Our partner

What's the coolest mental illness/personality disorder?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: Otter

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Postby element » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:23 am

I don't think mental illness is cool at all. That's like asking is it cooler to have cancer or aids...hmm....??

The only reason I ever "wanted" to have it was because I wanted some explanation for being so screwed up, and at times I think it would be easier to blame it on illness than just blaming it on myself. But I don't really want a mental illness. That would suck. I just want to be more normal and it would be nice to have some kind of explanation for the things that I do. But when I really think about it, I don't think there is a good explanation, and even if there was, I don't see how it could really help, because I'm gonna dislike myself reguardless of what's wrong with me or what I can or can't help.
element
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby jims » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:57 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "cool." However, I think the happiest times in my life by far were when I was in the mania phase of bipolar. However, the mania stage eventually turns into the opposite--depression and maybe sucide attemts.

My pet theory is that bipolar is hard to control because deep down no one would want to get rid of the highs. It gets to be that one month of being in heaven or being Jesus is worth a lifetime of suffering with the effects of the disease.

When I gave up having a desire to be high, my moods moderated.

Jim S
jims
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 pm

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:39 pm

yes cool, if anguish and absolute mental torment are cool, if lack of control of your own thoughts and impulses and emotions is cool, if never being able to fully appreciate life just in a normal sense, where a day is just a day, life is just life, problems are just problems, if that’s cool, if being filled with so much pain that crying wrenching tears is a daily occurrence, if suicide seems like a light instead of dark abyss, then yeah, its pretty cool

good question

Postby arkham » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:22 am

Very good question!! (top post) and very interesting subject... Guest who started this thread - you asked something that I've wanted to ask for a long time but haven't been brave enough to! Do you have an account? - it'd be cool to pm you.

There are ppl who actually do have a disorder and wouldn't want to give them up, like some personality disorders and some ppl with the manic stage of bipolar, like said above. So wanting a disorder doesn't necessarily mean you don't know what it's like - because there can be good parts in some disorders.

I for one have some things that are no fun at all (anxiety) but also have something that I wouldn't give up for the world - my personality, or i guess, personality disorder :) Sad? Probably - but that's the way I feel - and it seems like a couple other ppl do on this thread too. Thanks for making me not feel alone in my weirdness!
arkham
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

Postby emmacarrie (emmsypoo) » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:21 pm

hey everyone its emmsypoo i got lazy n didit sign in but it is me!! I just want to say that "and think they were so hot because their illness was "real", not like some weak depression" how exactly is depression weak? It isnt i dont get that!! There is nothing "cool" about having a personality disorder or anything and that is obviously attention seeking behaviour if anyone thinks it is!! There is nothing wrong with it either dont get me wrong i dont think anything less of people with them (like me) i just wouldnt brag that it is cool to be mentally ill cause well it isnt!!! No offence to anyone!!!
emmacarrie (emmsypoo)

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:16 pm

There is no such thing as a cool disorder...
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

Re: What's the coolest mental illness/personality disorder?

Postby DustinS » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:06 am

Anonymous wrote:What do you think is the coolest mental illness/personality disorder to have? At the moment, it seems sociopathy/psychopathy is IN right now, it's the kool trend. Eveyrone wants to be a sociopath, and will go to extreme anti-social lengtsh such as squashing ants to prove they are one of these special, unique humanoids. Bipolar is pretty kool as well, cos its like having the devil and jesus inside you. Narcissism is alright, but not as cool as sociopaths since narcissists have a concsience, and that is a weakness.

I wanna be a pyscho killer. :D

NO DISORDER IS COOL!!!!!!!!!!!IT ALWAYS EFFECTS SOMEONE IN A NEGATIVE WAY EVEN SOCIOPATHS!!!!!THESE ARE PROBLEMS NOT GOOD THINGS STOP THINKING THESE THINGS ARE GOOD!!!!!!i am not being mean but it isn't cool no matter what it is........
DustinS
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

Postby DustinS » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:14 am

Anonymous wrote:yes cool, if anguish and absolute mental torment are cool, if lack of control of your own thoughts and impulses and emotions is cool, if never being able to fully appreciate life just in a normal sense, where a day is just a day, life is just life, problems are just problems, if that’s cool, if being filled with so much pain that crying wrenching tears is a daily occurrence, if suicide seems like a light instead of dark abyss, then yeah, its pretty cool

This guy has got a great point or gal..........
DustinS
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:36 pm

If you want to stand out, mental dissorder is not a good thing becasue already 1 in 4 got it. So, again you would be pretty average. Your fantazy and reality about it are very different. Many people voluntiered for Vietnam war believing they will enjoy and become heros. But when they arrived there they $#%^ them selves, regreating the poor choice all their lives. If you come in my world in sch, the first thing you are gonna say is ' mumy take me out of here.'

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:55 pm

and, of course you would appologise to every single ant you see, no metter if its real or not. You see, my mum can't take me out of here because she is a part of my distorted reality. Even when she cries for me, I believe her tears are poisen and her breast fiding has contamineted me with evel. And worst of all I tell her all that.

PreviousNext

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post