Our partner

A tendency to play the martyr in a big way?

Histrionic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: masquerade, xdude

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the Histrionic Personality Disorder forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of HPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non HP readers. Discussions related to HPD behavior are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging or encouraging these urges is not what this forum is intended for.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse from HPDs. .
Non HPD users are welcome to post here, But their questions Must have a respectful tone.
If you are a NON and have issues with an past relationship with an HPD person, it is suggested that you Post in a Relationship forum. Here is a link to that forum: relationship/

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

A tendency to play the martyr in a big way?

Postby Curious_123 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:56 pm

I am really just curious as to whether this is characteristic of some people with HPD? I'm thinking of a particular person in my life, whose behavior perplexes me. After a lot of Google searches I think he best fits the description for HPD, except that his "biggest" thing is Playing The Victim, and I don't see this as being linked to any particular personality disorder. He does fit the other criteria for HPD though.

Mostly I see this in regard to relationships and employment. In relationships, according to him, he is always the saint, the martyr, and he is forced to do everything for the other person, who is veritably helpless without him. He'll claim his significant other can't / couldn't take care of themsevles at all, and he runs himself ragged caring for them, until it inevitably gets to be too much and he "has" to detach and take care of himself. On closer examination, though, his idea of doing "everything" seems to involve being assigned routine chores like taking out the trash and fixing things around the house, while his significant other does in fact have domestic duties of her own.

In terms of his employment history, he is extremely charming and so he seems to land himself a lot of good positions. From what I know about his actual work performance, though, he tends to be semi-lazy at work. Not that he won't do anything, but he'll enthusiastically do the things that appeal to him and ignore everything else (which is often the boring, but more important, paperwork / detail oriented side of things,) and attempt to dump this in someone else's lap or just put it off until someone else is forced to do it for him.

The kicker, though, is that after doing this he really believes he is entirely responsible for any and all success that happens at his place of work, no matter how much he actually contributed. In his mind he single-handedly made sure the new project, office, store, etc., was successful, and, I think, really believes that those around him cruelly "stole" his rightful success from him by not acknowledging this and handing over all the rewards to him (top title, ownership, profits - it varies by situation.) He doesn't overtly get angry but quietly seeths with rage at all the various "injustices" he believes others have committed against him.

As I said, I can see HPD, but to me the whole resounding need to play the victim is the most prominent thing that I see with him, and I wonder if this is HPD or something else?
Curious_123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:24 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: A tendency to play the martyr in a big way?

Postby thisislabor » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:09 pm

I do a desk job that is only paperwork. but... I could still see where he would not see doing all the follow up paperwork as "work" if he doesn't see how it brings the company revenues. He may not have been challenged enough at his current job to ever be forced to see how all the follow up paperwork actually protects and helps his regular job.

I know I have personally had that issue before.

and yes, I do do the playing the victim role a tad.. not necessarily a purposeful thing as it is my default normal running just how I think behavior.. but I have come learn that I do that because I don't believe the rest of the world believes in forgiveness of basic and regular mistakes of "normal" and "common" behavior. - does that make sense?

fyi - I am an HPD male.

- Thisislabor.
When the time comes there will not be enough people to bury the dead.
thisislabor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Curious_123 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:14 am

Thanks for the reply ThisIsLabor - it's good to hear the other side of it. It's easy to just get offended when someone seems to be taking more credit than they're due, but it helps me understand more when I realize he might genuinely not understand how certain responsibilities affect things.
Curious_123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby SansStars » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:36 am

I'll admit, I did not read the wall-o-text OP. My attention span isn't that long. But.. I do agree with this..

thisislabor wrote:
and yes, I do do the playing the victim role a tad.. not necessarily a purposeful thing as it is my default normal running just how I think behavior.. but I have come learn that I do that because I don't believe the rest of the world believes in forgiveness of basic and regular mistakes of "normal" and "common" behavior. - does that make sense?

I think, just based on your thread title, that playing the martyr is a good way to put it. Everything I do is extraordinary for everyone because I'm wonderful and I take all the burden for you. My life is so hard so give me extra praise.
Without stars, only darkness can ensue.
SansStars
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:24 pm

Postby OtherHPD » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:01 pm

I think it goes hand in hand with our blame shifting and gaslighting abilities. If someone else is to blame then we must, naturally, be the victim.
OtherHPD
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:24 pm

Return to Histrionic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post