Our partner

How often do you meet up with your psychologist/therapist?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderators: masquerade, Otter, sabrdawg

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

How often do you meet up with your psychologist/therapist?

Postby SapphireSin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:33 am

Hey, everyone,
I'm just wondering how often you meet up with your psychologist, therapist, counselor, psychiatrist, or whomever it is you're seeing. Does it depend upon your condition?
I just want to get a general idea because I will be getting help soon.

Thanks
she believed she could, so she did
SapphireSin
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:40 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How often do you meet up with your psychologist/therapis

Postby sabrdawg » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:21 pm

The rule of thumb is usually once per month if taking a controlled substance, as the maximum supply of such is 30 days, and if not, then it is usually at the discretion of you and your doctor. I go monthly because I take Adderall. I work with people who go every three months because they are on non-controlled substances and they and their doctor have determined that they are maintaining well. What are you seeking help for, exactly?
Normal is overrated :D
sabrdawg
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:40 pm

Postby cloudyday » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:17 pm

One of the members on this forum suggested to me that weekly is better for psychotherapy, because the frequency helps you stay focused.
cloudyday
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:40 pm

Postby sleeper^ » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:55 pm

Depends on how you really are coping right now?
A therapist
1) Yes might need to be seen each week firstly for in depth analysis of what are the 'REAL" underlying issues/ behaviors needing change / & for you to be coping better with ?
( as they need to be discovered / then analysis ed / & then started to be worked with then tog)

2) A person needs to have a safe place to open up in & for there to be consistency (eg- weekly at first) , for the actual then development of a good working prof relationship to develop then of help & change for the person
3) Deep therapy might also need to occur ( & this takes longer & can go on for awhile or even years depending upon the level of actual damage done /& issues that need to be talked through & for behaviors to be changed also if necessary & possible

4 ) It will also depend upon what needs to occur for the person ( eg- is it just therapy maintenance ?
( where you might have already been through therapy/ changed what you needed & learn t new skills / learn t about your triggers / & deeper pathways of any misguided/ or twisted thoughts
which have then been adapted to be better functioning for you so u cope better with every day life & events occurring or are you needing to start right from the scratch with therapy ( a beginner will then need to work to then get to the just maintenance spot) ..

5) So it will also depend upon what also needs to done in therapy ?
( just to learn a new skill set? or to do deep therapy long term ? or to just talk through a few current issues that might be bothering you ? or will it be to get medication / & dosing levels done to make you more balance with thoughts / mood & behavior ?)
sleeper^
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:40 am

Postby sabrdawg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:56 pm

My bad, I thought this was asking about a psychiatrist.
Normal is overrated :D
sabrdawg

Local time: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:40 pm

Postby gf77 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:02 pm

At the moment, psychiatrist every 4 weeks and psychologist every 3 weeks. Could do with more often though..
BPD and anxiety.
Completed CBD and DBT, soon starting CAT.
Currently taking 375mg venlafaxine, 250mg depakote, 100mg seroquel, 2mg lorazepam.
Any questions just ask :)
gf77
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:40 am

Postby MyLove » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:12 am

I see my psychiatrist every two weeks and have for about 5 years now. When I'm in a crisis state I see him more often and at my best I was seeing him once a month.
“I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
MyLove
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post