Our partner

I over-explain everything!!

Generalized Anxiety Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

I over-explain everything!!

Postby Wintersbane » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:58 am

Every time I'm trying to tell someone something I always feel the need to explain every detail. If I don't I feel as if maybe people will think I'm dumb or that perhaps I won't make sense.

As a result I often annoy people when I'm talking or if I'm writing, people won't read my comments because they are "too long." I'm often told I sound dramatic or like I am exaggerating because I can't relax when I talk/write.

Even now I'm really struggling to keep this short because I'm worried that I haven't explained things right and I'll look stupid in front of everyone. I wish I could just relax and keep my words simple instead of writing a whole essay each time I reply or comment.
Wintersbane
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:50 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I over-explain everything!!

Postby Jam4 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:28 pm

I feel the same way. I'm constantly giving too much detail. For some reason I feel the person won't get the full story right if I don't. I'm compelled to. It drives my husband crazy. If he tells a story about something that happened to us, I'm constantly correcting him. Or if I have a dream and I'm telling him about it, I'll go into every little detail I can remember. He says just give me the gist of it, but I can't. People say I ramble too much and give out too much info about myself, but I can't help it. So your not alone in that respect.
Jam4
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:20 pm

Postby Wintersbane » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:06 am

Exactly! I can't help it either, my sister is always telling me off saying "okay I get it already!" And I'm often ignored by some people because they find my rambling annoying.
Ironically I don't talk that much in general, I'm a quiet person. But when I do I just seem to say too much and annoy everyone.

I often say way too much about myself too. People say I can be way too open about things and don't know when to draw the line to the "too much information" side of things. I do embarrass myself sometimes and I hate it, though sometimes I am glad because I think some things need to be said and while other people aren't confident to talk about something, I just say it.
Maybe I shouldn't but, I can't always tell if I'm going too far or not. I've always believed silence causes ignorance but at the same time I tend to make an idiot of myself a lot too. >_<
Wintersbane
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:50 am

Postby Jam4 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:28 pm

EXACTLY!! Everything you just said, dido. Everyone has said I have no filter or I'm tactless. I dint know when to stop. I even have a hard time ordering any kind if food for my family. If its just me, I'm fine, but add others and I'm a fumbling idiot. The order takers are always frustrated with me over explaining what I want. And at the end, I'm even confused. I've said too much at work a few times and have gotten people mad at me for saying it how it is. Although, im not much of a quiet person. I live to socialize, so im telling a lot of strangers meaningless info about myself. I think that's why I lime this place, I don't have to worry about "TMI". I just write what im thinking. It especially happens when im uncomfortable, I'll just keep talking so there's no silence. I can't stand the uncomfortable silence. Then oopps, here comes to much info.
Jam4
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:20 pm

Return to Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post