Our partner

GF is histrionic - how to help her

Histrionic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: masquerade, xdude

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the Histrionic Personality Disorder forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of HPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non HP readers. Discussions related to HPD behavior are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging or encouraging these urges is not what this forum is intended for.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse from HPDs. .
Non HPD users are welcome to post here, But their questions Must have a respectful tone.
If you are a NON and have issues with an past relationship with an HPD person, it is suggested that you Post in a Relationship forum. Here is a link to that forum: relationship/

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

GF is histrionic - how to help her

Postby Britishperson » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:59 pm

Hello, I have been with my girlfriend for over a year now long distance, but have since worked out she is histrionic. I love her very much and want to be with her but I find myself getting exhausted by her over reactions. However I've talked to her, she doesn't recognise she's histrionic but she admits she's selfish and over reactive and has promised to work on this so I'm hopeful. I want to support her and do what's best for her, but how shoudl I deal with this? At the moment if she over reacts about something I just make some excuse to leave and let her calm down for a bit I know she really cares for me and is upset when I tell her how much she hurts me sometimes. She tells me I must be gentle with her when I point out some things that are wrong. Am I doing the right things?
Britishperson
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:06 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: GF is histrionic - how to help her

Postby thisislabor » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:24 am

sounds like it. not your first gf huh?

- Labor.
When the time comes there will not be enough people to bury the dead.
thisislabor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby masquerade » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:06 am

It sounds like you're doing all the right things, but you shouldn't be in a position where you are constantly trying to appease her at the expense of your own feelings. There should be appropriate boundaries in place, and you need to also have a sense of your own autonomy so that you don't get swamped and lose your sense of self.

No one can diagnose HPD except a professional, and if your girlfriend really does seem to be acting in disordered ways, maybe you could gently suggest that she sees someone. For any kind of therapy to be affective however, the person needs to admit to themselves that they have a problem.
http://youtu.be/myyITD5LWo4

http://youtu.be/IaBLhoWTkMI

forum-rules.php
No lap top atm so may be delayed in replying to you. If urgent please approach another moderator
masquerade
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Big C » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:42 am

Whether she is HPD or not, if one person in the relationship always has to walk around on eggshells and always be the one to accommodate, that is not a good thing.
"“If two people love each other, there can be no happy end to it”

Hemingway
Big C
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:06 pm

Postby jmJMjm » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:56 am

Britishperson wrote:Hello, I have been with my girlfriend for over a year now long distance, but have since worked out she is histrionic.

I know you didn't ask the forum for an Hpd dx, but I doubt professionals will be using Hpd dxes these days cause of some changes they made should she go to therapy. Still helps to study it though because it is, too many, a misunderstood illness I am convinced my ex wife had. She also denied being Hpd, but would not get a test. So I divorced her because whatever she was it was causing tons of grief. No empathy. No fairness in the relationship. Her, her, her, and more Her.

I love her very much and want to be with her but I find myself getting exhausted by her over reactions.

Search for the terms emotional vampires,energy vampires. Author speaks of people who exhaust you.

she doesn't recognise she's histrionic but she admits she's selfish and over reactive

Selfish isn't good, pd or not. Overreactive might signify an emotional regulation problem. Search for ERD, one of the terms they tried to use once to replace Bpd. Maybe that will help? Hpd's also have emotion regulation problems.

She tells me I must be gentle with her when I point out some things that are wrong. Am I doing the right things?

She telling you how to express yourself when you object to her selfishness and overreacting (by her own admission) behavior that you said drains you? That says a lot about her and what you can expect in the future if you keep trying to help her.

Final thoughts. If she is draining you long distance take into consideration of how much more she'd drain you if she and you were close or living together. I travel many times a week and have had some long distance relationships. I learned if things are bad or difficult far away, they usually get even worse near.

In fact I started with a long distance relationship with my ex wife. I thought moving close to her would make things better. Closing the distance, I thought was the solution to our problems. I was terribly wrong. Problems got worse, and now we have kids that are caught in the middle of her pd (even they don't like her visitation rights cause she uses them to spy on me, send me subtle messages, and to brainwash them that I'm the bad guy).

Whatever happens. Hope you do not end up in a similiar situation. Best of luck.

Big C wrote:Whether she is HPD or not, if one person in the relationship always has to walk around on eggshells and always be the one to accommodate, that is not a good thing.

Yes, and the eggshell people the books have written of are most always pd oriented.
"I never bothered disguising my identity, not because I didn't have absolute power to do so, but because wearing a mask prevents a person from seeing other people clearly whilst they're looking through a window". -The Universal Spider
jmJMjm
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby jmJMjm » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:33 am

Britishperson wrote: Am I doing the right things?

British, I forgot to mention that the right things to do is take care of yourself, to do the right things for you. If she is pd, she does not have problems you can fix, she has an illness that you cannot cure. Big difference.

In your situation that you described, I would begin contemplating very seriously what the right things are that you can do for you!

Britishperson wrote:she admits she's selfish

Time for you, you, and more you!
"I never bothered disguising my identity, not because I didn't have absolute power to do so, but because wearing a mask prevents a person from seeing other people clearly whilst they're looking through a window". -The Universal Spider
jmJMjm
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby darkblue » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:27 pm

British: 1. Check is she has some other PD traits (borderline, antisocial, narcissistic). Often, ther is co-morbid depression.2. Check if she cheats emotionally or physically on you. Quite probable. 3. Prepare for a devaluation phase. shortly. 4. Inform yourself (e.g. Emotional Vampires). 5. Give up on trying to help her - you can't. 6. Break up with respect and dignity. 7. Enter in NC. 8. Never turn back and run as fast as you can. 9. If not, you are heading towards serious mental and physical problems. It will be too late and you have been warned.
darkblue
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Britishperson » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:40 am

thisislabor wrote:sounds like it. not your first gf huh?

- Labor.

Actually she's my first serious long term GF, but glad I sound experienced :D
Britishperson
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Britishperson » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:55 am

jmJMjm wrote:
Britishperson wrote: Am I doing the right things?

British, I forgot to mention that the right things to do is take care of yourself, to do the right things for you. If she is pd, she does not have problems you can fix, she has an illness that you cannot cure. Big difference.

In your situation that you described, I would begin contemplating very seriously what the right things are that you can do for you!

Britishperson wrote:she admits she's selfish

Time for you, you, and more you!

Thanks, your srory sounds similar to mine it being long distance, thinking moving closer will help...I wish you had more good news lol

I told her she may be histrionic and she got a bit angry I thought so (thought it eant I didn't really know her after all) but calmed down and promised to work on things. I have ntoticed she's trying so I'm hopeful :)

-- Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:59 am --

darkblue wrote:British: 1. Check is she has some other PD traits (borderline, antisocial, narcissistic). Often, ther is co-morbid depression.2. Check if she cheats emotionally or physically on you. Quite probable. 3. Prepare for a devaluation phase. shortly. 4. Inform yourself (e.g. Emotional Vampires). 5. Give up on trying to help her - you can't. 6. Break up with respect and dignity. 7. Enter in NC. 8. Never turn back and run as fast as you can. 9. If not, you are heading towards serious mental and physical problems. It will be too late and you have been warned.

Thanks I did check. I know she had clinical depression in the past and looking through the internet I suspect she may be narcissistic as well a little :(

Aren't there any stories of people with histrionic disorder getting better? There must be some happy stories of things working out out there?
Britishperson
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Big C » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:42 am

Aren't there any stories of people with histrionic disorder getting better? There must be some happy stories of things working out out there?

Yes. There are a couple here. You could also win the lottery. the odds are about the same.
"“If two people love each other, there can be no happy end to it”

Hemingway
Big C
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:06 pm

Next

Return to Histrionic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views