Our partner

Waking Up In Middle Of Night With Intrusive Thoughts

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderators: masquerade, Otter, sabrdawg

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Waking Up In Middle Of Night With Intrusive Thoughts

Postby iTz_DaNNy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:14 am

I wake up in the middle of the night several times in the night worried I've done something terrible (even though I have no memory of it). Is this actually possible to happen? Its very worrying.

Please reply. I'm a teenage male.
iTz_DaNNy
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:39 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Waking Up In Middle Of Night With Intrusive Thoughts

Postby salted lipstick » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:01 pm

I'm confused. Are you saying you are worried you've done something terrible during the night? Or that you are worried you have done something terrible at some other stage? and then not remember it...

Dissociation can cause amnesia for certain events. But the ability to dissociate develops initially in response to something a child can't handle mentally, like abuse or something else.

I'm not sure if there are other reasons people could forget stuff they've done. What are you worried you might have done?
Forum Rules
^^ Read these. We don't delete posts at request.

Dx DID
salted lipstick
Site Admin

Local time: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:09 am

Postby iTz_DaNNy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Worried that I've done something harmful or even lethal to my family. I've woke up worried that I ccant hear them moving sometimes, and have woke up shaking uncontrollably.

-- Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:15 pm --

Also worried I may of done it in the same night.
iTz_DaNNy
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby salted lipstick » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:33 pm

What makes you worried you might have done something to your family? Do you think you would be capable of that?

Have you looked into information about OCD or night terrors? Maybe learning something about these things, you might be able to relate to something and feel reassured that probably nothing bad has happened in reality...
Forum Rules

Dx DID
salted lipstick
Site Admin

Postby iTz_DaNNy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:45 pm

I don't think I would be capable, I would stop myself. But what if I didn't know what I was doing (sleepwalking). I'll have a look at those other things later thanks a lot :)
iTz_DaNNy
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby salted lipstick » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:57 pm

I think maybe finding out more about your concerns like sleepwalking could help you worry less that you would do that sort of thing. I think if you haven't previously hurt your family during your sleep, it's probably relatively safe to say that it's fairly unlikely to happen.

You could read more about statistics of people who've hurt their families while sleepwalking, I wouldn't think it would be loads common. If you were still worried, you could learn about the signs of sleepwalking once you are awake again and see if you've done any of those things. If you haven't, I'd say you don't have much cause to be concerned. Most people don't sleepwalk anyway because when you are asleep, something in your brain causes you to become immobilised, this is part of the natural sleep process to protect against injuring yourself while sleeping by reacting to dreams.
Forum Rules

Dx DID
salted lipstick
Site Admin

Postby iTz_DaNNy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:23 pm

I think it's probably just intrusive thoughts when I've got to bed worrying. I'll see how things go tonight, but at least if I do wake up I have that reassurance that everything is most likely ok. :)
iTz_DaNNy
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post