

Saltire wrote:Sadly, there's a lot of stigma within the Mental Health industry.

Many (even licensed physicians) believe that 'Mental Health problems' are all down to our diet, and environment. I'm not saying that a large part of it isn't, because of course our diet and the environment we live in play a huge part of how healthy we are overall, however that's not the cause or solution to everything. It's bigger than that.

I suggest changing therapists, to me it sounds like she's not very helpful and pretty set in her ways, even if she is young. I've had a similar therapist in the past who thought my weight was tied to everything. She had the mindset of - Anxiety? Eat less. Depression? Eat less, people won't stare at you, and you'll feel less depressed. PTSD? Those vitamins from fruit will make you think about it less. She even tried to convince me that my weight was the cause of my Autism. I stopped seeing her not long after. Absolute nonsense.

So, yes, in answer to your question; It can be normal for therapists to not believe a word you're saying and try to push their ideologies on you. Switch therapists.

Best of luck xx

Man this is so dumb. Therapy was suppose to be a magical cure to my depression not another grind. The more #######5 therapists I encounter the more I see that they are just regular people with a degree.
And wow I dont see how you didnt snap on your therapist after she said all that to you, it's borderline abuse.
MotherHorseEyes
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:39 pm

Postby AmandaBroken » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:11 pm

I agree. Switch Therapists. Sometimes you find a diamond, sometimes you find coal.
Until you're broken, you don't know what you're made of.
It gives you the ability to build yourself all over again,
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:39 pm

Postby Contemplation » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:58 am

Very well said. And even among the regular people without a degree, there happen to be some who are absolutely clueless. It's not limited to psychologists/therapists/psychiatrists :mrgreen:

Real life experience can't be bought or acquired through cheating obviously. I've seen dozens of therapists in my life. Found a good one recently, I consider myself lucky. But of course she isn't perfect.

Best wishes
Contemplation
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:39 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post