Our partner

Finding Root Cause of GAD

Generalized Anxiety Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Finding Root Cause of GAD

Postby IntellectualCat » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:34 am

I have been having trouble managing my anxiety. I'm thinking of trying to see if figuring out the root cause of the anxiety would be helpful. As much as I am worrying about any sort of thing, I think that it is likely that my anxiety has a root cause, as identifying a root cause last time I had GAD helped. Another reason I think it is likely is that I started having anxiety again after some difficult life circumstances.

It is more difficult now than it was the last time it happened already, so I wondering if anyone has suggestions to help with identifying the root cause.
Dx: Autism, ADHD, social anxiety, GAD, major depression
Suspecting: Bipolar, among other things
My blog about neurodiversity
IntellectualCat
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:41 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Finding Root Cause of GAD

Postby creative_nothing » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:37 pm

I guess GAD is hyperactive amygdala, so you get exarcebated flight and fight arousal.

I guess the same condition happens also on BPD and PTSD and other Anxiety Disorders.

On practice, the GAD diagnosis is mostly residual I guess. I mean, if you cannot explain the anxiety by trauma(ptsd) and dont have other specific symptons like social anxiety, panic disorder, ocd you have GAD.
Dx. GAD
In the animal kingdom, the rule is, eat or be eaten; in the human kingdom, define or be defined
Thomas Szasz
creative_nothing
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:41 am

Re: Finding Root Cause of GAD

Postby Copy_Cat » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:06 am

Anxiety is an emotional reaction to a belief

Beliefs are the root cause.

Identify the Core Belief
Identifying a core belief is like solving a mystery of the illusions in your mind. You have to follow some clues to get down to the hidden beliefs in the unconscious. Let’s use the example of fear of public speaking. Fear of public speaking isn’t a core belief. It is an emotional reaction to a belief. The thought a person has is that, “They will think I’m a stupid idiot.” This is the fear, but not the belief. Fears associated with what other people think of us are very common. This same dynamic can occur in the mind when asking for a raise, asking someone out on a date, or asking for what we want.

http://www.pathwaytohappiness.com/writings_falsebeliefs.htm
I survived psychiatry.
Copy_Cat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:41 am

Return to Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum