Our partner

Constant singing in my head.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Constant singing in my head.

Postby verticalist » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:33 am

Hi, I'm new in the forums. I have a problem with constant music in my head. It seems to be my inner voice replaying songs on an on (normally songs heard recently, but sometimes old songs start playing randomly). I have 20 now, but it started about three years ago. I think it could be anxiety, but i've done some research on this topic and I don't have most symptoms. I've even visited a pyschiatrist, which prescribed my SSRIS although he wasn't sure whether I had OCD, anxiety or none. I'm on my second year at university and focusing while studying has become too hard. I can't even stop singing at my tests so I'm failling miserably. That is what really terrifies me. Do you know what could it be? There are so many possible causes that i feel lost right now. I hope you can help me find the root of the problems so I can carry on with my life. Thanks.
verticalist
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Constant singing in my head.

Postby lilyfairy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:05 pm

Hi there

What you describe sounds difficult and frustrating to deal with. I've not experienced anything like it, other than getting songs stuck in my head from time to time, but it doesn't interfere with what I'm doing.

Does focussing on something in particular help at all? A project of some sort where you can try to drown out the music? Would playing some music out loud (CD/ipod/radio) help to bring your focus back to something else or to different music? Or trying to focus on the other sounds going on around you?

I hope you can find something that helps you.

Take care
Lily
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:52 am

Postby verticalist » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:52 pm

lilyfairy wrote:Hi there

What you describe sounds difficult and frustrating to deal with. I've not experienced anything like it, other than getting songs stuck in my head from time to time, but it doesn't interfere with what I'm doing.

Does focussing on something in particular help at all? A project of some sort where you can try to drown out the music? Would playing some music out loud (CD/ipod/radio) help to bring your focus back to something else or to different music? Or trying to focus on the other sounds going on around you?

I hope you can find something that helps you.

Take care
Lily

It stops when I watch tv, listen to music or have a conversation. I wish it would when I study...
When i was younger I could have overstimulated my brain with music, but so as other people do and they don't have it that bad (only temporal earworms). Right now, I try to avoid music in order not to make it stronger.

-- Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:52 pm --

Anyone?
verticalist
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby verticalist » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:53 pm

I'm updating the thread, cause i seriously need some help with this... Is there anyone with same problem who has overcome it with treatment, drugs or something else? I really appreciate your opinions.
verticalist
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Anonymous Anomality » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:48 am

I too have some thing similar to what you have, only mine are melodies. They can be recognizable melodies or never heard before melodies. I can only describe what I have as the same as hearing voices in the head, which I get too some times. I've never considered it could be from anxiety. I have bipolar with psychosis, social and general anxiety and some ocd too. I suppose it's possible.

My melodies can sometimes be soothing and comforting, but also annoying and distracting too. I can not will them to start or will them to stop. They just do automatically. The volume can also vary from very low and faint to loud too. Perhaps what I have is different, I just thought you might like to hear about something similar.
Anonymous Anomality
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

Postby Nickydo73 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:33 am

Hi anonymous, just to let you know that your not alone with this. I have had constant music in my head for a couple of years now and in my case it is anxiety related as I have been diagnosed with gad and OCD tendencies.

It starts the moment I wake up. It might be what was last in my head the night before (I currently have coldplays Tell Me You Love Me). It could be one I'm not familiar with in which case I probably dreamt it and it'd made up. People might not think it's such a big deal having this but it really can seriously impact you. One thing that helps me is to focus on my breath instead of the music, counting in for 4 seconds and out for two. Whenever the song tries to get in (and it will try) I acknowledge it and focus back to the breath. On a good day I can eliminate it until the next song is heard. It takes practice and try not get frustrated. I hope this helps a little.

Nick
Nickydo73
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm

Postby alias.S.and.J » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:58 am

In my youth I can remember having much the same problem, but not to the extent you seem to have, and it didn't last that long. But portable music was not available then, unfortunately or fortunately ... :?

Listening to a source of white noise might help, that is, like the sound you get when listening to older analogue radios when not tuned properly to the actual radio station. This should at least mask the music, and gradually lowering the volume over time might do the trick. It will need some experimentation but might at least allow you to concentrate on other things. It seems that an app exists for the iPhone, and there will probably be white noise generators available, but an alternative will be a small minature radio, as long as it is analogue rather than digital, since often the latter screen out any hiss. I'm sure that if you explained your problem to college staff, they would understand and let you use any device you saw fit to use. Perhaps worth a try.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/garde ... .html?_r=0

A longer term solution might be in doing some singing or learning to play an instrument, since this, like the anagram approach (link below) might divert attention away from internal listening. Going for long walks in quiet surroundings might also be helpful, as might be any physical activity that requires your full attention.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... worms.html

For many, this problem just goes away eventually, but it seems it can last for much longer periods. I hope it is the former in your case. Good luck. :)
Obituary: The human race
They have to be congratulated for finally becoming one 'nation', unfortunately it came too late to avert their inevitable demise. The tools lay unused in the toolbox.

Why pay to be in the audience at someone else's performance when you can be the star in your own production. OOYL
alias.S.and.J
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm

Return to Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post