Our partner

Can Anyone Help Identify What Is Going on Here?

Insomnia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Can Anyone Help Identify What Is Going on Here?

Postby squweh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi. I'm 53 years old. I have experienced insomnia on and off for the last ten years or so. I am reluctant, however, to use the term "insomnia", because it does not adequately describe what I experience. Frankly, I'm not sure I can properly describe what I go through during these cycles. It is not just a lack of sleep, although that is most certainly part of it. When I go through these periods, it is as if my brain is taken over by another entity during the night. I am force fed imagery that seems completely disconnected to my own mind. I am outside of the process, watching it all happen and fighting to not be a part of it. It is often repetitive and thematic, but offers no resolution; just the repetition of a grossly uncomfortable and indescribable movie frame. It is like a skipping record. This experience is not restful; quite the opposite. It sometimes is accompanied by flashing imagery or many, many voices all talking at once. None of them are mine, however. I am a reluctant (understatement) witness to all this.

Like many other threads on this page, there is a drug link here. I sometimes go through a phase of smoking weed. Not prodigious intake, but daily, and lasting for up to a couple months. Then I get tired of it and stop. Stopping can trigger these events. Also, I took Benzodiazepines for almost a year to help with insomnia. I took a low dosage and got off of it over a year ago. When things get crazy (as described above), I might take a 1mg pill to sleep one night. Works great; however, it also seems to intensify the above experience on succeeding nights.

I have poured through the internet to try and find anyone who can identify with this experience. This is not merely lack of sleep. Something else is happening here, and I am beginning to wonder if I am an anomaly.

Would appreciate any help. Thanks.
squweh
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:11 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Insomnia Forum