Our partner

Anxiety and Excessive Yawning

Generalized Anxiety Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Anxiety and Excessive Yawning

Postby Photo_Bug23 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:47 am

Has anyone experienced anxiety with excessive yawning? I have and had some shortness of breath with my attacks. I would try to yawn in order to catch a deep breath and seem to not be able to get that deep satisfying deep breath. I have been to doctors in the past for chest pains in which nothing was found wrong with me. It would be noted as digestive (GERD) or anxiety. That rarely happens when I go with chest pains. Now days it is excessive yawning that is the main symptom. I went to the walk in clinic one night last week because I had two episodes of excessive yawning with some shortness of breath. I was afraid to wait and so I went that night. My heart rate was up a little as well as my blood pressure. I had clammy skin as well along with the excessive yawning and shortness of breath. I was still in an attack at the clinic but it was gradually getting better. I think the trigger was that I was going to meet the rest of my fiances family the next day. I was working myself up physically with all the anxiety that I was really nervous or fearful of meeting them. It never has been as bad as this. What are some breathing techniques I can do to help calm me down?
Photo_Bug23
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:20 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Anxiety and Excessive Yawning

Postby P0ppy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:38 am

I just recently noticed this about myself! When I have high anxiety, I used to have trouble breathing, but lately I just noticed that I yawn a whole lot. I guess it's the bodies way of trying to correct its breath.

What I do to help my breathing/calm me down is this: breathe all the way in (deep breath), hold your breath for three seconds, breathe out, hold for three seconds, repeat. I usually do it 3-5 times and it helps (for a little while, at least).
P0ppy
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:20 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post