Our partner

Mind won't shut off - is this basic cause ?

Insomnia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Oliveira

Mind won't shut off - is this basic cause ?

Postby lanaar2 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:18 pm

About 1 year and 1/2 ago it started. It was gradual, my mind would eventually shut off at around 3am allowing me some sleep. But now for the past year, almost every night my mind will not shut down. I am constantly thinking, day and night, about various stuff, sometimes it's a song that won't stop playing, other times I am playing out various scenarios. Even when exhausted, my mind will still not shut off. I can't control it. After a night of this brain activity I wake up feeling wired and tense, as if I was given adrenaline, even though I did not sleep. During the day, it happens that my brain takes a break, for example, when I am driving, and this is when I start to feel sleepy.

I have not yet consulted a psychologist, but I am probably going to. Went for a doctor's check up and everything is fine physically. I do not live a stressful life, I'm 26 living with my parents, no girlfriend.

Was wondering if anyone here has this type of problem ? and how to overcome it ? thanks
lanaar2
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:05 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Mind won't shut off - is this basic cause ?

Postby 5htp » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:53 pm

meditation helps,

diet may have something to do with it also,

avoid stimulating drinks and food,

sugar, coffee, sodas, etc
5htp
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:05 am

Postby lanaar2 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:31 pm

My diet is good, no coffee, no sugar, maybe not enough veggies ? but I doubt it.

meditation seems to not be sufficient, this has become a long term problem, 5-6 days a week on average for the past year I have not been sleeping, even when exhausted my mind keeps going. Do slep pills help for this kind of thing ?
lanaar2
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:05 am

Postby 5htp » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:31 pm

I never recommend drugs for sleep or psychiatric problems, they are not a long term solution,

try some melatonin (nanoplex brand),

1mg is all you need, it may come in 3mg tablet, break it in half, take one hour before going to bed,

you can also try going to a gym that has a steam room in the afternoon,

see my cure for insomnia thread, green veggies are important, eat organic meat and poultry,

the sweating in the steam will make you release toxins from your system and that will relax you when you get home,

also look into inositol (b vitamin) it helps you relax,

if you want to go the herbal way, you can try valerian

don`t watch tv, or use a computer at night or do any exciting activity,

the evening should be a time to wind down, you need to retrain your mind to go back to a normal sleep-wake cycle,
5htp
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:05 am

Return to Insomnia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post