Our partner

School labeld... question...

Learning Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

School labeld... question...

Postby SilentStar19 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:40 am

Since I was about 10yr in school I was labled with a "learning disablity" ... They never said if there was any certain kind or anything. And I'm in my senior year of high school, and this is my first year to be out of special ed, they also put me in AP English.. which this is my hardest most stressful year of school. My life has been full of labels... But they never have been able to say what exactly I have... They say one thing, then give me meds, and it only does really bad things... Like when I was about 5yr they said I had ADD, and gave me Ridaline, and I ended up crying day and night for 3 weeks strait, and they took me off of it, and redianosed me with something else. But anyways, What exactly is a Learning disablity? and how do they come to say that someone is that?
SilentStar19
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby AdultwithLD » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:32 pm

Hey, I am adult with a learning dissorder. They had labeled me as ADD to when I was five. I did not realy find out exactly how my dissablity affect me untill I was in college. Congrats on getting into an AP class, somthing I dreamed when I was in a freshmen in highschool. Just contuniue to work hard. I can tell you it is possiable to have a Learning Disorder NOS (not otherwise specified). I just think the public school system still has a lot to learn about learning dissablity. Grow to learn what your changgles are and what you can do. Also I adivice talking to Equal Acess consuler at college. As to how do they say some comes with that it is with testing. Go to the library and rent "How difficult can this be? The F.A.T. City workshop" you might be suprise at how this fits you. I cannot tell you rather or not you have one as I am not a psycriost, and not enough infromaiton in your post.

ps. Since you are in AP English sorry for grammer, spelling and word choice. lol.
AdultwithLD
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 pm

Postby SilentStar19 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:37 am

Thank you :)
And I'll check that out at the library too.
It is also fine about your grammar, and words ;)
I'm horrible at it myself.. but I'm learning. lol
Once again, Thank you so much for replying :)
SilentStar19
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm

learning disorder

Postby alycorn » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:26 pm

hey,
I was diagnosed with gross and fine motors disabilities when I was about 3 years old. By the time I was ready for school, I was identified as only fine motors disability. I also have slight memory problems and some slight processing difficulties. Nothing easily identified, just annoying problems. I was in the 'resource' room K-8, and because of that labeled as 'special' and therefore missed out on the gifted and talented program at my school and suffered a lot of social stigma. By the same token, I probably wouldn't have been allowed to graduate the lower grades without that acknowledgement because I could not write very legibly, and was relatively incompetent with writing in cursive and other such 'simple' tasks. Nevermind that Iwas in the most advanced reading level with the G & T students and other such things. Schools are not prepared for intelligent children with learning disabilities, even though most of the most intelligent people in history have had huge idosyncracies. I started typing notes on a small laptop when I was in fourth grade or so, and that worked wonders for me school-wise(but not socially) - I graduated from high school with decent grades and as a commended students on the PSAT and impressively high SAT scores. I got into a very good college, had my learning disabilities diagnosed and recomended treatments written up (usage of a computer and extra time on tests) and I was able to get those allowances throughout college. At the time I stuck out a bit by using a laptop in class, but I know that in some schools its a very common thing now. I graduated years ago, and have now switched fields and started my own business. I am doing well and not letting my disability bother me. If you have insurance, get your parents to have you tested by a professional and have them write up recomendations for the adjustments you need made for your sake.
Also, look into the colleges youare considering. There are books out there about colleges with good and bad records for working with students with learning disabilities. My college, Lawrence University, was very decent about it, but my younger sister, who has a head injury, had severe issues with Bryn Mwar about her accomadations and also had trouble with the community college.
I'm currently trying to help my fiance to get his education - he dropped out of high school in part because nobody ever acknowledged his learning disabilities(he at least has dyslexia and ADD), and he was emotionally abused as a child. He and I are working through the emotional and educational tangle he's been in and are now working to create his own business for him while he continues to earn enough for us to stay afloat(I'm disabled and on a low income- if I earn too much I lose my benefits), and while we try to get his disabilities acknowledged and get him educated to the point where he can at least take college courses. He's very intelligent and would like to take classes, though doesn't particularly care about a degree.
We're taking on a lot, but that seems to be how I go through life - taking on a lot and just not letting go until its taken care of.
Hang in there you'll get thrugh! But try to get at least a list of accomidations for yourself before you go off to college
alycorn
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

Return to Learning Disorders

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post