Our partner

Sandusky

Histrionic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: masquerade, xdude, orion13213

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the Histrionic Personality Disorder forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of HPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non HP readers. Discussions related to HPD behavior are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging or encouraging these urges is not what this forum is intended for.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse from HPDs. .
Non HPD users are welcome to post here, But their questions Must have a respectful tone.
If you are a NON and have issues with an past relationship with an HPD person, it is suggested that you Post in a Relationship forum. Here is a link to that forum: relationship/

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Sandusky

Postby HarveyDent » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:05 pm

Well, this will really help things. What an a-hole:

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/allinyo ... y-disorder
The trial of Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State football coach accused of sexually abusing young boys, has already taken a surprising turn: Courtroom reports indicate that Sandusky’s defense attorneys may present evidence that he has histrionic personality disorder (HPD).

Public reaction to this news has been a collective “Huh?” HPD isn’t well known outside mental health circles. And even within the field, it’s a controversial diagnosis. In fact, an expert panel has recommended that it be dropped as a specific personality disorder from DSM-5, the forthcoming update of the standard diagnostic guide used by mental health professionals.

Using current diagnostic criteria, it’s estimated that 1 to 3 percent of adults have HPD. These individuals behave in an overly emotional and dramatic way that attracts the attention they desperately crave. Inappropriately seductive behavior is a textbook symptom. Child molestation is not. So it will be interesting to see how the HPD defense, if presented, will play out for Sandusky.
Don't you tell me 'bout your law and order
I'm tryin' to change this water to wine
HarveyDent
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:19 am
Blog: View Blog (3)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Sandusky

Postby thisislabor » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:51 pm

OH I GET NOW WHY YOU GUYS THINK EVERYTHING IS BECAUSE IT"S ATTENTION SEEKING!!!

HAHAHAHAA>>>>

it's only a personality disorder in so far as it is disruptive to other people's lives hahahahahahaa!!!!

but being overly emotional overly dramatic when your alone by yourself all day long?! ~ oh no, that doesn't fit the DSM ... ITS ONLY AN ISSUE WHEN IT AFFECTS OTHER PEOPLE!

I SEE.

... sometimes people surprise me.

- Labor.
When the time comes there will not be enough people to bury the dead.
thisislabor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:19 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby thisislabor » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:54 pm

Although people with HPD may be sexually provocative, there’s scant evidence suggesting a link to child sexual abuse. In a commentary on the Sandusky trial, Susan Cornbluth, an adjunct psychology professor at Temple University, noted: “Let’s get one thing clear, ‘acting and looking seductive’ usually has to do with how one dresses and acts toward other adults.”

A 2010 review article in the Journal of Clinical Psychology identified only a few studies that looked at this subject. One study of male pedophiles found that they scored higher than non-sex offenders on tests for all types of personality disorders. However, the connection to HPD was weaker than for many of the other disorders. In another study, child molesters actually scored lower than non-sex offenders on a histrionic personality scale.

- bwahahahaahaaaa..a.... a wait wut? you mean HPD's are less sexually explicit than other PD's? oh wait I HAVENT BEEN SAYING THAT SINCE I GOT ON THE FORUMS NOW HAVE I BEEN?!

- Labor.
thisislabor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby thisislabor » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:00 pm

I have a better idea lets classify an entire class of people as sexual predators instead of just releasing a public service announcement that HPD is represented by this guy. ... great.

now instead HPD's are just sexual predators. oh no wait... HPD doesn't exist... now all you have are sexual predators and people with extreme emotional disturbances... but not disordered people!!!!

oh no... deary me!!!!

been saying this $#%^ for a while now.

- Labor.
thisislabor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby thisislabor » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:03 pm

... this is a waste of my time. why did you bother posting something like this?

- Labor.
thisislabor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby HarveyDent » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:34 pm

thisislabor wrote: you mean HPD's are less sexually explicit than other PD's? oh wait I HAVENT BEEN SAYING THAT SINCE I GOT ON THE FORUMS NOW HAVE I BEEN?!

- Labor.

Actually, it says there's a negative correlation between HPD and pedophilia (as compared to other PDs) not "sexual explicitness." And it does say " Inappropriately seductive behavior is a textbook symptom." You really did a pick and choose number there.

thisislabor wrote:... this is a waste of my time. why did you bother posting something like this?

- Labor.

Well I don't know. I guess I must have manufactured some kind of HPD connection in my mind. Feel free to ignore my posts in the future, so as not to waste your time.
Don't you tell me 'bout your law and order
I'm tryin' to change this water to wine
HarveyDent
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:19 am
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby thisislabor » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:49 pm

note taken thanks.

- Labor.
thisislabor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby oksayhi212 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:16 pm

I have to agree Harvey, it will be interesting to follow this case and how HPD, is used as a defense.

However, in fairness to those with HPD, on here, there are many different types of HPD and some of those with HPD, have co-morbid traits with other mental illnesses (see list from web below) . Not all are the same and "most" of those that do suffer from HPD, function very well. So I would not take this personally.

This guy might show co-morbid traits of HPD, but "he is a sexual predator first and foremost". In other words "he is a pedophile (see below) first and foremost", that might show traits of HPD. I doubt his defense will work.

OK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mental_disorders List of mental disorders

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedophilia Pedophilia
oksayhi212
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby xdude » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:44 pm

Already have read several internet articles, all of which so far have been "huh, really, that's their defense?" And what's HPD got to do with being a pedophile?

It could be argued that pedophiles are by definition of their acts mentally not-right. We knew that, diagnosis aside. Regardless of whatever disorder/issues he has, they didn't enter an insanity plea, and he managed to carry on fine elsewhere in life, including the foundation for under-privileged kids.

http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/narcissi ... opath.html

Disordered or not isn't relevant as far as I'm concerned personally. If it was then we should dismiss all criminals who can get a diagnosis of ASPD.
xdude
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:19 am

Postby oksayhi212 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:49 pm

Agree Xdude.

Most ASPD's that are in prison, would beat the crap out of him. He is a pedophile first and foremost. Period.
oksayhi212
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Histrionic Personality Disorder Forum