Our partner

Compulsive picking of scalp. I also Have Bipolar Disorder.

Impulse-Control Disorder NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Compulsive picking of scalp. I also Have Bipolar Disorder.

Postby uklady » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:37 pm

I persistantly pick my scalp, a scab that I make. I have 2 on my head at the moment which I have been picking for over a year.
I have done this since my 20s possibly earlier. I end up with bald patches on my head, and my family think its disgusting, but I dont always Know I am doing it. Its like a trance state. It makes my head very sore and I suffer migraines.
I am diagnosed with Bi polar disorder for 13 years and am on lithium, serequel, citalopram. I have had many compulsive hospital admissions for this over the years. I have never mentioned this to anyone, but after spending day after day, and hours of picking, I decided to ask if this can be helped. I think it may be someting to do with easing anxiety.

Any advice would be great.
uklady
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Compulsive picking of scalp. I also Have Bipolar Disord

Postby jasmin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi, uklady! Is there anything that helps you when you feel anxious? Maybe some anti-anxiety meds might help (new ones, if you're already on them, or a different dose or something), you could talk it over with your doctor.
Check out our trichotillomania and self injury forums and see what helps other people (there are stickies there too).
Would doing something else with your hands be helpful? How about tearing up paper or cardboard or having a hobby that involves using your hands a lot like knitting?
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Impulse-Control Disorder NOS

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post