Our partner

People don't understand me when I speak

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderators: Otter, quietgirl2538

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

People don't understand me when I speak

Postby MotherHorseEyes » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:14 am

Is it my volume, my pronunciation, do i stutter and mumble, do I have an accent or some speech impediment?
I don't know. All I know is that it's annoying. This combos with my other minor communication problems I have and creates a social disaster.
Does anything like this happen to you?
MotherHorseEyes
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: People don't understand me when I speak

Postby FreakOfTheDemonDoll » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:30 am

WickedRob wrote:Is it my volume, my pronunciation, do i stutter and mumble, do I have an accent or some speech impediment?
I don't know. All I know is that it's annoying. This combos with my other minor communication problems I have and creates a social disaster.
Does anything like this happen to you?

I hear myself say "bird' but people hear "board."
All my life, I hear things I say right but people say my speech is wrong like they make fun of me and over-exaggerate my speech like I say "er" words and they mock me by switching "er" with "or", it's annoying.
I think it's all just some conspiracy to mock me.
FreakOfTheDemonDoll
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby salted lipstick » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:32 pm

I've had the problem of people not understanding me when I speak also. In my case, I run my words together a fair bit with a fairly strong accent and I don't really talk that loudly so people have interpreted me as mumbling sometimes. In addition to these things, people didn't understand me because I used a lot of slang, so those that had grown up with my background knew what I was talking about but mostly everyone else didn't. I didn't view the slang as slang because to me it was just how people normally spoke until I started to realise that other people didn't know what the words I said meant.

I found a good way to help myself be understood was to practise the pronunciation of the people reading the news. Also, to use the vocabulary of the people around me. And to speak louder and with the words more separated when people said "pardon" or "what" to what I had said earlier.
In a way, I am not defined by my dissociation. In a way, I am.

FORMER admin moderator. For current list please see: forum rules and list of active mods
salted lipstick
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:06 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Chainsaw » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:37 pm

Ask the people who don't understand you, may they could give you some tips?

Maybe you're just shy without being aware of that, which results in speaking not loud enough.
I've never been a nice person!
Chainsaw
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Wally58 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:34 pm

I took choral (singing) and public speaking classes in high school.
It is important to hold your head up to decompress the throat when singing or speaking. The classes also helped my posture and breathing which is also an important part of singing and speaking.
I had a tape recorder and hated hearing my own voice (do I really sound that bad?) and didn't like what I heard back. I was able to practice speaking in private, so as not to be embarrassed by what I heard. I used to practice reading a page from a book, so I could hear how I sounded.
Eye contact can also be important in communication, it means that you have to face the person and facial expressions convey a lot of non-verbal backup to what you are trying to get across.
I am shy and public speaking would scare me. Each one of us had to speak in front of the class which wasn't bad. It did help my confidence level. There were people more frightened than me to speak to the class.
Wally58
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby schitzo1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:31 pm

Sometimes I feel like I am speaking Greek to people. I actually say exactly the thing I mean and I never say what I don't mean. It's like there is this secret fake language that everyone else has and I don't. People say tons of words. They dance around topics in some sort of elaborate charade. When I say something... there have been at least 200 thoughts that go through my mind weighing and balancing and trying to understand the heart of the matter. I don't say anything that I don't thoroughly contemplate first, but everyone else seems to say nothing at all or a whole lot of words that mean nothing at all. I'm usually left confused. Why would you say that? What does it mean in that context? Then when I formulate carefully what I want to say everyone looks at me like I spoke some alien language and they all look uncomfortable and then ignore me and keep jabbering on about #######4. It's extremely frustrating.
schitzo1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby bipolar123 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Maybe you need a speech therapist.
bipolar123
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:36 pm