Our partner

I believe I have been misdiagnosed with BPD

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: Tyler77

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

I believe I have been misdiagnosed with BPD

Postby pinkrose33 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:20 am

I have had this diagnosis since I was 23 (now 26) but do not believe I have it. I oppose the diagnosis becauseI have no fear of abandonment, I have never cut myself or attempted suicide, I do not have dramatic "shifts" in my identity or "splitting", I am not impulsive, I do not cut myself.

You may ask "then how did you get this diagnosis"? well I got it after multiple short stays in an emergency mental health unit in 2013 after constantly threatening suicide for weeks. I also have no friends or no job and live at home so they naturally assumed from this it was all borderline. But this is really not the case. I am on disability and have a previous diagnosis of an ASD (autism spectrum) and have also been sick. They did not even take my ASD into consideration before slapping me with this other label.
pinkrose33
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I believe I have been misdiagnosed with BPD

Postby z7z » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:16 pm

BPD and Bipolar are sometimes misdiagnosed:
http://www.currentpsychiatry.com/home/a ... 79676.html
The diagnosis is not as crucial as treating your symptoms so that you can live a more normal life.
Disclaimer: Nobody knows nothing
z7z
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Chainsaw » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:38 pm

pinkrose33 wrote:I am on disability and have a previous diagnosis of an ASD (autism spectrum) and have also been sick. They did not even take my ASD into consideration before slapping me with this other label.

I live in the Netherlands, and it's fact here that people, mostly women, who actually have an autisme spectrum disorder are diagnosed with borderline while that isn't the case. All you can hope for is a therapist who will treat your symptoms and suicidal tendencies instead of only seeking for a diagnosis.
Don't ask me for warmth: I will burn down your house :)
Chainsaw
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon May 01, 2017 3:33 am
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby Lanny Heck » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:49 am

It is always best to get a second or even third opinion on such a diagnosis.
Lanny Heck
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon May 01, 2017 2:33 am

Postby Auxiliary11 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:00 pm

Don't take this the wrong way but, do you think you have any measure of Narcissism? Fragile narcissism is similar in some ways to BPD: https://luckyottershaven.com/2015/08/02 ... m-and-bpd/
self dx. pdd-nos (level 1); covert narcissism w/ avoidant traits; social phobia; inertia.

INFP; dismissive/fearful-avoidant & highly sensitive person

"Life, a sexually transmitted, terminal disease."
"you built up a world of magic, because your real life is tragic"
Auxiliary11
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon May 01, 2017 2:33 am

Postby peasantgirl » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:01 pm

Auxiliary11 wrote:Don't take this the wrong way but, do you think you have any measure of Narcissism? Fragile narcissism is similar in some ways to BPD: https://luckyottershaven.com/2015/08/02 ... m-and-bpd/

Thank you for that link, I found it very educational. I, too, have been dx BPD but it never felt like quite the right fit (no self-harm, no fear of abandonment, etc). They say a narc would never wonder if they were a narc. True or not, you've given me a lot to think about.
peasantgirl
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum