Our partner

Trazodone vs. Seroquel

Insomnia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Oliveira

Trazodone vs. Seroquel

Postby Heuer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:37 pm

Hi,

I have had a sleeping problem all my life.
For 36 years I have been on Elavil.

I don't like this drug, so I have tried a lot of other drugs.
Now there are only two meds left for me to try.

Trazodone
The official antidepressant of Sleepy-bye Land (crazymeds.us)
Dr Posternak about insomnia in ”The Carlat Report”:
- I often start with Trazodone, because it is safe, it generally doesn’t lead to tolerance, and people like the fact that it has no addictive potential.

Seroquel
Henry Nasrallah, a psychiatrist, in an article by Matthew Herper (Forbes.com):
”A lot of our patients beg us for sleep. And if we are going to give them something for sleep, we want to give them a mild, not harmful drug that seems to help both their sleep and their depression or anxiety. Seroquel fits the bill.”
Off-label use in a variety of mood, anxiety and personality disorders (The Carlat Report).

I would appreciate comments from anyone familiar with these drugs.

Best regards,
Heuer
Heuer
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:25 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:57 pm

i've taken neither, I was perscribed Serax as needed when I become insomniac....
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:25 am

Postby violetdawn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:27 am

i'm actually on both trazadone and seroquel right now. i was on trazadone before the seroquel though, for insomnia. it didn't help me that much. but the seroquel has, tremendously. i highly recommend you try it. i'm on 50mg, three times a day and 400mg at night before bed. i've tried everything for my insomnia and nothing else has ever worked before. it's sort of my miracle drug right now.

anyways, i'd try the seroquel first.

vi
violetdawn
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby AnonymouslyMe » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:33 pm

I Take among other things, 300mg seroquel at dinner time and 300mg at bed time. It helps fall asleep but i still wake up every 2-3 hours :/
AnonymouslyMe
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby rich1966gp » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:13 pm

sorry a little late but i have had both

trazadone does absolutely nothing for me no matter how much i take

i will never try seroquel again!!!!! made me feel like i drank the worlds largest margarita in one gulp.my legs and feet wouldnt stay still i had to get up.when i stand up i damn near fall over.i dont know who or where i am.and thats with just a sliver of the pill.take the whole pill and its 50 times worse.its not for everybody
i have bipolar,PTSD,ADD,anxiety,anger,traumatic brain injury and who knows what else
rich1966gp
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby vinceh4 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:46 am

Trazadone worked initialy, but I went up to 300mgs a night with little effect. It ended up sometimes making me sick. The tolerance was quick I was up to 300 mg within 1 month and a 1/2.
vinceh4
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:25 am

Re: Trazodone vs. Seroquel

Postby Ye-Ha » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:56 am

Heuer wrote:Hi,

I have had a sleeping problem all my life.
For 36 years I have been on Elavil.

I don't like this drug, so I have tried a lot of other drugs.
Now there are only two meds left for me to try.

Trazodone
The official antidepressant of Sleepy-bye Land (crazymeds.us)
Dr Posternak about insomnia in ”The Carlat Report”:
- I often start with Trazodone, because it is safe, it generally doesn’t lead to tolerance, and people like the fact that it has no addictive potential.

Seroquel
Henry Nasrallah, a psychiatrist, in an article by Matthew Herper (Forbes.com):
”A lot of our patients beg us for sleep. And if we are going to give them something for sleep, we want to give them a mild, not harmful drug that seems to help both their sleep and their depression or anxiety. Seroquel fits the bill.”
Off-label use in a variety of mood, anxiety and personality disorders (The Carlat Report).

I would appreciate comments from anyone familiar with these drugs.

Best regards,
Heuer

The thing is what works for one person doesn't work for another, and what worked for you last year may not work for you this year.

I used to take Trazodone in conjunction with Effexor and it worked well.

Now I am on very low levels of Cymbalta and Seroquel.

I recently tried Ambien CR instead of Seroquel becuase Seroquel may lower your metabolism and increase your appetite and I am having trouble with weight, binge eating, and drinking; however Ambien, which used to work well, isn't working well right now and Seroquel seems to never fail so I am caving and going back to Seroquel. The plan is to control the eating and drinking. I have found this website very helpful but the groups are pretty lame in their participation: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate
Ye-Ha
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:25 am

Re: Trazodone vs. Seroquil

Postby chili » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:52 am

I have been on Seroquil for the last 3 years. After long term Cocaine use, I couldn't sleep and was very depressed. Honestly, it has been my miracle drug, it controls my BPD, anxiety disorder, and mild schizophrenia. Over the years I have gradually increased my dose from 25mg's at night up to 400mg, which is where I am now. Unfortunately, it has quit working and if I take more, I have a horrible reaction where it feels like someone is stabbing me with needles. My doctor has prescribed 100mg of Trazadone with the Seroquil to help me sleep, but I am having a horrable reaction to it, and have become severely depressed.

Does anyone know of anything else that combined with the Seroquil will help them sleep since I cannot take Trazadone?
chili
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby jarichon » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:05 am

I had to quit seroquel after gaining 100 pounds on it.
geodon and abilify are much more likely to be weight neutral, FWIW.
Last edited by jarichon on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
jarichon
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:45 pm

Trazodone didn't do anything for my sleep. But it affects each user differently. Seroquel wasn't keeping me asleep either, but I felt stoned all the time so I went back to a combo of Ambien and Elavil. I actually haven't found anything that will keep me asleep and make me feel rested in the AM but they are better than nothing. You'll just have to try it and see if it works for you.
Jackssmirkingrevenge
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:25 am

Next

Return to Insomnia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post