Our partner

Psych Reluctant to Tell How Many Patients

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderators: Otter, quietgirl2538

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Psych Reluctant to Tell How Many Patients

Postby stickynotes » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:02 am

Hello. Never had a psych before, but as I was initially talking to one on the phone, I asked some simple questions I found online such as "About how many patients are you currently seeing?", and they were reluctant to answer. Is that a bad sign do you think?

(Also, what subforum does this belong in? I couldn't find anything related to general therapy itself rather than a specific disorder)
stickynotes
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:05 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Psych Reluctant to Tell How Many Patients

Postby stickynotes » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:49 pm

Beuler

(mod edit) - the moderator took the above to mean Bueller, as in Ferris Bueller, the film. Wherein there is a scene in which a teacher (played by Ben Stein) repeatedly calls Bueller's name when he is taking attendance. This trope is meant to be used as "anyone"?

I have moved this post to LWMI, in hopes to find a Bueller.
stickynotes
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:05 am

Postby sunshineNrainbows » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:35 am

It could be a bad sign but I wouldn't assume it is. There's just so much it could mean and not mean. For example, maybe he or she feels you may read the wrong thing into the answer, such as by thinking having a large number of patients means being less able to help you or having few patients means not being a good therapist. Maybe there's uncertainty over how many patients he or she currently has because some have been missing appointments for unknown reasons. There is, however, a way to find out if it was really be a bad sign or not: setup and attend some appointments!
sunshineNrainbows
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:05 am
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby WiseMonkey » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:22 pm

It's not a bad sign at all. Therapists aren't obligated to answer this type of question. In fact, it'd be inappropriate for them to answer it, because the number of clients they are seeing has nothing to do with you and your problems that brought you to therapy. This is something completely irrelevant to anything of your concern, and, frankly, I don't understand why you asked that question. What difference does it make for you how many clients he is currently seeing? How is this going to affect you in any way?
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."-Martin Luther King, Jr.
http://therapyconsumerguide.com/
WiseMonkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:05 am

Postby Nyyx » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:34 pm

You will find that most therapists or phydocs do not answer questions that involve their other clients, or any questions directed at their business and social environment.
Some like to maintain firm boundaries where the focus is you not them. And to be honest that's how it should be.

There are plenty who don't fit this mould, plenty who share all sorts and see no problem in doing so.
Just comes down to what your looking for.
I Don't Care What You Think of Me, I Don't Think of You at All.
CoCo Chanel
Nyyx
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:05 pm
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Goodboy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:55 pm

I wouldn't be concerned with number of patients. My old psychiatrist had about 100 as one day I seen his computer and everyone's name as he was updating it. I d be more concerned about service. How easily he or she is able to get a hold of, how often they book appointments, and how long the appointments last.

With him the appointments were very short, he barely asked any questions, and basically let me decide my doses and would book appointments 6 months apart after a few appointments

My new doctor is always intuitive into how I'm doing, adjust medications as needed, is open to suggestions or concerns, books appointments on a regular basis, and the appointments can easily go 30 minutes. It feels like you are well taken care of.
Goodboy
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:05 am

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post