Our partner

I'm having severe panic and anxiety are these meds good ok?

Generalized Anxiety Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

I'm having severe panic and anxiety are these meds good ok?

Postby thisisfate » Sat May 14, 2011 7:16 am

So I've been having really bad anxiety/panic attacks. My doctor had me on Welbutrin, Hydroxyzine, and Xanax. Well the Welbutrin ended up giving me negative side effects. Instead of decreasing my anxiety I was up for 3/4 days straight wired not being able to sleep. My legs would shake when I did actually sleep. My panic was worse than ever, I was in fear of everything and everyone. So with my doctors permission I stopped taking the Welbutrin. She wanted to find something else.
I've been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, and Anxiety/Panic Disorder as well as Depression.
At the moment my severe symptoms are Anxiety/Panic.. it gets to a really manic phase. Where my mind will race rapidly with these terrible thoughts.. somethings that have happened... something that have never happened that I fear will for no reason. I start to get scared. When I'm visiting my mom for instance or a best friend.. I'll randomly have an attack and be scared of them and my surroundings for no reason and have to leave. In my own apartment I'll feel the same way. There's nothing specific that causes this. But it's always at it's worse. I can't even watch something simple on television such as The Disney Channel without getting an attack.
I've been to the ER on several occasions because I couldn't control the physical symptoms and my heart was extremely irregular from these attacks. I'm a 21 year old female and severely over weight due to the past medications that I have tried. All of this have put me into severe depression because I fear that I can't over come this, and it's really the worst thing that has ever happened to me. I feel hopeless.
So my doctor prescribed me with Hydroxyzine 50 MG, Zyprexa 7.5, and Alprazolam 2MG.
I got these on Thursday and it's now Saturday morning and I'm petrified on taking these so I haven't start yet I'm in fear of a bad reaction.
The person who prescribes these medications is only a physician that is licensed to prescribe medication. She not an actual psychiatrist.
Based on the emotional symptoms I have described do you think that these particular medications are a good match for me?
Any information, thoughts or advice would be really helpful for me.
Thank you.
thisisfate
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:55 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I'm having severe panic and anxiety are these meds good ok?

Postby jasmin » Wed May 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi, thisisfate! I'm sorry this forum is slow, how are you? Did you take any of the meds? You could try it for a little while and see how you're feeling. Your psych definitely has to learn about what's going on though.
I hope they really work hard to find the right combination of meds for you, I have a friend who was finally put on meds that work for her and she's doing better.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:55 pm

Postby eduardo » Sun May 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Have you tried consulting with a psychologist?
(not a psychiatric, a psychologist)
There is a lot of "hidden agenda" behind bi-polar, borderline disorder and all of this...
I suggest you'll go talk to a therapist, no regards to the meds you are taking
‎~ ~ A Coward Dies A Thousand Deaths, A Courageous Man Only Once...
http://www.freementalhealthinfo.com
eduardo
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:55 pm

Postby TheOptomisticOcelot » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:21 pm

Hey, I just thought I'd point out that, at least in my part of the world, psychologists cannot prescribe medication. You need either a general practioner or a psychiatrist for that. My first two medications were prescribed by a GP, but after it started to seem like the second was not working, I saw a psychologist, who sent me to a psychiatrist so that they could assess me and prescribe me with something. I was taken off the medication I was taking and on to a new one, but they did not do much in the way of assessing, which annoyed me. It really bothers me and worries me that no one is willing to diagnose me. But that isn't the point.

My point is that the medication I'm on is frequently prescribed by GPs- my sister is one, and prescribes it often when its needed. I'd recomed trying it, and if it does not work, get a referrel to see a psychologist. If needed, they can refer you again from there to get a new prescription. Also keep in mind that it takes months to know if something is working or not. My current one is supposed to take a year. I also know that GPs do have to do some training in psychology, or at least, my sister did. It was not as much as a psychologist, but she had to do some subjects on it, and do a rotation in a psychiatric ward. This may vary a little from country to country, but your doctor (hopefully) is qualified to prescribe medication so it should be okay.

On the subject of sideaffects, you can probably search online for any side effects of the medication you were prescribed, if it doesn't tell you on (or on paper inside) the box. I've also found that it can help to ask a pharmacist. They know about side effects, and have fact sheets that they may be willing to provide a copy for you. Alternatively, you could go back to the doctor, or get a second oppinion from another doctor if you are really concerned.
TheOptomisticOcelot
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:25 pm

Return to Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post