Our partner

Obsessive Nail and cudicle picking

Impulse-Control Disorder NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Obsessive Nail and cudicle picking

Postby Integerian » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:41 pm

I obsessively pick at my cudicles alot. I've done it for years. I find it hard to stop. When i see extra skin on my cudicle i just have to pick it off. It's gotten to where i find myself looking for staples on the ground or other sharp objects to play and pick at my cudicles. Many times i accidentally make myself bleed, although minorly. Is there a medical term for excessive picking at nails and cudicles? Even so what can i do to break the habit??
Integerian
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:51 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Obsessive Nail and cudicle picking

Postby SmallTalkRed » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:17 pm

Integerian wrote:I obsessively pick at my cudicles alot. I've done it for years. I find it hard to stop. When i see extra skin on my cudicle i just have to pick it off. It's gotten to where i find myself looking for staples on the ground or other sharp objects to play and pick at my cudicles. Many times i accidentally make myself bleed, although minorly. Is there a medical term for excessive picking at nails and cudicles? Even so what can i do to break the habit??

Dear Intergerian,
it could be impulse control or OCD. Do you quit once you start bleeding?
First if you dont know why you do it, when you catch yourself, write the feelings you have. Look back and see what happened
before, you started.
If you can decide to stop, you can wear gloves, bandaids, chew gum, distract yourself. You could also start getting manicures.
I hope one of the suggestions help you.

Red
SmallTalkRed
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:51 pm

Postby bereft » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:28 pm

Hi,

The term for your behavior is onychophagia.

I was a nail biter as a child, I mangled my cuticles in the process, and I was also a hair twirler. I somehow learned to control my nail biting, but my cuticles are sometimes still a problem. I go after my nails only when they are not uniform in length or ragged. I just thought I was weird until I started reading about OCD variations

Here is a site that I found interesting

http://www.homestead.com/westsuffolkpsy ... cking.html

I have also developed a variation of trichotillomania in which I am continually scratching or picking at my scalp.

My doctor had me on Celexa for the OCD type behavior but it wasn't especially effective. I am starting on Fluvoxamine and there are other meds that seem to help with OCD, depression, and panic which seem to run together in some peope.

Good luck,

N.
Things Fall Apart
bereft
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:51 pm

Postby Integerian » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:33 pm

SmallTalkRed wrote:
Integerian wrote:I obsessively pick at my cudicles alot. I've done it for years. I find it hard to stop. When i see extra skin on my cudicle i just have to pick it off. It's gotten to where i find myself looking for staples on the ground or other sharp objects to play and pick at my cudicles. Many times i accidentally make myself bleed, although minorly. Is there a medical term for excessive picking at nails and cudicles? Even so what can i do to break the habit??

Dear Intergerian,
it could be impulse control or OCD. Do you quit once you start bleeding?
First if you dont know why you do it, when you catch yourself, write the feelings you have. Look back and see what happened
before, you started.
If you can decide to stop, you can wear gloves, bandaids, chew gum, distract yourself. You could also start getting manicures.
I hope one of the suggestions help you.

Red

It is a very obsessive compulsive thing. Not sure why i do it. Bandaids might do the trick. When i start bleeding i usually put one on.
Integerian
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby Integerian » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:36 pm

nymenche wrote:Hi,

The term for your behavior is onychophagia.

I was a nail biter as a child, I mangled my cuticles in the process, and I was also a hair twirler. I somehow learned to control my nail biting, but my cuticles are sometimes still a problem. I go after my nails only when they are not uniform in length or ragged. I just thought I was weird until I started reading about OCD variations

Here is a site that I found interesting

http://www.homestead.com/westsuffolkpsy ... cking.html

I have also developed a variation of trichotillomania in which I am continually scratching or picking at my scalp.

My doctor had me on Celexa for the OCD type behavior but it wasn't especially effective. I am starting on Fluvoxamine and there are other meds that seem to help with OCD, depression, and panic which seem to run together in some peope.

Good luck,

N.

Thanks for the sight. I actually pick at my scalp as well. There are two places near the back side of my head i always pick at. Plus, since i have bad dandruff i always pick at flakes too. I am on cymbalta which is an SNRI (serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor). It helps great with my depression. I'm also on Neurontin for stress, and provigil for ADD.
Integerian
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby airane92 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:25 am

I also bite my nails and pick my cuticles non stop. I've noticed that it happens more when I'm under stress. I have been able to stop it for months at a time by painting my nails though, a dark color. When I see the dark color it's liek a reminder not to do it. Also my boyfriend finds it repulsive lol. Theres also this nail polish stuff you can buy at the drug store that tastes really really awful id your a biter... picking is haarder to stop though even when i dont bite my nails i nvr comptlely stop picking my cuticles so i cant help you there.
airane92
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby bereft » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:58 pm

I have also found that I am less likely to pick at my nails if I have a fresh manicure. My nails are currently the same length--medium, but I know if one breaks, I will have to cut all of them back.
Things Fall Apart
bereft
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:51 pm

Postby sixty-six » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:01 am

You may have Dermatillomania. I also pick at my cuticles, push them back, and snip them off with the nail clippers. I don't really have cuticles anymore! But I pick at other areas of my body too. I posted about it here.
sixty-six
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:51 pm

Postby fingerfreak » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:42 am

Hi - I believe you and I had the exact same problem - Compulsive Finger Picking. I've found so many people - on the web and off - who suffer from this that I'm considering lobbying the medical establishment (who exactly is that??) to get this classified as its own disorder, right alongside dermatillomania (aka Compulsive Skin Picking.

By the way - I disagree with bereft who suggested that you're suffering from Onychophagia (aka Nail Biting. Now that you've overcome actual biting, you're stuck with a still-annoying habit of finger picking.

I'd suggest two things:
    Keep your nails clipped
    Shave off calluses and dead skin, e.g. using Pumice

Doing these two things will help you 1) from having the "tools", so to speak, to pick (the sharp nails, that is), and 2) help remove the rough, dead skin that you usually pick.

Hope this helps!
fingerfreak
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Acidalia » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:49 am

I am 34 and still bite my nails and pick my cuticles. I made myself bleed in class today. I also cut my toenails down to nothing and have accidently taken them completely off. I just thought I had OCD issues.
Acidalia
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:51 pm

Next

Return to Impulse-Control Disorder NOS

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post