Our partner

Interacting with characters in my head?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: Otter

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Interacting with characters in my head?

Postby bloodynora » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:19 am

Long story short, dxed with MDD, but only recently decided to go cold turkey on all of my antidepressants as i felt that while they helped me to be somewhat functional, they were not leading me to recovery since i had continuous meltdowns every month or so (it's a cycle).

Anyway, i have characters in my head. 4 distinct characters, to be precise. I made a forest for them to live in and if i concentrate hard enough i can feel where they are and call them or ask for advice or manifest them.

One of them has been yelling at me and going on and on about me not taking my medication on a daily basis and it's driving me nuts. She is incredibly pissed at me for my poor decision making skills. I do not recall their presence being so "strong" as compared to when i was on the antidepressants. I was aware of them, but they didn't bother me as much. Can't say the same now though.

I do not get to see my psych until a month later or so, so that kind of goes down the hatch.

Would be nice if people could direct me to the right forum cos i'm not too sure this falls under, but yeah i understand that you're not allowed to diagnose people as per the rules.

Just wondering if anyone has a similar experience and would like to share on how to cope with these characters. I know that the one who is angry at me at the moment would probably calm down once i start taking my meds again, but being the stubborn person i am, i don't want to take it because i know that it isn't helping much.
bloodynora
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Interacting with characters in my head?

Postby Una+ » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:07 pm

Where to go? Well...

An estimated 15% of the general population hears voices. Most have no apparent mental health problem. If there is a Hearing Voices Network group near you, that might be worth looking into. Or you could check out some of the forums on this website, and see if any threads there resonate with you.

A majority of persons with schizophrenia hear voices. And even more persons with DID hear voices. Voice hearing is pretty common also in OCD, MDD (your diagnosis, right?), Parkinsons... And so on. So you'll find others who have similar experiences in forums devoted to those conditions.
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 pm

Postby Smiggles » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:29 am

Sounds a lot like psychosis, auditory hallucinations are common in disorders of that spectrum.

But as Una stated, auditory hallucinations do not always equate to psychiatric disorders.
*Won't be very active over the next 3 weeks*

There's no such thing as true good or true evil, its all relative to the observer.

My previous username is Corgis.
Smiggles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 pm

Postby bloodynora » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:51 pm

thanks for the input guys.

psych appointment is in 3weeks so i just have to hang in there till then.
bloodynora
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am

Postby Smiggles » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:55 pm

Best of luck, let us know how you get on if you wish to. :)
*Won't be very active over the next 3 weeks*

There's no such thing as true good or true evil, its all relative to the observer.

My previous username is Corgis.
Smiggles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 pm

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post