Our partner

My Steve9 on Direct & Vocabulary Instruction Teaching Method

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: Tyler77

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

My Steve9 on Direct & Vocabulary Instruction Teaching Method

Postby steve9 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:01 am

November 11, 2016. ABC television “7.30” PM weekday serious interviewing program showed North Queensland aboriginal leaders (funded by government) attempts to teach literacy skills to young aboriginal children, using what is said to be a USA teaching method called “Direct Instruction”. The “7.30” program story was more about financial misappropriation.

I provided three website attachment readings for reading at readers discretion.

Attachment #1:
http://theconversation.com/direct-instr ... ding-29157

Attachment #2
http://www.aare.edu.au/blog/?p=439
Moving down attachment #2 to two paragraphs under:
“Does DI improve students’ achievement and participation levels?” to read ideas that year 3 student test scores may show benefits, thereafter in higher primary school classes, students “wash out”. I suggest there is some vague recognition that teachers using selective teaching methods, mentioned methods damages students long term learning abilities.

Attachment #3
http://www.evidencebasedteaching.org.au ... cts-myths/

I Googled: “direct instruction youtude” to watch Youtube streaming on first search page.
I watched many mentioned Direct, sometimes called Explicit and Vocabulary Instruction methods on first search page Youtube streaming. I noticed teachers addressing young aged children as young as aged 6 and 7 years. A Direct Instruction method female teacher was addressing a class of up to aged 10 years children, one female teacher was beating what could be seen as a large pen as though children repeated what she was saying, being read from a book, children keeping up with female teacher's rather speedy pace of reading. Another female teacher was addressing children keeping children reading out in sequence. Mentioned young children were not noticeably enjoying the experience. I question how long children could keep up with teachers demands for children's continued attention without children becoming mentally exhausted leading to increasing mental stress traumas. The practice of stressful learning becoming repressed memorising behaviours.
Below, I have attached a number of Youtube attachments for readers viewing examination.
Watching young teenagers being addressed on below attachment #8 by a female teacher using a Power Point presentation, female teacher's lecturing selected words in dictionary usage. Teenagers seen seated in classroom, not being able to see teenagers faces, I assume teenagers were bored and/or chemically out of balance, under some drowsy/mentally exhausted, uninterested state, somewhat lounging on desks, barely responding to the enthusiastic female teacher's requests for responding recognition. The age of teenagers seated in the classroom I believe were too old to be lectured on mentioned words, that students would have been better off reading such ideas from book assignments. I'm going to say because these teenagers are so chemically out of balance, teachers are having to verbally drive into teenagers, word meanings merely to ensure ideas were communicated to teenagers, probably for a future known question test requirement.

I can't say whether young primary school students were being allowed by teachers to enjoy the learning experience. Children stuck in classrooms, undergoing many hours of focused attention to teachers words, I strongly suggest will lead many if not all children to become mentally stressed, resulting in traumatising memories, traumatising learning behaviours. When children's learning experiences are traumatised by teachers many hours of forced attention on teachers instructions, children will lose self-programming incentives to want to learn anything other than what teachers force children to learn. Children feeling gradual increasing traumas, fears of teachers more demands for focused attention, whether mental trauma pain induces endorphins to medicate traumas, unbalancing brain chemicals, creating long term, older children and teenager inducing endorphin problem addiction behaviours should be a debatable discussion. Another concern should be how children's needs for constant attention on teachers words conditions children's brains not to think independent thoughts, constantly trying not to daydream as though daydreaming was a bad thing, turning brains into non-thinking zombies. Add, to not wanting to daydream, thought trauma fears, guides emotional responses away from complex thoughts, leading child brains into Neanderthal behaviours. That the most intelligent responses being learnt is more “listen and remember” rather than think. Media's irrelevant political scandals becomes realistic to listen to, based on repetitive easy to understand meanings. While, many adults during conversations are constantly interrupting whoever maybe speaking. Children turning to sports because children playing sports don't need to listen to verbally spoken words, nor are asked to verbally reply to teachers demands. Childhood school lessons guide children towards Neanderthal sports behaviours, rather than children chose of their own independent decisions to play one off selective sports.

For many Neanderthal behaviours, many people complain about carried out by poor skilled repressed thinkers: bullying; narcissism; etc... I accuse on childhood repressed thought, demanded from education departments for teachers to focus children's attention on teachers lessons. Human bipolar fun repressed anger issues and other mental illness issues derives from human childhood's difficulties in keeping up with teacher word meaning sentences... that male violence against women by all social classes, leads back to female school teachers and mothers insisting male children do their homework.

By the time children become teenagers, teenagers are constantly repressing anything that feels like learning. Language skills are simplified, phrases become short, devoted to limited simplistic thought. Fun, limited verbal response hyperactive behaviours, physical movement, anything that has little to do with academia. Teenagers maybe capable of reading, spelling and placing fancy words into sentences when desired, yet cannot formulate independent from mainstream culture, complex thought.

Teachers seem to be more concerned about fulfilling their employment tasks, rather than the mental health and happiness of their students. Education departments set teacher performance goals, teachers are teaching to limited need for complex thought curriculum tests.

I heard during a serious panel conversation program “The Drum”, attachment #9 seen below, a guest primary school teacher was leaving the teaching profession because she couldn't keep doing what the education department asked of her, that because not all young children were equally capable, she was asking children to do things certain children weren't capable of understanding. The program began with statements on recent stated statistics, indicating half USA teachers quit in their first 5 years. Rural Australian teachers leave the teaching profession within their first 5 years of teaching. My point is that many teachers are dissatisfied with how children are being taught, leaving the teaching profession accordingly. Remaining teachers are pushing children to fulfil test requirement scores, at the expense of the mental heath of their students. The more children are pushed to their limits the stupider (by repressed thought traumas) children become, making memory learning more difficult as years continue, “Wash Out” primary school students. The comment “wash out” may have been meant to indicate brain washed, to be obedient to authority, to believe what citizens are told, that human brains intellectual intelligence are washed away.

Attachment #4 & 5 Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cwODCQ9BnU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJJkkUPC_yM

Attachment #6 & 7 Primary school Vocabulary Instruction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr7yRYegjb8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDNhwYjDOsU

Attachment #8 high school Vocabulary Instruction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC0HNtvxuRg

Attachment #9 The Drum:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-16/t ... 16/7854134

On the above reading attachments #1,2,3, particularly attachment #2, the intellectual argument that maybe going on between education experts to my argument is clouding up students long term mental health and whether children really need to read at an early age. One common concern is the speed and efficiency students take up reading and maths. Information that states primary schooling shows literacy gains, students show problem issues with comprehension and language skills.
Not mentioned in such readings are issues with children being diagnosed with mental depression, ADHD and ODD placed together in the same sentences as school education, to my research such readings are rare. Diagnoses of ADHD can be found, that learning problems increase when under behavioural influences of ADHD.
http://raisingchildren.net.au/articles/adhd.html

My argument is that before children can mature emotional self-programming learning behaviours leading to youthful aged intelligent behaviours... before children can determine how better to learn how to read, while children are still submitting to adult supervision, children are allowing themselves to be traumatised by school teachers. The process can be compared to the science experiment, slowly boiling a fog in water. Children may notice how they feel bad day after day, yet depend on their parents to know what's good for them.
As children are diagnosed with mental depression, ADHD and ODD, educated medical professionals diagnoses fails to accuse classroom education as a cause nor suggest children will self-program anti-intellectual behaviours into learning behaviours. Citizenry's trust in political established and media correctly telling citizenry when something is wrong, are I strongly argue citizenry beliefs are misguided. That such misguided beliefs are easy no need to worry and to believe otherwise causes increased worrying painful depressing thought.

…...........................

Another not mentioned teaching method nor have I found on Youtube streaming is thereabouts year 3 teacher Q&A games.
My steve9 year 3 class memories going back to the 1960s, were that my teacher during many mornings, asked students many trivial knowledge questions. To my memory, class students were very enthusiastic about playing the Q&A game. I never participated, I never put my hand up to answer a question, because I didn't care to be embarrassed answering teacher's questions incorrectly.
Students self-repressing creative thought by mentioned above learning traumas, plus teachers tell students not to talk each other while in classrooms. Students enthusiasm in answering teachers trivial knowledge and curriculum base questions, messes with endorphins chemical rewards, messing with emotional decision making self-programming.
When mentally ill problematic people are asked to be calm, not to overstimulate, to medicate mental issue problems, this teacher Q&A game I accuse would be “partly” responsible.
The type of unproven information being used to play Q&A games can be learnt with naive self-induced beliefs, fuelled by anticipation of getting learnt knowledge questions correct, allowing unproven to be true information to be believed as truth.

My argument here is that children should not attempt to (aided by stimulation) force themselves to learn information at an early age. Information can be useful as well as misleading and destructive, exampling extreme religions. Intellectuals may say “one of the worst things is religious extremism”.
Children are self-programming emotionally rewarding self-gratifying. Children can be persuaded to believe in extreme socially inappropriate beliefs if by perceived (group thought) popular reasoning, extreme thoughts are appreciated by authority figure leaders. Religions themselves may not be extreme, yet individual perceptions can drive extreme thoughts. Adults under the influence of childhood emotional self-programming may program themselves into extremist thoughts to induce stimulative (year 3 Q&A enthusiastic) rewards. Placing many mentally stressed and bored humans susceptible to emotional enthusiastic rewards self-programming, hyped enthusiasm compels strong beliefs. Children playing year 3 teacher Q&A games, on correctly knowing trivial information, asked by a teacher or not, many children tell themselves how smart they are, instantly rewarding themselves with endorphins stimuli, childhood emotional self-programming, rewards what feels good is true.

I'm saying this need to feel correct' stimulation year 3 Q&A enthusiasm messes with human intelligence. That even the speed in which teachers require answers effects how humans react in society and the type of solutions require to solve day to day problems. Humans constantly wanting to feel correct easily assuming what feels good must be believed as true. What's true is often the simplest one and two word answers. Language skills degrade, thought processes shorten.
As students practice denial when answers are found to be incorrect, the feeling of embarrassment instinctive fear to flight behaviours, persuade students to quickly ignore being incorrect, to then move onto the next teacher question.
The entire childhood learning process of feeling good is true and feeling bad is false, becomes altered by extreme desires to feel good, to ignore false perceptions.
Enthusiasm chemical rewards, depletes limited endorphins, increasing feelings of depression. Children develop behaviours to feel rewarded by incorrectly assuming what unproven ideas as true to increase stimuli intelligent beliefs. When ideas are proven to fail, year 3 Q&A games practised denial, persuades embarrassment feelings to quickly disappear. Human behaviours may favour believing difficult to prove incorrect religion and behind closed doors politics. The many years of increasing school work task stress and boredom increased need for self-medication, year 3 Q&A game tactics continue unless some rationalised common sense degree of correction takes place.

Children are feeling intelligent for partaking in little more than answering teachers memorised trivial questions.
Teenagers and adults who suffer from various psychological problems are often asked to keep themselves calm. Having previously typed a reading on endorphins, how limited supplies of pituitary gland produced endorphins (a combination of pain relieving chemicals) are used up too quickly, leaving brains with symptoms of depression.
living-with-mental-illness/topic187100.htm

Five school days a week of children enthusiastic participation in teachers lessons may over a short term, reward children's reading and maths skills. Yet, eventually to a percentage of children, after the novelty wears off, depleted/depressed endorphins leads children to ADHD behaviours. Hyperactivity distractions persuade children to focus attention on physical movement rather than intellectual calm behaviours, leading to sports activities. Add, year 3 children after morning Q&A sessions, children spending launch periods playing sports and/or running around in playgrounds under the influence of Q&A induced endorphins stimuli rewards.
ADHD learning disability behaviours are not discriminating between school work and outside of school non-academic learning. Children fail to mature into better behaving more responsible teenagers.
Teenagers can't think to mature decision making skills due to short attention span's need to feel good quick rewards and ADHD learning disability behaviours, exampling Mr T's “World's Craziest Fools”.
Teaching methods promote the benefits of early reading and maths skills, yet, teenagers comprehension skills are being limited to Harry Potter no relevant information to real life story books. Moby Dick and other classic readings are forced upon children as though reading such information improved some unknown knowledgeable value. I suggest old readings were meant to punish children's curiosity.
Allowing children to read at such emotional decision making youthful ages, allows societies irrelevant reading material to hijack children visually proven “good emotional balance” common sense experiences. Young children depressed and/or doped up with endorphins finds humour in other people's misfortunes, messes with mature decision making thoughts self-programming. Seeing is believing, reading is believing what's being read merely because children don't know any better.
I state the problem with reading at too earlier an age is that children feel everything is true, merely because what maybe being read doesn't feel incorrect. Hearing and/or reading particular information may in ways gratify childhood emotions, in that because emotions feel as though simple messages are understood, messages are true, when messages are in reality, lies. A healthy intelligent child would be a child who has no fixed beliefs, leaving future beliefs until emotions are least effecting true or false decisions.
Citizens may look to their country politicians for good leadership qualities, yet I suggest politicians who began their education at too earlier an age, may have fixed child-like beliefs influencing many of their decisions. Pride usually influences whether people can change their beliefs and decisions when relevant circumstances change.

My opinion is that all ages up to 9 years children cannot undergo intense rigger for any length of time. That more mature aged 10 years and above children will complain at incorrect learning tactics.
Teachers hurrying children to know what children are seeing even though information are simple spelling words and/or number calculations: hurries chemical rewarding incentives to know, to assume rather than to take extra time to confirm true meaning self-programmed behaviours; individual words and calculations will be rushed into neuron connection memories. Neuron connections take a period of thought to be held as long term memories. Teachers will need to repeat the same words and calculations several times. Children will either make new neuron connections and/or search memories to confirm existing hurried memories, reinforcing previous hurried memories. The learning process is all very hurried and all very mentally stressful to merely learn how to read, spell and perform basic maths calculations.

I theorise this “Direct Teaching” method and other fast moving stimulating learning methods are more about military authority obedience conditioning. Parade ground drill sergeants marching soldiers on parade grounds, forcing soldiers to keep instep, turn right or left at any given moment, has similarities to a teacher standing in front of a class of children instructing children what to believe, to be tested and graded on believing what students are told. Often changing curriculum subjects, introducing different names of what maybe mentioned. Hurrying represses student’s willingness to spend time thinking. Children hurrying while multi-tasking reduces memory function conditioned behaviours. Children will feel everything has to be hurried. Forcing young children to perform fast actions as children were proficient functioning adults, gaps in performance lead to lifelong inaccurate behaviours. The need to second think for better results has few incentives when daily classroom tasks are repeated day after day seemly never ending. Believing and acting on emotionally reinforced beliefs without thought is the stuff bullies are made from. Obeying authority commands, sending men into battle with little chance of survival on the idea of defending democracy? You can't have true democracies unless societies have intelligent thinking citizenry.

Learning to read is a matter of phonics, learning sounds of letters, groups of letters and exceptions to the rules. Young children shown how to read, children working out newly seen words using sounds and exceptions to the rules, children's individual capable memory ability, calm children should in time become good readers. If children find reading difficult, than more time should be given to children to read over longer periods. Reading is best learnt and remembered while memories are calm. Short periods spent reading, being careful not to turn reading into punishment periods.
Remembering what’s been read is best realised by individual readers. Reading pointless readings similar to watching pointless movies, nothing worth remembering merely has words passing through memories with no real gratifying reason to remember. I suggest young children should not spend any significant time reading pointless information, which most book reading information is pointless propaganda and simple to understand competitive rubbish.

I am saying that classroom education has little to do with learning academic knowledge: comprehending complex information; maths; science; intellectual thought. To disseminate meanings of stories, students are fed stories containing no better meaningful ideas than Harry Potter books. Classroom schooling has more to do with controlling working class beliefs based on hurried gratification, fear fight and flight. Conditioning future citizens to believe what their told, responding instantly to years of media prompted judgements.

Children need to learn at their own emotional self-programming ability to remember. Emotional self-programming fears of realising unclear memories, given time, calm human emotional and/or developed rational intelligence will direct better memory responding abilities. I strongly suggest, classroom teachers are instructed by education department teaching colleges to hurry the learning process to prevent what was previously just mentioned. My assertion is the resulting human mental stress will cause learning processes to experience: mental depression anti-social bipolar behaviours; self-medicating drug abuse; constant distraction from individual intellectual thought behaviours.

Children being held into classroom and playground settings, visual images are limited to human faces. Merely looking at human faces limits imaginative thought. If well behaved children are held with difficult to manage children, children's incentive to learn simple ideas, battling boredom, wanting to participate, not to be left out, will follow group thought, that being good or bad. To be accepted as part of a group, rewards whatever behaviours are being gratified. If by having an individual intellectual thought presented to a group, a group's sudden awareness of unknown information, to be learning something new as felt inside classrooms, confusing collective group thought, rejecting individual intellectual thought, rejection will punish future incentives to think intellectual thoughts. Collective groups repress individual creativity, in doing so represses complex conceptual verbal conversation. Group thought can actually become dumber as human behaviour within groups directs attentions to sports visual imagery common gratification. Year 3 Q&A enthusiasm childhood classroom group thought competitive stimulative rewards are felt.
Sending aged 5 years children to school before children can correctly mature judgemental responses, classroom and playground culture can guide human long term behaviours on a simple self-gratifying pathway reinforced by simple common group-thought pathways. As years of self-gratifying group-thought excepted poor behaviours continues, correcting poor behaviour becomes difficult.

Children are not so much taught what to think instead taught not to think, follow the rules, do as you’re told. Much of what media presents to listeners have little to do with individuals everyday behaviours. Politics are often about money, politicians embarrassing whatever, immigration and foreign affairs. Such topics steals away incentive for intellectual points of view. Often media interviewed experts talk in a way that listeners are left without knowing anything.

Mental illnesses; suicide; family violence, media news are little more than awareness, rather than defining solutions. I am saying, generations of early aged school education long hours of bad' teacher face to student face teaching is the main contributor to mental illnesses. That citizenry mental illnesses allows society to run as establishment sees fit, to as well to benefit the wealth and security of the people in control.

I suggest learning knowledge while under the influence of mental stress, both information and mental stress become complete memories. That the similarity with internal voice remembering both knowledge and mental stress, closely compares to that of individual intellectual thought. Events that cause individuals to prompt solutions outside normal cultural beliefs and behaviours, tend to trigger school years repressed mental depression pretend thought learning memories, often made worse by disappointing down side causes prompting needed solutions.
Childhood confined in classrooms limited access to changing circumstances, limits experiencing the simplest problem solving thoughts.
Could be said that playground bullies toughen up physically weak children. Bullies create problems physically weak children spend time thinking up management solutions. That doesn't mean I believe bullies are a good thing, yet solving problems, creates new neuron pathways. Young children should be more into board games, my favourite “Chess” and snooker and/or pool, figuring out how to achieve high score breaks.
steve9
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:26 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post