Our partner

Addicted to HPDs?

Histrionic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the Histrionic Personality Disorder forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of HPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non HP readers. Discussions related to HPD behavior are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging or encouraging these urges is not what this forum is intended for.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse from HPDs. .
Non HPD users are welcome to post here, But their questions Must have a respectful tone.
If you are a NON and have issues with an past relationship with an HPD person, it is suggested that you Post in a Relationship forum. Here is a link to that forum: relationship/

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Re: Addicted to HPDs?

Postby mushybaNaNaNa » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Maybe.

Honestly though.. The relationship was built on false pretenses. She thought i wanted to change the world for the better like her. I slowly revealed myself to the point where she forgot who i used to be in the first place. But every time I left her and she came back, she would fall right back into it.

I just can not stand her narcissism so i really just reeled the lure back in after the first couple weeks. Was basically riding off the wave i created until it crashed.

It was a perfect summer relationship, with a hysterical narcissist.
mushybaNaNaNa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby cesar214 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:35 am

I know this is a late answer to a old topic but i just can't help responding to it.

I think that the fragility of people having HPD is really exaggerated. See, the girl is not on a HPD support forum trying to figure out what to do. You are. If she is HDP, she would love :roll: to know that.

From my experience and my experience only:

If you want to see if she really cares, don't look for crying or depression signs in her, if she let's you see it, it's probably fake ;) . The point of being histrionic is not showing true emotions, you have no idea how uncomfortable is doing that ( or you do, idk ).

Just look just for a really, really big disaster in your near proximity :D

Have in mind that if she was me, then you would probably have all your friends telling you how great i was last night and all of your exes showing up in my "new friends feed" on Facebook. And that's just top of head at 3am in the morning. :)

And if you have any doubts, think about this one. If there was an hypothetical mob, the guy wielding a pitchfork would be AsPD but the guy yelling burn the witch and pointing would be most definitely HPD or NDP :lol:
cesar214
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

Postby Fr4nz83 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:38 am

cesar214 wrote:I know this is a late answer to a old topic but i just can't help responding to it.

I think that the fragility of people having HPD is really exaggerated. See, the girl is not on a HPD support forum trying to figure out what to do. You are. If she is HDP, she would love :roll: to know that.

From my experience and my experience only:

If you want to see if she really cares, don't look for crying or depression signs in her, if she let's you see it, it's probably fake ;) . The point of being histrionic is not showing true emotions, you have no idea how uncomfortable is doing that ( or you do, idk ).

Just look just for a really, really big disaster in your near proximity :D

Have in mind that if she was me, then you would probably have all your friends telling you how great i was last night and all of your exes showing up in my "new friends feed" on Facebook. And that's just top of head at 3am in the morning. :)

And if you have any doubts, think about this one. If there was an hypothetical mob, the guy wielding a pitchfork would be AsPD but the guy yelling burn the witch and pointing would be most definitely HPD or NDP :lol:

Are you sure you are histrionic? Were you diagnosed? Your style is quite different from many histrionic girls writing in this forum...but perhaps this is due to the fact you're a man, and HPD men have a strong tendency to be comorbid with NPD :)

Indeed, you really sound more like an NPD (and, perhaps, a little bit ASPD, given your thought about faking emotions which points out the will to be pitied when it is useful for you...? :D)
Fr4nz83
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

Postby cesar214 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:33 am

The first time i was diagnosed by my school psychology teacher when i was 17 ( i am 25 now ). He was a friend so i didn't pay to much attention to it an forgot about it.

The second time was when i had to go to a professional for missing a lot of classes. He did take some time to figure out what is wrong with me and gave me this diagnostic without knowing about the previous one. He said it's really uncommon for a guys as they usually end up with NPD instead.

I did see a professional 3 years ago but it ended badly when she asked me out :roll: ( to be fair i never told her about the other two ).

From what i gathered, people with PD usually are't confined to only one, so i might as well have some NPD behaviors ( i probably do ). AsPD i doubt because i only have one or two of the diagnosing criteria and i never had any problems with authority or any violet outbursts.

I never met a guys like this. Not even one. I met a lot of girls like me but i find them to be more self destructive :lol: .

I have a good friend with NPD so i had the time to look for differences.

There aren't many but he doesn't need social boost ( i shutdown without it ) , he is much more cut throat than i am and he's more preoccupied with appearances as i tend to sway depending on the context ( the image i want to put forward ) :D
cesar214
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby xdude » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:52 pm

Hey cesar214,

Yes it does seem to be true that some people with NPD don't tend to need the social boosts (or are very selective about who they seek the boost from), while for HPD types the social boost is more or less a must have. I think your also right that people sometimes don't exactly fit into one diagnosis or another but can have traits that cross multiple diagnosis. In a way NPD and HPD are more alike than different. Some differences for sure, but the core reason behind both seems similar to me (but that's just my opinion).
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
xdude
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Fr4nz83 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:55 am

xdude wrote:Hey cesar214,

Yes it does seem to be true that some people with NPD don't tend to need the social boosts (or are very selective about who they seek the boost from), while for HPD types the social boost is more or less a must have. I think your also right that people sometimes don't exactly fit into one diagnosis or another but can have traits that cross multiple diagnosis. In a way NPD and HPD are more alike than different. Some differences for sure, but the core reason behind both seems similar to me (but that's just my opinion).

I think that HPD is closer to BPD than NPD, IMHO...i'll explain myself better: the common thing about NPD and HPD is that they both seek attention. However, NPDs need attention for ego boost, while HPDs need attention for validation (which is the core reason behind BPD as well).

Indeed, if you read here http://maretwebproject.com/users/docs/histrionic.pdf you will also find that HPDs tend to "decompose" to BPDs when they are under heavy stress. From personal experience, my ex HPD scored also at least 7 out of 9 traits for what relates to BPD (but it is just my case).
Fr4nz83
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby cesar214 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:29 am

I often see HPD in some kind of relationship or type of friendship with a BPD.

The HPD i know ( myself included ) have a limited battery of self esteem. True, it's really powerful battery but it's very,very short and it's charged with constant drama. The more drama, the more charge, the more self esteem and power to influence people / groups.

The BPD has the ability to create huge amounts of drama when they are being reckless, both socially and physically. So the HPD will piggyback on that, influencing the BPD to do things that attract attention to the his / herself and then emerge as a savior, judge, shrink or any other fantasy they want to play out.

BDP tend to just do things without thinking of the consequences. HDP spent a lot of time thinking about consequences and are aware of their actions and the social impact of what they do ( even doh it doesn't always look that way ).

In my case, when the battery runs out there is a small BPD state that follows where i become desperate for attention but it's short ( lasting a few hours / days ) and then, if attention is not gained, there is a depressive state.

Have in mind that HDP tend to mimic other PD like BPD or NPD and are emphatic so they can be influenced to act borderline in some situations by being around borderlines as they want to fit in with the group. :D
cesar214
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Fr4nz83 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:15 pm

cesar214 wrote:I often see HPD in some kind of relationship or type of friendship with a BPD.

The HPD i know ( myself included ) have a limited battery of self esteem. True, it's really powerful battery but it's very,very short and it's charged with constant drama. The more drama, the more charge, the more self esteem and power to influence people / groups.

The BPD has the ability to create huge amounts of drama when they are being reckless, both socially and physically. So the HPD will piggyback on that, influencing the BPD to do things that attract attention to the his / herself and then emerge as a savior, judge, shrink or any other fantasy they want to play out.

BDP tend to just do things without thinking of the consequences. HDP spent a lot of time thinking about consequences and are aware of their actions and the social impact of what they do ( even doh it doesn't always look that way ).

In my case, when the battery runs out there is a small BPD state that follows where i become desperate for attention but it's short ( lasting a few hours / days ) and then, if attention is not gained, there is a depressive state.

Have in mind that HDP tend to mimic other PD like BPD or NPD and are emphatic so they can be influenced to act borderline in some situations by being around borderlines as they want to fit in with the group. :D

NOW you definitely sound HPD! :D

You know, I find HPD people very funny/cool, and so I'm attracted towards them...this also probably because - according to my psychologist - I have a borderline style (not the disorder!) personality...you know, cluster Bs tend to attract to each other...and for me it would be actually really interesting to know an HPD male, you are rarer than HPD females :D
Fr4nz83
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby cesar214 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:02 pm

I am glad that you think i just may be not lying to you after all, random internet person! :lol:

I think it's really cool also. And even if i didn't, there actually is no way to cure someone of their personality :D . It's my opinion ( shared by some psychologists ) that everyone gravitates towards one of the PD, i think it becomes a PD when it get's in the way of your day to day life.

I can go as far as saying that actually this are coping mechanisms gone haywire ( in the case of PD ) since it appears that this behaviours are common across the species and allow people to balance social responses. But that's just my opinion.

Cluster B tend to attract everybody :lol: :lol: !! Except cluster A, which are weird and not very interesting ...

I am glad to meet you to Fr4nz83 :D
cesar214
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby mushybaNaNaNa » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:17 am

Ah, typical HPD. Seeing it as more about them than it really is.

My purpose on this forum is far from what it looks like with my opening post. Anyone who knows me in real life would read my first post and say, "What is he trying to do?", then they would read the whole thread and say, "HAHAHA, his ex must be absolutely warped".

Anyway, you are right, she most likely isn't on here looking for answers. She thinks she has it figured out, or she is ignoring reality. Either way, the denial of what happened will eventually ruin her. She would not have realized it until i explicitly told her, because this is how i run my life. She thinks she is the better actor, but she is far too emotional to ever have enough control of the scene.

I bet the truth set her free... maybe made her stronger... but the unrequited love will forever haunt her. Mine and her parents.

Welp.. the world is still spinning
mushybaNaNaNa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Histrionic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post