Our partner

Can HPD be cured

Histrionic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: masquerade, orion13213, xdude

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the Histrionic Personality Disorder forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of HPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non HP readers. Discussions related to HPD behavior are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging or encouraging these urges is not what this forum is intended for.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse from HPDs. .
Non HPD users are welcome to post here, But their questions Must have a respectful tone.
If you are a NON and have issues with an past relationship with an HPD person, it is suggested that you Post in a Relationship forum. Here is a link to that forum: relationship/

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Can HPD be cured

Postby Geneva » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:09 am

I have read a lot about HPD and some articles claim the disorder can be cure, while others say it can be treated. A cure would mean it can go away but treatment refers to controlling it.
I want a cure not just treatment.

Can it go away does anyone out their know for sure

HELP!
Geneva
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Can HPD be cured

Postby Greatexpectations » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:17 am

I do not think a pathological HPD or NPD can be cured because it is a behaviour learnt/inherited early on in childhood. The brain has changed, failed to make the connections vital to experience empathy.
My son's ex girlfriend's mother was clearly HPD, a drama queen, loved conflict, jealous of her teenage daughter, abusive behind anybodies back and very destructive.
She was not capable of self awareness. Pigs would fly first.

I do think someone with HPD/NPD traits (even strong ones) if they are self aware, can change.
A ex partner of mine had strong Narcissistic traits, (his mother was NPD) he complained he had no friends. People at work avoided him. He had no idea why.
One day his boss had thought of new idea to promote the company. Joe said to him "Oh let me see" boss says NO.
Joe said why!?
Boss "There's no point, you'll do what you always do, put it down, laugh at it, and take the p#ss.
Joe "I do that??"
Boss "Yes you do, all the time you are sooo sarcastic"
Well, Joe had no idea he was giving that impression.
And he changed, he consciously changed himself.
The boss showed him the new ideas and Joe made constructive comments, he remembered not to ridicule his colleagues. And he at last made friends, good ones.
One girl admitted to him she had been so scared of him and his sharp tongue that every time he walked in the office she'd put her head down and pretended to be very very busy, hoping he would not talk to her.
He couldn't believe he'd invoked such fear!!
Geneva, I really think for you as you are self aware, with help change, even cure? is possible
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Lao Tzu
Greatexpectations
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Geneva » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:49 am

@ Greatexpectation

I have no idea what you are talking about. I do not put ppl down or proposely hurt them, I'm not ASPD. I do feel empathy I feel it more so than most ppl. Your ex sounds like my dad. If I hurt someone it eats at me. I wish ppl would understand what HPD really is. It is not what you said though.

Thanks anyway for the advice
Geneva
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Greatexpectations » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:20 pm

Ok, maybe I've understood it wrongly. I suppose I'm talking about the pathological HPDs I've known.
I don't think I have described ASPDs they usually have criminal convictions HPDs/NPDs usually do not they tend to be law abiding.
Everyone is different, an individual as are you, I did not intend to offend.
Anyway, you are self aware so I'm sure with help, perhaps a therapist, you will be able to heal and move forward.
I have just read some of your previous posts you have had a hard time Geneva. You are young and wise, your journey to healing and peace might not be a easy one, but it can be done.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Lao Tzu
Greatexpectations
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Geneva » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:37 pm

thank you
Greatexpectation
Geneva
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby xdude » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:11 pm

I think it depends what you mean by 'cured'

In old school thinking, the big difference between mental illness and PDs was that the first implied a biological malfunction of the brain, while the later implied a learned pattern of thinking that could be unlearned (well re-learned in a new way). In modern thinking it seems it is less clear if PDs are purely learned, and also unclear if what one learns at an early can be entirely un-learned/re-learned (whichever wording) later in life.

A personal thought and a bit of my personal philosophy - Personally I went through a very short 'love me for me I'm not going to change' phase in life, but then I realized what's the point of that? The only things I know in life that don't change are inanimate objects and dead people/creatures (and neither of those manages to avoid changing either; they just decompose and are forgotten in time). From my personal philosophy, one of the things that makes PDs so much like living death is that the people I've met with PDs stop growing. So locked into their patterns of thinking that they refuse to change, no matter how badly their life is going. I don't personally think there is any goal of needing to be entirely 'cured' (whatever that means), so long as we are growing/changing, generally moving toward a path that leaves us happier/fulfilled, isn't that good enough?

If I had to guess though, and from what I know about myself, I'll never be entirely free of the influence of my BPD mother growing up, but I'm more aware of that influence and continue to grow more aware. At the same time, I've learned some new ways to see the world that would have never occurred to me when I was younger. Maybe it is the same for those with HPD? Once you are self-aware, on a path where you are growing/changing, that's the first big key step, but then the rest of your life will remain one of on-going growth while at the same time those old thinking patterns will also remain a part of you and your memories too?
xdude
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:12 am

Postby okherewego212 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:01 pm

Geneva...

Once you are generally happy and content with yourself, you will be cured.

Life will always have ups and downs. Learn to moderate it.

But overall, it is worth living. When you make the best of it and feel it is worth living with who you are...than you are cured.

OK
okherewego212
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby thisislabor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:11 am

Geneva wrote:@ Greatexpectation

I have no idea what you are talking about. I do not put ppl down or proposely hurt them, I'm not ASPD. I do feel empathy I feel it more so than most ppl. Your ex sounds like my dad. If I hurt someone it eats at me. I wish ppl would understand what HPD really is. It is not what you said though.

Thanks anyway for the advice

@Geneva,

i have a feeling some of this misunderstanding about HPD's do not feel empathy comes from a completely different thinking style/emotional pattern over a long period of time. I have been watching my behaviors on here and on a few other forums and they all seem to improve from my interactions from each one in different ways. and not usually in the ways that I expect them too either. I don't know if I would give up hope just yet. if nothing else you learn to interact with "more people" than just fitting into "the group" of people.

- Labor.

-- Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:12 am --

okherewego212 wrote:Geneva...

But overall, it is worth living. When you make the best of it and feel it is worth living with who you are...than you are cured.

OK

I no have six-pack, harem, and a 4' tall man servant. I R Not Happy Yet. :D

but seriously though... this "ego - development" thing is the interim path to "emotional development" isn't it though? that is how that works? - i don't think I understood what you were talking about before... like, a month ago or so or more past?

- Labor.
When the time comes there will not be enough people to bury the dead.
thisislabor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby masquerade » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:12 am

http://www.psinstitute.org/index.php
http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc. ... 41581&cn=8
http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc. ... 36389&cn=8

I thought that the above links might help you. There has been a lot of evidence that Dialectical Behavioural Therapy can be successful in treating various personality disorders, in particular BPD, which in many ways is similar to HPD. It can also be possible to create new neurological pathways in the brain through changing one's behaviour. The more frequently the new behaviour is repeated, the greater the chance of new neurological pathways being formed.

There has been a lot of debate as to whether nature or nurture causes a personality disorder, and it may be that there could be a genetic tendency towards HPD, which is compounded by early traumatic life experiences. Basically, a person is born with certain tendencies towards traits, and these traits may become maladaptive and manifest in the form of a personality disorder if there are significant traumas and stress factors in early life.

Your core personality will remain the same, and in HPD people the core personality is usually the Dramatic Type http://www.ptypes.com/dramatic.html http://psyed.org/r/pers/pt/histrionic.html

The aim of therapy would be to modify the maladaptive traits, integrating them into a more balanced and adjusted personality.

Through exploring your earlier life experiences within a therapeutic setting, talking about them, and accessing suppressed emotions, you can begin to observe a connection between the past and the present and how this has impacted upon your thoughts, feelings, reactions and behaviour. Having this knowledge will increase your awareness of yourself and give you insight. CBT or DBT therapy can help you to challenge faulty assumptions and thought processes and modify your reactions and behaviour.

The DSM does not include a lack of empathy amongst the symptoms of HPD. Unlike a sociopath, you were not born without empathy, and the lack of empathy that sometimes occurs in HPD could perhaps be related to being stuck in an earlier stage of development, in which the person is somewhat egocentric, rather like a child. This often manifests itself most strongly when the person with HPD is going through stress or emotional upheaval, and it can also occur with nons when they are angry or depressed. Empathy levels in people, whether they are disordered or not, are rarely static, and it is well known that they are virtually non existent during periods of intense anger or strong emotion.

You are motivated to find healing, and motivation and self awareness will enable you to benefit greatly from therapy.

Perhaps you should aim for healing rather than a "cure". The word "cure" implies that you will one day suddenly not be disordered, and therefore your journey towards recovery will be over. The journey towards healing is a lifelong one, that continues well after therapy has ended. This is good because it will provide daily opportunities for growth and learning, and these opportunites can only serve to enrich you.
http://youtu.be/myyITD5LWo4

http://youtu.be/IaBLhoWTkMI

forum-rules.php
No lap top atm so may be delayed in replying to you. If urgent please approach another moderator
masquerade
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby OtherHPD » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:29 pm

okherewego212 wrote:Geneva...

OK

What OK says above is the best answer you are ever going to get. There is no 'cure' for a PD.
Since getting my diagnosis a few years ago I can remember showing the signs for HPD as far back as 25 or more years ago. It is something that is PART of me but it is NOT me. Learning to moderate what you do and do not like about yourself is going to make you happier in the long run than anything else you can do. How you learn to do that moderation is up to you. You can experiment on your own or submit to the care of a professional or a combination of those or even things I can't think of right now.
The bottom line is: Get happy with who you are and as long as you are happy then you will be 'cured'.
OtherHPD
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:12 pm

Next

Return to Histrionic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post